PDA

View Full Version : My dad's at peace now

Typecaster
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, in his own home in Prescott. It seemed he was really holding on for his 100th birthday in April, and had a pretty steady decline since then. So this certainly wasn’t unexpected, and I’m joyful that he’s in a better place and back together with my mom.

I was able to tell him on Thanksgiving that my older son and his wife are expecting their first child, and his caretaker’s son said he was smiling at the news. The circle of life goes on.

He taught me a lot—to put family first, about guns and shooting, how to build a house, how to heat a tool in the forge and draw out a new point, and on and on. How to be a man.

Guns were always important to him, and I think he was probably happiest when he had his own shop, Scotty’s Gun Shop, in Surrey, N.D. from 1945-56. (His first name was Stewart, but everyone in Surrey called him Scotty, even though his parents were Irish, not Scots.)

It wasn’t easy watching him age. He stopped shooting anything other than black powder about 10 years ago, and then only his flinchlocks, then stopped shooting completely. He’d go to the range and spot for me, and was happy to make the loop of gun shops near Prescott when I’d visit about every other month, but even that much interest stopped just before he turned 100.

So, Dad, I’m going to miss you. After almost 10 years of calling you on the phone every morning to say “Hi,” it’s going to be strange to not have that ritual. But I’ll think about you every time I walk into the gun room and see one of the rifles you built or stocked, and smile to myself every time I go to the range.

Richard

Reload3006
11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
my prayers and sympathies.

Ben
11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Those are great memories, unfortunately not everyone has those kind of wonderful memories of their dad.

You're fortunate.

Ben

P.K.
11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, in his own home in Prescott. It seemed he was really holding on for his 100th birthday in April, and had a pretty steady decline since then. So this certainly wasn’t unexpected, and I’m joyful that he’s in a better place and back together with my mom.

I was able to tell him on Thanksgiving that my older son and his wife are expecting their first child, and his caretaker’s son said he was smiling at the news. The circle of life goes on.

He taught me a lot—to put family first, about guns and shooting, how to build a house, how to heat a tool in the forge and draw out a new point, and on and on. How to be a man.

Guns were always important to him, and I think he was probably happiest when he had his own shop, Scotty’s Gun Shop, in Surrey, N.D. from 1945-56. (His first name was Stewart, but everyone in Surrey called him Scotty, even though his parents were Irish, not Scots.)

It wasn’t easy watching him age. He stopped shooting anything other than black powder about 10 years ago, and then only his flinchlocks, then stopped shooting completely. He’d go to the range and spot for me, and was happy to make the loop of gun shops near Prescott when I’d visit about every other month, but even that much interest stopped just before he turned 100.

So, Dad, I’m going to miss you. After almost 10 years of calling you on the phone every morning to say “Hi,” it’s going to be strange to not have that ritual. But I’ll think about you every time I walk into the gun room and see one of the rifles you built or stocked, and smile to myself every time I go to the range.

Richard Fair Skies "Scotty."

45nut
11-30-2011, 02:48 PM
You cherish those memories, He earned them. My condolences.

mroliver77
11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
You will think of calling him for years to come. When my Dad went at first it hurt when I realised I could not call. Now it triggers good memories. :)
Thanks for sharing a little part of your Dad with us.
Jay

P.K.
11-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Richard

Richard,

I just thought of what you said about calling, it's just going to be one-way but there is no reason it can't be a confrence call. I thank the big guy every morning for my kids and my family. Hang tough, we are here for you.

Bad Water Bill
12-01-2011, 02:05 AM
You were indeed fortunate.

May a great dad rest in peace.

Bret4207
12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I envy all those extra years you had with your Dad, you were blessed. My condolences on your loss, he sounds like a fine man.

hardcase54
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Condolences to you and your family. My Dad has been gone 15 months(96 years old), I miss him, but when I think of him it is always happy thought's.

MT Gianni
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
You have my sympathy for your loss and my admiration for all of the wonderful times that you spent together. Scotty sounds like he was a great man.

DLCTEX
12-03-2011, 03:35 PM
My condolences. It's been 8 years since my Dad passed and I still think of asking his advice often.

wallenba
12-03-2011, 03:54 PM
You are a fortunate man to have had him in your life, and for such a long time. My father passed away too young, only 55. Sometimes I encounter something interesting that I know he would like to see, and for a brief moment I think to myself, 'I can't wait to tell him about it'.
In my heart I know he's still with me in that way. You must have those memories to relive and enjoy. My sympathies.

pmeisel
12-04-2011, 09:07 PM
God bless him and you.......

Throckmorton
12-10-2011, 01:32 PM
My sincerest condolences at your loss.Your Dad will always be there for you,in spirit. I know my brother is,we had those same kind of phone calls and I miss them terribly.
RIP,sir.