PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorite movies

Ben
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Last night I watched this AGAIN for about the 6th time.
A great movie ! There won't ever be another John Wayne.

Ben

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4414ed4eabf28dfd.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2830)

11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
That's why Hondo Lane is my avatar.

sparky45
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
If you haven't seen the latest Rooster Cogburn you are missing a really fine movie.

P.K.
11-29-2011, 11:25 AM
That's why Hondo Lane is my avatar.

Darn good book too!

Eula Goodnight: Reuben, I have to say it. Livin' with you has been an adventure any woman would relish for the rest o' time. I look at cha, with your burned out face and your big belly and your bear-like paws and your shining eye, and I have to say you're a credit to the whole male sex, and I'm proud to have ya for my friend.

Rooster Cogburn: I'll be damned if she didn't get the last word in again. Well...

Darn good movie. :Fire::drinks:

mold maker
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
With the exception of a couple of his first grade B movies, I could watch them all back to back.

Ben
11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSELRi1EoQk&feature=related

1Shirt
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
To not like John Wayne movies is just plain un-American. Rooster Cogburn, McLintock, The Quiet Man, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon------hard for me to pick my favorite from them. And once in awhile, it is well worth going back and watching him very young in "Stage Coach". There are few in Hollywood today other than Tom Sellek that I consider to be manly types and to represent American values!
And how about "Quigly Down Under". Bet John Wayne would have loved it!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ben
11-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Did you know that Stalin and Mao wanted and planned to assassinate John Wayne.

Ben

According to Michael Munn's "John Wayne: The Man Behind the Myth", in 1959, Wayne was personally told by Nikita Khrushchev, when the Soviet Premier was visiting the United States on a goodwill tour, that Joseph Stalin and China's Zedong Mao had each ordered Wayne to be killed. Both dictators had considered Wayne to be a leading icon of American democracy, and thus a symbol of resistance to Communism through his active support for blacklisting in Hollywood, and they believed his death would be a major morale blow to the United States. Khrushchev told Wayne he had rescinded Stalin's order upon his predecessor's demise in March 1953, but Mao supposedly continued to demand Wayne's assassination well into the 1960s.

3006guns
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
That would have been a REALLY big mistake.......this is a very forgiving country but don't even think about messing with "the Duke"!

LUCKYDAWG13
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
To not like John Wayne movies is just plain un-American. Rooster Cogburn, McLintock, The Quiet Man, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon------hard for me to pick my favorite from them. And once in awhile, it is well worth going back and watching him very young in "Stage Coach". There are few in Hollywood today other than Tom Sellek that I consider to be manly types and to represent American values!
And how about "Quigly Down Under". Bet John Wayne would have loved it!

ya what he sead :Fire: :drinks:

smoked turkey
11-29-2011, 12:22 PM
"Sons of Katie Elder" one of my favorites among many.

Vegas Vince
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
It's a long wait for GOOD movies, today!!!

frkelly74
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
My daughter was almost speechless when she saw John Wayne spank Maureen O"Hara. I just said she must have needed it.

MT Gianni
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
If I see that Rio Bravo is on I have to sit down and watch it.

Doc_Stihl
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
If I sit down and Rio Bravo happens to be on, I like to get on Netflix and watch it from the beginning.

I was flicking through the channels a while back and it was on for a couple seconds and my wife got up and went in the other room. I said, "I'm not watching it I'm looking to see what's on", she replied, "You will be".

Moonie
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Big Jake has to be my favorite.

Ajax
11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
mine is actually the quiet man.

Andy

felix
11-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Shane. In Harm's Way. Shindler's List. The List of Adrian Messenger. ... felix

sundog
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
The Shootist, my all time favorite.

And, of course, there's The Cowboys, Cast A Giant Shadow, The Longest Day, Hellfighters, Chisum, and few (many) others.

