PDA

View Full Version : HG #68 clones, plain or bevel base?

Leadmelter
11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Looking to upgrade from my RCBS 201 gr .452 to a 4 or 5 gang mold. Lyman's version is bevel based and Accurate mold offers both bevel and flat in aluminum. Is there a performance difference? Loading on a Dillon 550B.
Thanks

Gerry

35remington
11-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Whoops, wrong brand of mould.

Potsy
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
I bought one of Miha's awhile back. I don't know if he has any available but I'm quite fond of my 6-cavity aluminum flat base. So is my Kimber.
If it shoots any faster or more accurately than my LEE version of an H&G 68, I can't find it, but I sure can lube them quicker with less waste due to the flat base.
6-cavitys cast mucho quicker too!!!

bobthenailer
11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Ive had excellent results over the years with a 8 cavity Saeco mould # 068 a 200 gr swc bb from many different 45 acp handguns that were accurized and tested from a Ransom rest.
Saeco also makes a plane base version of this bullet # 069.

williamwaco
11-30-2011, 11:07 AM
A lot of people here will disagree with me but I see no inherent difference in handgun accuracy between beveled and flat base bullets. It is said that beveled base bullets are easier to cast. I don't see that difference either.

It is also said that bevel based bullets are really messy in a conventional lubricator sizer. That is true. ( Although some here have made custom bottom punches to remedy that.)

I would say if you are gong to use a sizer-lubricator, get the plain base. If you are going to tumble lube, get either.

big dale
11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I had an origional H&G #68 with a bevel base and gifted it to a good friend. I now have a clone made by Miha that has a flat base. They both cast great and I can't tell any difference in the way they shoot in my 45s.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

captaint
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
melter - It has always been said that the bevel base boolits are easier to load - in automated machines maybe?? Lyman makes a good 45 200 gr boolit - # 452460. However, a new mold throwing boolits of proper diameter from Lyman is a crapshoot. Maybe an older one?? That's what I did. I'm sure you can get a 4 cav from NOE or a 4 or 6 cav from MP (Miha). We're talking strictly about flat base boolits here. And of course, the Accurate Molds are whatever you want, and also of very good quality. I even got the Lee version to shoot well. Like someone else said - I can't really tell any difference. They all shoot and feed well in my 1911's. Take your pick and let us know how it works out. enjoy Mike

Stork
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I've owned 2 H&G 68 4 cavity molds. One was a flat base, one a bevel base. In both Kart barrels the bevel base shot slightly better at 50 yards.

FWIW

mpmarty
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Bevel base or flat base for ballistic performance should show no difference at pistol speeds.

Leadmelter
11-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I looked on MiHa's website and he still list the #68, six cavity mold but it has been out of stock for some time. I contacted him and at the time he was making three cavity of brass.
Gerry