PDA

View Full Version : Brass cleaning question.

reloading noob
11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I searched and found a couple tips but no real answer to my problem.
First off, I have a Lyman Turbo 600. It came with some type of green media in it. It is kinda nasty and looks like green cat litter. I used dryer sheets in it to clean it up but it is still nasty. When I take my brass out of it there is a green film on my casings. I wipe them off while kinda inspecting the cases. The green **** gets all over my hands while wiping them off. so I now wear latex gloves. So, here are the questions. How important is it to get all this green film out of the cases. What kind of media is this? And how do you know when its time to buy new media? I am sorry for all the questions but I am really trying to load a quality product for myself. I am not the kind of person to take short cuts. Thanks for all the help so far.

James

DCM
11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
It sure sounds like you got some of the Lyman green corn cob media.
Unless you are loading for Benchrest matches I would not worry about the green dust coating.
When you replace your media I would go with Frankford Arsenal P.N. 446063 or equivalent media. I do not remember the exact size but I am sure others will have it, it is smaller and less prone to plug flash holes.
Replace the media when YOU feel it is no longer cleaning to YOUR standards. You will get a thousand different answers on that one.
The dryer sheets are great for keeping the staic charges and dust down so I would continue to use them.
Eventually if you want REALLY clean cases inside and out you will want to go with a rotary tumbler and stainless pins.

DaveCampbell
11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I run corn cob in my tumbler. About twice a year (depending on my reloading volume) I give it a shot of Brasso. It cleans even the brass shotshells I use with black powder!

Best,

Dave

mongo
11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
I use the crushed walnut stuff at pet smart, Its in the reptile area, Squirt a bit of Frankfort arsenal brass polish from Midway and it works great. I go through a lot of it.

oneokie
11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I use corn cob media sold for sand blasting applications. Size is 20/40 grit, and I have no problems with plugged flash holes. For a mirror finish on the cases, one can use the additives sold by the mail order houses, jewelers rouge, (takes very little) or Nu-Finish car polish.

Useful life of the media depends on how dirty the brass in when you put it in the tumbler. There is a recipe for homemade case cleaner in the Stickies Forum. I have used it for several years and am well satisified with the results. Others have stated that they use Citric Acid (wine makers) or Lemi-shine (dishwasher).

contender1
11-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Add in some untreated walnut shell media, (mentioned above,) to dilute the green stuff!

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
If it were me the ? green stuff would go out with the garbage. Would you use unknown gun powder? Brass is to expensive today to take chances using an unknown cleaner and you have many options listed on the site that will treat your brass the way it deserves to be treated.

Any time I see GREEN on brass I get nervous. Brass is the ONLY thing between a hot blast and your face or eyes.

contender1
12-01-2011, 11:38 PM
The green is the media, not the brass. Lyman sells jugs of pre-treated walnut shell that is green. Works quite well.

Bad Water Bill
12-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Sorry my mistake. In the 40+ years I have been polishing brass I have never looked at any pre treated stuff. Always mixed my own. I am THRIFTY dont ya know.:bigsmyl2:

Bob in Revelstoke
12-02-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm cheap. When my media gets too dirty I put it in a bucket with hot water and detergent. Stir well with an old broomstick.
Then pour it onto an old towel to drain, rinse a couple of times and put it into the sun to dry. It needs to be turned over a couple of times to dry properly. Add a dollop of case cleaner and it's good to go.

Rockydog
12-02-2011, 10:20 AM
noob, First of all you are being very smart using latex gloves to handle tumbled cases and used tumbling media. The dust and residue can contain lead styphenate from primers. I've always considered tumbling media a bigger risk for lead exposure than casting bullets by far. Secondly ditch the green stuff and go to the pet store and get the finest ground walnut shell lizard litter you can find. The coarser stuff plugs too many flash holes and can be tough to pick out. I add some MacGuires auto polish with micro abrasives to my media from time to time. Usually just about a teaspoon full in the running tumbler about 15 minutes before I add brass. No offense to Dave but I would not use Brasso as it contains ammonia and ammonia is hard on brass it the long run. RD

P.K.
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I run corn cob in my tumbler. About twice a year (depending on my reloading volume) I give it a shot of Brasso. It cleans even the brass shotshells I use with black powder!

Best,

Dave

Brasso, man I hate that stuff, must have been all the time spent polishing shower drains, bathroom fixtures and what not. ;-)

gew98
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Brasso is about the worst junk to put on brass...it's ammonia based and will attack the brass in time and cause tarnishing. I have not yet tried the frankford arsenal polish...I still have alot of the Dillon Rapid polish left yet and have been using the same 50 lb bag of corn cob media I bought at a feed store over a decade ago...and as mentioned you can clean it with detergent and it does wonders. I refuse to use any liquid cleaning agents for the brass and when I first started relaoding back in the 80's I had a RCBS sidewinder rotary tumbler...what a peice of junk it was !. Have had the Large dillon vibratory tumbler since they came out with it in the 80's and have never looked back or anywhere else.

DLCTEX
12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Get online and find drillspot. Their 20/40 blast media is now about $25 for 40 lbs. shipped. Add Newfinish car polish to a tumbler full ( a little does a lot) and let it tumble for about 10 min. before adding brass to incorporate it. Unless you are a brass seller, the bag will last many years. I occasionally add more Newfinish (no ammonia)to the media.

Mooseman
12-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Cheap Tumbler media is available at the bigger Pet supply stores...Lizard Litter is fine crushed walnut shells and is cheap. Add some Nu-finish Car polish or similar and tumble away! Buy the fine stuff and not the coarse as the coarse will pack in the cases, and not pour out.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok looks like I will be adding Nu Finish to the media today. Hope this works..