PatMarlin
11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
My Dad had silk PK...

http://www.patmarlins.com/JamesT.jpg

P.K.
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
My Dad had silk PK...

http://www.patmarlins.com/JamesT.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about! To get that paticular set you had to have brass ones! Vertical Envelopment was still in it's infancy.

Your Da's looks similar to these. 2nd of the 506th PIR of the 101st.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/IrishEKU/AmericanArmyUniformPatchWorldWarII_JumpWings.jpg

PatMarlin
11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Currahee

Tom Myers
11-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Currahee

Yeah Pat!
Me too.

PatMarlin
11-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah Pat!
Me too.

You got silk too Tom?

We should start a paratrooper thread. I didn't realize understand the level of training my dad had until much later in life.

P.K.
11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
You got silk too Tom?

We should start a paratrooper thread. I didn't realize understand the level of training my dad had until much later in life.

It's a way of life, so to speak. Dunno if I could have done it in your Dad's day, it was just bad then. Didn't know when or if the chute would open, didn't know if it would support your weight and load. Alot of ??? if you ask me. Bottom line, they did it. Paving the way and no questions asked. "Sky Soidiers" is one way of putting it, "Airborne" is another. But at no other time in history has another type of combat been tested. Granted it's still in use at a lesser degree but in use. Considering it's history, "300" may be an apt description of any "Airborne" troops...;-)

PatMarlin
11-27-2011, 12:17 AM
He was tough on me as a kid. Made me everything I am today, the good and the bad.

Tom Myers
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
You got silk too Tom?

Yeah Pat,

I was one of those selected, through a rigorous elimination process, to re-form the 101st Airborne Division in the early 1950s.

One thing that I did learn from that selection process was that one's forced endurance level is far beyond that of one's pre-conceived endurance level.

While I was in service, we used the (then new) T-10 chutes which were, in comparison, much more buoyant than the older T-7s.
When I see the way that a parachutist of today steps lightly onto the ground after a drop, I can remember each and every one of the 28 times that I experienced that terrible slam into the ground that had to be done just right to avoid serious injury.
Ah, to be young and vigorous again, then go out and do it all over once more.

PatMarlin
11-27-2011, 12:03 PM
One thing that I did learn from that selection process was that one's forced endurance level is far beyond that of one's pre-conceived endurance level.

Why does that statement remind me of a kid growing up? ...:mrgreen:

I had that drilled into my head daily.

PatMarlin
11-27-2011, 12:12 PM
What bits and pieces I know of Tom, my old man was (I think) at Fort Campbell, KY during that time you mention, and had Airborn Ranger training, but he was on standby most of the time during the war in Japan for some reason.

An Easy Company Marine that's a friend of mine here where I live now, was at the battle of Chosin and actually had to fight with his boots off, in the snow in middle of the night during a Chinese attack. He told me they were real careful where they used the Airborn in those days.

P.K.
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
O-k Pat and others of the "Winged" type. Post here.

P.K.
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
TY to Ken!

PatMarlin
11-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Good deal.

Tell us about your service PK ...:drinks:

justingrosche
11-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Feet and knees in the breeze . Ft Benning '86
Dope on a rope. Ft Campell '87

fatnhappy
11-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Feet and knees in the breeze . Ft Benning '86
Dope on a rope. Ft Campell '87

My black hat was SFC Kenneth Adams, as nice a gentlemean as you could ever meet.
there's more than a few of us here

Pat, stupid question, but why doesn't your father have a CIB if he was in a PIR? Was he an attached engineer or FO?

Wings of tin balls of steel, hooah!

PatMarlin
11-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I don't know what that means or the difference?

nicholst55
11-28-2011, 04:59 AM
I met a gentleman who made all three combat jumps with the 101st in WWII a few years ago. He was in the 506th PIR, but I don't recall which battalion. He retired from the Army twice; once as a senior NCO, then again as a DA civilian!

I asked him if he would do it all over, and he said 'Not if I knew then what I know now!'

trooperdan
11-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I enlisted airborne in Jan '63, retired from the 82D ABN OCT '84 then worked as a DA civilian until SEP '11! Even deployed to Iraq in '08 as a fat-*** civilian but it made me feel good the wear a uniform in a combat zone again.
We wore the old desert DSU's with a black "US" aiming point right in the center of our chest where active duty guys wore their rank. I was walking with my colonel one day and he started laughing. When I asked why, he said, "These guys aren't saluting me they are saluting YOU! They see how old you are and think you must be a General!"

P.K.
11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Good deal.

Tell us about your service PK ...:drinks:

Nothing too glamorious I'm afraid. Enlisted right out of HS in '91, to late to join the festivities in DS round one. Went to Germany then to Knox. Joined the Guard and played the ROTC game. Got the impact award for compleating 5 jumps. ;-)

:drinks:

PatMarlin
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I had a bunch of real cool pictures my Dad took back then, but I think my sis has them now. I've got to look, and scan them if they are here.

P.K.
11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I had a bunch of real cool pictures my Dad took back then, but I think my sis has them now. I've got to look, and scan them if they are here.

Pat that would be great! The 101st museum might be interested in them too. Day to day stuff to fill out the history is always nice. If you ever get up this way I'd be happy to take you over to post and the museum.

P.K.
11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Currahee

I just remembered the Nov. issue of American Rifleman did a story on Donald R. Burgett, who wrote a book "Currahee: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy" and three others. Amazon has all of them.

Got-R-Did
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
My Thanks to you all and of course to all our Veterans here on the Forum! My little Brother served 21 1/2 years, retiring as an E7 about five years ago. He was stationed at Ft. Campbell three times and found himself in Iraq after each of those rotations. His last trip to the sandbox was due to a stop-loss about two months before his scheduled retirement date. He was disappointed, but knew that his MOS (N.B.C.?) was required in-country and he went with a smile. Our Father is U.S. Army Ret (E7-19Kilo Heavy Armor) as well after 23 1/2 years and one tour in Vietnam; Grandfather served in WWII as a PFC, and so many other relatives in the last three generations have served that I think there might be a gene implanted now. I was 95B for three years and loved it, but needed a change from the Military life. I would do it all again.
Got-R-Did.

SSGOldfart
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Rangers
"Lead the way"

P.K.
11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Rangers
"Lead the way"

O-k Ragnar...;-)

missionary5155
11-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Good morning
Served 19 months & days with 8th in Germany... got to run around and sing all the airbonre hills & valleys... Good bunch -a-troopers.
Mike in Peru

P.K.
11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Good morning
Served 19 months & days with 8th in Germany... got to run around and sing all the airbonre hills & valleys... Good bunch -a-troopers.
Mike in Peru

The 8th? Wouldn't have been Baumholder would it?:bigsmyl2:

justingrosche
12-19-2011, 04:24 AM
There has to be more than just us few. This seems to be the gathering place of like minded individuals with similar backgrounds. With over 15,000 members there has to be atleast another 100 or so.

missionary5155
12-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Howdy P.K.
Was at Veirhiem (Sullivan Baracks 5-68 Armor) about 6 clicks from Manhiem Got there Christmas 72 till July 74. Went to Baumholder twice for tank brush clearing. Great moments with very large boars wanting to climb up on the M60A1īs . Otherwise uneventful except for cold, dusty, donīt step there & clean up the dirty dirt. Did back the M60 over a derelic car that we "thought" was a bush.. cost us 20 minutes with sledge & tankers bar prying it off the end connectors... Mike in Peru
Mike in Peru