PDA

View Full Version : My first cast deer!

Rockydog
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks to many members of this site I took my first cast boolit deer last week using a 45-70 Handi-Rifle. I harvested a nice mature doe at about 110 yards with a 405gr FN bullet cast from 50/50 WW and pure lead with a pinch of tin. I loaded it over 49 grains of IMR4895. My first shot missed but the deer did not spook and I connected with a shot that broke both shoulders and dropped it instantly. No bloodshot meat at all. I could have thrown the bullet holes in the grinder.

It really was a cast boolits effort with mr mom providing me with a bottom pour Lee pot as a gift and Slingshot loaning me his mold and giving me 20 45-70 cases. I used Junior's 411 lube with JT8 Lithium Grease.

The help and advice I've gotten from fryboy, cyberguy, rainyday, and Steel13 as well as the guys listed above were invaluable in this and a half dozen other cast projects that I started over the last two years. I'm sure I've left a couple of guys out that I swapped and traded with.

At any rate it was the most exciting deer I've shot in a few years. Thanks, RD

geargnasher
11-29-2011, 12:50 AM
You know the rules, pics or it never happened! :kidding:

Congrats on getting it all together at the right place and time.

Gear

crappiejig
11-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Congrats!!! But like Mr. Gear said,,,,we need pics!!

Olevern
11-29-2011, 12:41 PM
What does a cast deer look like? What alloy did you cast that deer out of? :)

Just kidding, congrats,

vern

firefly1957
11-29-2011, 07:56 PM
several years ago the news had a story about a cast deer getting shot, it was cement and in someones front yard!

DCM
11-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Just kidding, congrats,

vern

Ya beat me to it.

Miniature or life size? Must be pretty heavy......

Congratulations!

Rockydog
11-30-2011, 02:28 AM

Just kidding, congrats,

vern

I deserved that. Just yesterday a buddy e-mailed me a pic of his neighbor with a huge buck. The message, "I've been watching this deer all fall. At 4 AM on Thanksgiving morning he was in my garden eating leftover veggies. I got pics on my trail cam. At 11:00 he was shot by my neighbor in his bed. I'm sick over it."

My reply? What the heck was he doing in your neighbor's bed at 11:00 AM on Thanksgiving day?

I got a two word reply. RD

mroliver77
11-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Well here is game cam pic of a deer 100 yards from my back door. Look at the scrape around his feet!
I am looking for a nice doe.
J
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/2074ed68a676b30f.jpg