If you are on post at Fort Bragg, go by the Special Forces Museum and check out the tribute to the Duke. The Green Berets.

gunsofliberty
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
ther two of the john wayne movie i like big jim mclain,the quiet man ,and all the cowboy movie

MBTcustom
11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Allegheny uprising is my favorite John Wayne. I also like "the green mile", "the hunt for red october" (actually, all the Clancy movies.) "glory" and of course, "Quigley down under"

11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally, "Lonesome Dove" was to have been a movie starring John Wayne. (I think he could have portrayed either character equally well.) For some reason, it never came to fruition, so Larry McMurtry took it over and wrote the novel.

Charley
11-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Only problem with Wayne's movies was he was so recognizable in the last 25 years of his carreer that he was NEVER the character he was playing. He was always John Wayne PLAYING a certain character. Look at his production of The Alamo. No way in the world could you believe he was David Crockett...he was John Wayne PLAYING Crockett.
No disrespect intended, he was an icon.

My favorite Wayne movie is one he did with John Ford....doesn't get much respect. He wasn't a soldier, lawman, gunslinger, etc. He was a saloon keeper. Check out Donovan's Reef.

Johnny_Cyclone
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I liked John Wayne in Hatari!... though I may have liked his co-star Elsa Martinelli more..;-)

Donovan's Reef is real fun to watch, a good friendship movie. Lots of drinkin and wrestlin' around between Wayne and Lee Marvin.. yep, good stuff.

flounderman
11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
we don't have movies like john wayne made, anymore. kids don't have role models. I don't know if it is art imitating life, or the other way around, but we would be a better country without the trash we are bombarded with today. I would sooner watch a rerun of gunsmoke for the 3rd time than anything being produced today

Ben
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
we would be a better country without the trash we are bombarded with today.

Amen, Amen ! !

Bret4207
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
There were a couple of his previously unreleased films out last year or the year before on TCM. One was "Island in the Sky" I think, about a crashed aircrew in the sub arctic. The other he was an airline pilot with a bird in trouble. I forget the name of that one.

My favorite will always be "The Quiet Man" followed by "Rio Bravo", "They Were Expendable" and "The Searchers". He did a few lesser knowns that were great- "Big Jim McLain" was already mentioned, with James Arness and Nancy whats her name from that Leon Uris flick. There was another where he played a German Skipper of a freighter trying not to get drawn into the war, and "McQ".

His worst role? Ghengis Kahn or as a roman soldier in one of the big budget films about Jesus.

Nope, definitely as Khan on second thought.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Other than when they tried to make him a singin' cowboy, I like them all.

Sam :D

square butte
11-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Gotta agree with "The Quiet Man". Also like "Big Trail". If we're not just talking John Wayne - I think my favorite these days would be "Lonsome Dove".

Char-Gar
11-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Wayne made a few outstanding movies with The Searchers being the best in my opinion. His outstanding movies were the character needed his own personality. Of course there was Wayne as Gengis Khan. That didn't work at all. He also was not a convinching German merchant marine captain.

I did my undergraduate degree in of all things, Theater Arts. The Chair of the Drama department was a single woman with a P.hd from Columbia and Post-Doctoral studies at the British Royal Academy of Performing Arts. She thought John Wayne was the best actor around. I always felt the old gal was just smitten.

Bret4207
11-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Ya know, half of Waynes...appeal? came from good old John Ford. I don't care what movie that guy made, it was GOOD. Watch "How Green Was My Valley" and if you don't end up blubbering like a little girl at some point you just ain't human. Maybe it's the Irish/Scot in me, but I just adore Fords movies.

avogunner
11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I love the westerns too but his WWII classics: Sands of Iwo Jima, Back to Bataan, They were Expendable, Flying Leathernecks, The Seabees, and others are also favorites. But if I had pick one....hands down it would be Fort Apache.

1Shirt
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I notice that the majority of us "Wayne" watchers are pretty long of tooth, or short on hair, or what hair we have is gray or white.

P.K.
11-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's a quote I dug up by Marlene Dietrich when she first laid eyes on the Duke:

"Oh Daddy, buy me that."

