PDA

View Full Version : Handloader's Expo?

jpr9954
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
I just spent the weekend at the International Custom Rod Building Expo in High Point, NC. It attracted almost 2,000 custom fishing rod builders, 30-40 manufacturers and dealers to a two day show. It featured manufacturer's exhibits, custom rod builders, and many seminars. People came from all around the US and there were a few from Japan and Europe as well. I've put the link the the Expo's website below so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

http://home.earthlink.net/~icrbe/

Also see http://www.rodbuilding.org

I'm wondering if something like this has ever been in the reloading field. It is not like the SHOT Show where you have manufacturers selling to dealers and publicizing new products to writers. It also isn't like a gun show where you have a lot of dealers selling their product. Instead, it features like-minded enthusiasts getting together with dealers and manufacturers to put on a show that features a number of booths PLUS seminars. It combined education, sales, and product awareness into one complete package.

I see many similarities between the custom rod builders and handloaders especially the desire to make a product that is better than they can buy retail and to make it fit your needs exactly. I could see a magazine like Handloader being the sponsor and running with it similar to RodMaker Magazine sponsoring the ICRBE. There could be seminars on wildcats, casting boolits, etc. There also could be an intro to handloading class.

I'd love to hear what others think about this.

John

scrapcan
02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
John,

I think this would be a great Idea. I say someone needs to get it put together. If it were within a few hours (2-3) drive form where I am at I would come. The trouble is, within 2-3 hours of driving there is probably not a large enough population to get all the players together to bring there wares.

So until it comes to fruition, we are left with the stack of catalogs that our wives and girlfriends hate.

Scrounger
02-21-2007, 11:52 AM
We have some pretty good organizers and front men on this site. You really don't need a huge convention center for the first year or two. It will take a few years for all the people who should be there figure it out. If you're thinking casting demonstrations and such, that's going to keep most building sites out of it. In California most of the gun show sites were at county fairgrounds. Depending on the size of the show, the promoter would rent one, two, or as many buildins as necessary, plus an equal amount of outside pavilions. That would work for us; a building for those activities that could be safely done inside, and outside area for the other. Some might recommend videos of casting instructions instead of live performances because that could be done inside without any HazMat potential, real or imagined. Also better in inclement weather. Such conditions could probably be found about anywhere in the country, a large high school gymnasium and parking lot would work fine. But for some, you have to give them another reason to come. Sites which come to mind are Las Vegas and Reno/Sparks in Nevada. and Orange County Fairgrounds in southern California (DisneyLand, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, the beaches, etc.) Location is a big factor in talking the family into spending vacation time and money; you're there for the guns/bullets thing, they're there to enjoy something else. Companies are like that, too; Whoever says yay or nay in the company is fifty times more likely to spend the bread for two days in Reno or Vegas than he is for Podunk, Iowa. I noticed at the ShotShow I attended a large number of the booths were attended by locals, mostly young nice looking locals, while the guy who came there to show the company face was rolling those little multi-dotted cubes or drinking miles away from the show. Hey, that's what Vegas exists for...

Hunter
03-01-2007, 12:48 AM
I agree. I think a meeting of handloaders would be a great idea to exchange knowledge.

Harpman
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
that would be like heaven !:-D