PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap in 9mm?

wb_carpenter
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
I purchased 60lbs of range scrap not knowing it would run a bit softer than WW.

My question is if I water quench and age the lead should it be okay for running a 124gr bullet at about 1050fps?

I'm going to try it anyway I just wanted to ask.

felix
11-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe OK with your barrel at even a lower velocity, but especially good for full speed in a 18 twist barrel. ... felix

turbo1889
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
If you stick with larger amounts of slower burning powder it shouldn't be a problem. I've run as soft as about 10-bhn (to get expansion) in the 9mm without problems by using a slower burning powder. Proverbial turd hits the proverbial fan though IME with faster burning powders like bullseye and similar. Accurate #7 power is real nice stuff in the 9mm (which it was originally specifically designed for) especially for cast boolit loads IME.

wb_carpenter
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately I have huge amounts of bullseye powder and use a light charge to meet power factor for USPSA(~1010fps).

I have about 2lbs of 63/37 tin ingots and a 3lb WW ingot that I could mix in but it may not be worth the trouble.

EDIT I just found out the lead before casting is 9.5bhn. Anyone know what the bhn would be after a water quench and a few weeks?

RodneyUSAF
11-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Since range scrap seems to be my only source lately, I have used it in 9mm with great results. I water drop them, size them fat at .358, lube them with BAC, and push them with 3.8grns of Bullseye. No idea of velocity, but they do not lead, very accurate, and function in my M&P EVERY time. Hope this eases your mind a little.
:lovebooli

wb_carpenter
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Since range scrap seems to be my only source lately, I have used it in 9mm with great results. I water drop them, size them fat at .358, lube them with BAC, and push them with 3.8grns of Bullseye. No idea of velocity, but they do not lead, very accurate, and function in my M&P EVERY time. Hope this eases your mind a little.
:lovebooli

I'm running 4.0gr of bullseye so I'm not far off.

9.5bhn before casting should harden up nice after water quenching and ageing a couple weeks right?

From what i've read WW are 8-12bhn.

The source says he got them from a hangun indoor range only but I guess they were shooting some cast stuff.

Boolseye
11-28-2011, 11:00 PM
My question is if I water quench and age the lead should it be okay for running a 124gr bullet at about 1050fps?
YES. you should be fine. That's the speed I like to run my 124 gr 9mms at. Perfect. +1 on slow burning powder, I like Accurate #7.(oh, I see that's a +1, too).

MT Gianni
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm running 4.0gr of bullseye so I'm not far off.

9.5bhn before casting should harden up nice after water quenching and ageing a couple weeks right?

From what i've read WW are 8-12bhn.

The source says he got them from a hangun indoor range only but I guess they were shooting some cast stuff.

It depends on the make-up of range scrap. Pure lead will not harden when water dropped. Antimonial alloys do but not as hard as Aresnic. It is kind of like asking if your car will run on petroleum products. It might and it might not.

mroliver77
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I have quite a pile of indoor range scrap. I forget the numbers but it does harden a little from water dropping. Make sure boolits are dropping easy from the mould. Use Bullplate or other sprue lube. Cut the sprue as soon as possible and drop QUICKLY into bucket. An alternative would be to oven heat them to just below slumping temp and quench. This will harden them the maximum amount. Another avenue would be to add some MAGNUM shot to your melt. This will add some antimony and ARSENIC NEEDED TO GET MAXIMUM EFFECT FROM QUENCHING.
J