In 1948 (I forget where) but some yahoo Hollyweird columnist commenting on Wayne said "He's been at it for twenty years now and still on top, What Gives?"

Prolly one of my favorite quotes from the Duke was:

"I want to play a man in all my filmsand I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair and couragious, never pretty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either."

Charley
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
There were a couple of his previously unreleased films out last year or the year before on TCM. One was "Island in the Sky" I think, about a crashed aircrew in the sub arctic. The other he was an airline pilot with a bird in trouble. I forget the name of that one.

My favorite will always be "The Quiet Man" followed by "Rio Bravo", "They Were Expendable" and "The Searchers". He did a few lesser knowns that were great- "Big Jim McLain" was already mentioned, with James Arness and Nancy whats her name from that Leon Uris flick. There was another where he played a German Skipper of a freighter trying not to get drawn into the war, and "McQ".

His worst role? Ghengis Kahn or as a roman soldier in one of the big budget films about Jesus.

Nope, definitely as Khan on second thought.

Island in the Sky, he was second officer of a DC-7 from Hawaii to San Fransico. Lost an engine, pilot panics, he saves the day. Believe it was written by Ernest Gann. Forgot that one, good movie.
He didn't work as Gengis Khan, though.

LGH
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree with all that has been said, and I could watch his movies constantly, but I

havent seen THE LONGEST DAY mentioned yet it wasnt a huge part but none the

less a great duke movie. Too many to pick just one as a favorite, but I watch RIO

Bravo every chance I get. As mentioned earlier kids nowdays dont have a moral

roll model to admire these days, and that is sad. Long live the DUKE!!!

MT Gianni
11-30-2011, 12:14 AM
The DVD of the Alamo I have has a running commentary on the making of it and how he wanted things to be done. Extremely interesting on the efforts made to do it right. If he had not been John Wayne he easily could have won an Oscar for best Director. As it was he was perceived to be just a cowboy actor playing himself.

PatMarlin
11-30-2011, 01:03 AM
If you rent the new "True Grit", what ever you do don't watch the original John Wayne "True Grit" version first. You will be seriously disappointed. Pathetic would be a better description of the new movie.

Buckshot
11-30-2011, 01:13 AM
..............My favorite movie, even disregarding John Wayne is "The Quiet Man". With John Wayne in it made it that much better. I got to shake the Duke's hand when I was 11 years old in 1964. It was at a Goldwater rally at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA.

...............Buckshot

bruce drake
11-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Buckshot! +1

My personal favorite is "The Quiet Man" as well. Whether its the Irish music or the fight sequence (with the comedy involved) or the little old lady handing John Wayne "a stick to beat the fine young lady with" when he's hauling Maureen O'Hara across the fields or the old Priest cussing up a storm in Gaelic when he's providing marital counseling to O'Hara's character.

Oh, And my wife gets to hear "Woman of the House" whenever she gets to acting crazy although I've never been able to get her to get my beer out of the refrigerator when I use that line.

I'm a big JW fan as well. My wife puts up with the video collection. I once told her I could watch a JW movie every day for a month and still not completely go through the complete video collection. She didn't believe me until I laid out the films...

Bruce

Bret4207
11-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Island in the Sky, he was second officer of a DC-7 from Hawaii to San Fransico. Lost an engine, pilot panics, he saves the day. Believe it was written by Ernest Gann. Forgot that one, good movie.
He didn't work as Gengis Khan, though.

Okay, I got them backwards then. Time for research.

Ta da! John Wayne DID play Ghengis Khan in "The Conqueror", a Howard Hughes film in 1956. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_%28film%29

And no, I didn't get them backwards! "Island in the Sky" was the one I was thinking of= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_in_the_Sky_%281953_film%29

You were thinking of "The High and Mighty"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_and_the_Mighty_%28film%29

Heres one list of all his movies- http://johnwaynemovies.org I'm not sure it's complete, but it's a start.

Charley
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Okay, I got them backwards then. Time for research.

