PDA

View Full Version : Do I have the book for you machinist types...

PatMarlin
02-21-2007, 01:15 AM
My Lovely wife just brought me home a 1941 version of:

"Audels Machinists and Tool Makers Handy Book" by Frank D. Graham

Talk about an awesome how to. Now I can have more and all the info I need on running my little combo lathe machine.

She paid a whopping .50 for it! Neener, neener.. :mrgreen:

floodgate
02-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Pat:

Those old Audels are wonderful books, expecially the old ones with the limp black leather covers with gold lettering, and the gold or red page edges. I had a carton half full of them I had collected over the years, but gave most of them to the local steam engine restoration club awhile back. I think I've still got one of the Handy Books - will check tomorrow.

floodgate.

PS: I passed out a copy of the Zumbo column, the Brady bilge, and the text of the HR bill at our gun club meet this evening. Got people really thinking!

PatMarlin
02-21-2007, 05:15 AM
That's great Doug.

Wish I had a gun club. Wait a minute... this is my gun club.. :drinks:

uscra112
02-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Yeah, people expected to have to do a lot more of their own repair and fabricating work when they lived on a farm and might not see a town over 2000 people but once or twice a lifetime. Nowadays if something doesn't work, we are expected to throw it away and buy new. I suppose we mess about with guns as a form of protest . . .?

PatMarlin
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, people expected to have to do a lot more of their own repair and fabricating work when they lived on a farm and might not see a town over 2000 people but once or twice a lifetime. ?

That could easily describe my life now. That's why I work on learning this stuff.

PatMarlin
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Just found this old thread... Heee, hee...:mrgreen:

If you would have told me what I would be doing today, I would have offered you a stiff drink ...LOL

deltaenterprizes
02-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I have a copy of that book also, lots of good info.

Just1Mor
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
any body have a pdf version they would be willing to share?

PatMarlin
03-08-2011, 09:53 PM
That would be a massive size pfd.

John Taylor
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I think I beat you on the price of your book. A friend gave me a 1935 edition of the American Machinists' handbook. The original owners name is on the inside cover and Coulee Dam 1937.
It actually tells how to figure out the horse power of a steam engine and an internal combustion engine.
I bought a new book several years back at $80 and it has a lot of the same stuff.

nanuk
03-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I love old books.

at the thrift store, I often buy tech manuals that I have absolutely no use for, other than to read and learn.

perhaps some day I will need to build a tressel train bridge or something, so I can utilize the "Pile Driving" book I picked up a few months ago....

if it doesn't work out, I can blow it up using the tech info from the explosives handbook I bought last year.

kenjuudo
03-12-2011, 10:44 AM
http://www1.gantep.edu.tr/~ozcan/kitaplar/makina/Handbook/Machinery's%20Handbook%20Tool-Box%20Edition%20(Machinery's%20Handbook)/MH/26663_fm.pdf

Buckshot
03-13-2011, 03:08 AM
.................I have a couple neat old books. One my maternal great grandfather had is: Steam Engine Troubles. Another is one my dad had bought used when he was stationed at the Navy hospital in San Diego in the late 40's. It has to do with generic auto repair. The book is from the mid 30's so is heavy on Model A Ford but otherwise is more like an 'Idea Book' to get you and your ole beater back on the road with 'do it yourself' repairs.

One great part is about repairing blocks after the engine has happened to sling a rod out the side, leaving a respectable hole for ah ...........crankcase venting :-) All you need is a file, some sheet steel for a patch, rubber for a gasket to keep most the oil INSIDE the engine, a brace, a bit suitable for the tap, and screws to match the tap.

Of course in those days you could raise the side of the hood, and leaning over the fender you had the entire side of the engine exposed. Or you could possibly merely climb in and stand flat footed on the ground NEXT to the engine :-)

I have a couple books on making and erecting steam engines. The book is pretty detailed. All you have to do is provide a foundry, guys who know how to work in a foundry, patterns and guys who know how to make and pour them, a moving carriage line boring machine, and a few other simple assorted accesories to come up with and you too can have your own stationary reciprocating triple expansion steam engine. You're set then because the only one other thing you'll need is a boiler. No big.

..............Buckshot

Molly
03-13-2011, 03:58 AM
http://www1.gantep.edu.tr/~ozcan/kitaplar/makina/Handbook/Machinery's%20Handbook%20Tool-Box%20Edition%20(Machinery's%20Handbook)/MH/26663_fm.pdf

Boy, do I owe you one, Kenjudo! Thanks!

kenjuudo
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Boy, do I owe you one, Kenjudo! Thanks!

In the days before G code and the internet Machinery's Handbook was as important as good prints, Mics, or a good square and an indicator. Besides the little drawer for it in your box was a good place to keep the money you had stashed back incase you ran up on a good deal on tools, since it could be kept locked while the rest of the box was open.

Von Dingo
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I really like the Modern Gunsmith, by James Virgil Howe. Some great stuff in there.