PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube-a-matic

Tatume
11-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Hello Folks,

Although I'm going to call RCBS this afternoon after they wake up (Pacific time), I wonder if you have had the same experience? My Lube-a-matic is a royal pain to refresh with lube. It is very difficult to start the threads on the nut that caps the unit. Right now mine is disassembled, because I can't get it together. Is there a trick I don't know?

Take care, Tom

Calamity Jake
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
The problem lies in not having the threaded rod straight and centered in the housing, even if using hollow stick lube or even pouring hot lube in the sizer. I use hollow stick, after intalling the lube I push the rod about 2/3s the way in and wiggle it around some for better alighnment of the nut to the body, this seems to help a lot.
You might also look for burrs both on the nut and the start of the threads in the body.

williamwaco
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Trick I use:

When having trouble starting the threads, align the cap as straight as possible, press down and turn it slowly, BACKWARD. When the threads back up to a position where they can align, you will feel a little snap. Then the threads are perfectly aligned. Now turn it slowly INWARD.

LongPoint
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Been a long time since I used sticks in my LAM. Might try threading the piston all the way up, then slide the lube onto the rod and then put it all back in as a unit. You may have to wiggle it around to get it centered. Good Luck!!

LongPoint

BCB
11-28-2011, 02:28 PM
All said here is good...

I had trouble with the same thing when I first started using my LAM also...

Still do from time to time...

Piston the entire way up as mentioned

Don't fill the chamber too full--I think at least and 1" maybe more from the top...

And wiggle also as mentioned...

The fine threads are a bit difficult to get lined up...

Good-luck...BCB

94Doug
11-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I usually cut an inch off of the stick before installing.

Doug

41 mag fan
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Never had trouble with mine so far.....I should say either of them. i've got 2

prickett
11-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I had to fight like the dickens the first couple of times I loaded lube into my LAM2. Since then, I've learned to only load in half sticks at a time. Problem solved.

MT Gianni
11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Trick I use:

When having trouble starting the threads, align the cap as straight as possible, press down and turn it slowly, BACKWARD. When the threads back up to a position where they can align, you will feel a little snap. Then the threads are perfectly aligned. Now turn it slowly INWARD.

Use the same method to start the nut over the sizer die also.

Tatume
11-30-2011, 05:24 PM
After trying for four days to screw the top into my Lube-a-matic, along with two messages to RCBS which were not answered, and numerous phone calls to no avail (the machine says I'm 7th in que, 1st in que, then hangs up), I finally solved my problem. I completely disassembled the machine, and discovered there is a guide hole in the bottom for the threaded rod that carries the plunger. The hole is bored crooked. If the rod is inserted in the hole, as it must be, then the cap will not line up with the threads in the body of the machine. I found this by removing the rod and trying the cap by itself; it screws in easily and without any hassle whatsoever. So, with the T-handle off, and with a hollow prize bar on the rod, using one hand I bent the rod in the direction needed to make it concentric and held it. With the other hand I started the threaded cap. Worked like a charm! I'm back in business. Every other time I've replaced lube I just got lucky while bending, hammering, and cursing. From now on I'll remember what it takes.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Take care, Tom

Hickory
11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
When using hard lube, I use a propane torch to melt the lube
on the threads then use a cloth to wipe the threads clean.

Tatume
11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
The problem is in the cast iron body of the machine, not the lube.

theperfessor
11-30-2011, 06:58 PM
So is the hole at an angle to the main bore, or is it eccentric to the main bore, or possibly both? Just curious as to what type of machining geometry error was causing your problem.

Tatume
11-30-2011, 07:21 PM
The hole is at an angle to the main bore.

What subject do you teach?

Take care, Tom
Associate Professor of Mathematics

BCB
11-30-2011, 07:32 PM
After trying for four days to screw the top into my Lube-a-matic, along with two messages to RCBS which were not answered, and numerous phone calls to no avail (the machine says I'm 7th in que, 1st in que, then hangs up), I finally solved my problem. I completely disassembled the machine, and discovered there is a guide hole in the bottom for the threaded rod that carries the plunger. The hole is bored crooked. If the rod is inserted in the hole, as it must be, then the cap will not line up with the threads in the body of the machine. I found this by removing the rod and trying the cap by itself; it screws in easily and without any hassle whatsoever. So, with the T-handle off, and with a hollow prize bar on the rod, using one hand I bent the rod in the direction needed to make it concentric and held it. With the other hand I started the threaded cap. Worked like a charm! I'm back in business. Every other time I've replaced lube I just got lucky while bending, hammering, and cursing. From now on I'll remember what it takes.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Take care, Tom

Wow, I didn't know it worked that way, but then again, I never really looked at the rod/plunger setup...

I will look at it just out of curiosity the next time I remove it and add lube...

Stange days indeed...

Glad you got it figured out...

BCB

buck1
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Trick I use:

Yes this helps me do it too.

theperfessor
12-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Mechanical and manufacturing engineering classes, mostly the labs - CNC programming, robotics, etc.