Ta da! John Wayne DID play Ghengis Khan in "The Conqueror", a Howard Hughes film in 1956. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_%28film%29

And no, I didn't get them backwards! "Island in the Sky" was the one I was thinking of= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_in_the_Sky_%281953_film%29

You were thinking of "The High and Mighty"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_and_the_Mighty_%28film%29

Heres one list of all his movies- http://johnwaynemovies.org I'm not sure it's complete, but it's a start.

Yeah, I realized that this morning. The High and the Mighty is what I was thinking of.

MakeMineA10mm
12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Yep, if a guy doesn't like the Duke, I seriously have to investigate their manliness and patriotism before even considering upgrading them from worthless puke...

Why the Searchers is raved about is beyond me. Yes, Wayne does actually act and not just portray himself in yet another role, so it was a stretch compared to most of his later roles. In that regard, I give him props, but, the movie itself I find painfully slow and dark; a bad combination for me.

I feel another role he played just as well (in fact, better, because his character runs a broader gamut of the character's personality than even in the Searchers) and where the role was inside a top-notch film with great plot, seriously good acting by the co-stars, and great direction was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. I think it doesn't get the credit/interest it deserves because it's in black-and-white. Well, friends, that was a conscious thought by the producer/director to give the film an old-timey feel, which fits in with the plot line superbly. It's definitely the most under-rated JW film and should be in the library of anyone who calls himself a JW fan. It has taken over from Rio Bravo as my favorite Duke film.

Blue Hill
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
The Shootist is the saddest one of all, because you knew that after that, there would be no more Duke Wayne movies. Western or otherwise.

Geraldo
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
My favorite Wayne movie is one he did with John Ford....doesn't get much respect. He wasn't a soldier, lawman, gunslinger, etc. He was a saloon keeper. Check out Donovan's Reef.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Donovan's Reef, but it always makes me laugh.

I think his best westerns were The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

contender1
02-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Blue Hill is right. After the "Shootist" we all knew, it was over. We knew it had to happen, yet we didn't want it to. We all felt the Duke could live forever. Well, at least he has left us with a bunch of great movies to enjoy forever.
I can not pick a favorite movie, so I won't try.

What gets my gall up is folks nowadays who think they deserve the name or title of "The Duke." There is only ONE "The Duke" and everybody else is a wannabe!

jlm223
02-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Big Jake is the first movie I remember seeing, at a walk in theater, never forget it.

oldgeezershooter
02-21-2012, 01:15 AM
I got one dog named "Duke" and another named "Big Jake"

fatnhappy
02-21-2012, 01:28 AM
since John Ford has been brought up, if you haven't seen the Long Gray Line you've missed out. There has never been a director that venerated the American Soldier, Airman, Sailor and Marine as did John Ford.

The Quiet Man and The Sons of Katie Elder top my list.

429421Cowboy
02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Watched Hondo with the little brothers again last night, that is just some good stuff my friends!

Echo
02-21-2012, 02:04 AM
Anyone remember 'Randy, The Singin' Cowboy'? I believe that was the name of one of his first cowboy movies, early '30's.

gandydancer
02-21-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm with Ajax the quiet man with Maureen O"Hara what a doll.

stubshaft
02-21-2012, 03:06 AM
Loved him in westerns but in Donovans Reef he showed his human side.

bob208
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
you guys are missing some of his great non westerens. north to alaska, hatari, blood alley,

archmaker
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Quiet Man is one of my favorite, I need a burst of energy I start whistling that little diddy that O'Flynn whistled.

Big Jake, and McClintock, my family uses the line a lot in business dealings "Your fault, my fault, nobody's fault I am going to _______" My mom worked for a bank and told the copier company "Come out and fix the copier, I don't care if it is my people's fault, I don't care that the copier is not working, your fault, my fault, it does not matter . . .fix it! Or you can pick up the pieces in the middle of Highway 81 in about 3 hours!"

Love John Wayne, only takes second place to my Grandfather. :)

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Open Range has THE BEST old west gunfight that was ever filmed, IMO. I DO like a lot
of John Wayne movies, and a lot of them had good gunhandling, too. Clearly, "The
Shootist" was Wayne's best movie ever, and the star studded cast really added a
lot.

If you haven't seen "Open Range" (it is from 2003, and I know a lot of us older guys
have given up on the movies YEARS ago) you should make a real effort. It is worth
it. Kevin Costner and Robert Duval do a fantastic job, as does Annette Benning. Benning
does an absolutely outstanding job as a frontier woman who (as the character
says) "Have had my dissapointments", and all the characters are well done.

Just before they go into the gunfight, the two main characters are discussing strategy,
and the older leader says to the younger hotshot, after listening to his plan. "Sounds
like you got it all figgered out." The wry reply is "Yeah, except for the part where we
don't get killed."

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Bill

ubetcha
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I like Tom Sellack in his westeren style movies.Plays the soft spoken person until wronged and then hell breaks loose

Ben
02-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Bill,

I'll offer a DITTO on your comments on Open Range.

That is one GREAT movie ! !

Ben

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I have to agree that the Sackett movies, Quigley Down Under, and more of Tom Selleck's
movies are very good.

Well, Ben, I have noticed that we agree on a number of other things, too. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Olevern
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Last night I watched this AGAIN for about the 6th time.
A great movie ! There won't ever be another John Wayne.

Ben

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4414ed4eabf28dfd.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2830)

Sure there is, some fella calls himself "the Duke" writes for some gun rag.

nicholst55
02-24-2012, 05:41 AM
I have a number of JW's lesser known films on digits - how about 'Jet Pilot' and 'In Harm's Way?' I saw both The Longest Day and Hellfighters at the drive-in (remember them?). I remember a lot more about The Hellfighters because I was just a young sprout when TLD came out.

I agree that Open Range was a good one. Kevin Costner, whom I consider to be a deplorable actor, actually gave a good performance. Tom Selleck rocks in his westerns, but let's don't forget his 'older brother' 'Tell Sackett' - Sam Elliott. Elliott gives an excellent portrayal in both Conagher and The Quick and the Dead - not to mention in The Sacketts.

PatMarlin
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Just watched John Wayne, Lana Turner, in "Sea Chaser".

What a classic. The colors are brilliant. Never saw it before and it was great. Wayne was awesome.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
John Waye got a huge break in 1929 when he was given the starring role in the first big buget western, The Big Trail, made when talkies came in. The #1 villian was Tyrone Power Sr. [bore no resemblance to jr, except for the arched eye brows]. Audiances were not ready for long movies so it did not do well at the box office and Duke got the blame. After that he was sentanced to ten years of low budget westerns at Republic Studios. It wasn't untill he got another break in 1939 when John Ford gave him the lead in Stagecoach that he started to become a big star and could demand better roles. Stagecoach is still one of my favorites. They have remade it at least twice that I know of and they were both duds.

1Shirt
02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Ya know, there isn't a bad one listed on this thread. However, I did forget one of my all time favorites "Friendly Persuasion" with Gary Cooper. Rate it just a slight notch above "High Noon".
1Shirt!:coffeecom

3006guns
02-25-2012, 12:07 PM
"The Quiet Man" is one of my favorites, but "The Shootist" is really up there. I like its very accurate portrayal of early 1900's Nevada....right down to the light switches on the wall of Lauren Bacall's house. Wayne's character made me feel sad because it signalled the end of an era, both of the gunfighter and himself.

When I want to see the Duke go partially nuts (and he played it very well) I watch "Red River", co starring Mongomery Clift. Both men pulled it off beautifully.

I saw one of John Wayne's early (if not first) movies some years ago. I think it was called "Hurricane Express" and involves him being on a train that just keeps screaming across country (usually at night) with an assortment of villans and cliff hanger situations. I think it was made as a movie serial and as a result was absolutely tragic....very poorly directed with no continuity....in other words JUST DUMB. Thank God he didn't get stuck in that role for long!