PDA

View Full Version : pretty backwards on a computer.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I've never used the computer for anything but trying to find a site and then posting. On this site, when I try to find stuff I will go to search and type in.. .358 wadcutter or .357 AA #9 loads. Seems to kind of work. One of the guys told me to type:( .357 AA #9 loads castboolits ) or something like that in the Goodle search box. I've only sent 3 text messages this year and I'm not sure if they went through or not. I don't have a ipod or a smart phone. I have absolutely nothing against any of that stuff. It is just hard to get the full benefits of the electronic age, at my age. I kind of feel like a guy who went from elementary math to algebra all of a sudden.
So, if I ask about how to find stuff, don't think I'm lazy. I just don't know how to do it better. As a matter of fact. Maybe I'm doing it right.......... ya see, I just don't know about this stuff so it's hard to tell if you are doing stuff right or not....

learning a little at a time.

btroj
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Keep on going Charlie. My parents are in their early 70s and they are reasonably computer literate.
Only way to learn is to do.
Technology isn't always the easiest to learn but it can be done.

Good luck, and don't shoot the computer!

MBTcustom
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah, you know, I could just see 45nut wondering if a sight like this would ever take off 'cause you know, useful people who shoot guns and make things dont have much use for computers and stuff.
I wonder if he had a "if you build it they will come" moment.
I have never been much of a computer guy, just used google search to see if anybody on the worldwidewasteland had an interesting take on something I was doing. I found cast boolits doing a search for how to paper patch rifle boolits. Now I can type about twice as fast as when I started, I know how to compress pictures and load them on photobucket and then transfer them to this sight, I actualy started checking my e-mail once a week etc. etc.
Cast boolits has brought me into the twenty-first century!

redneckdan
11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
to search a specific site in google, do it like this

'content' site:'site name'

Example

.357 AA #9 loads site:www.castboolits.gunloads.com

PatMarlin
11-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Your on the right track. The search here is a good one. Just try different combinations of wording, and try clicking the "as threads" or "as posts" button in advanced search.

I bought my 92 year old grandmother a computer and she took to it like a duck to water. Never feared tying new things.

My mother on the other hand, 2 masters degrees from 2 California universities, and a retired HS teacher still has trouble with it, and has given up.. :mrgreen:

Charlie Two Tracks
11-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I will try that redneckdan. I need to save that someplace so I can remember how to do it. I do know how to type fairly well. I took two years of typing (non electric ones) in High School because of all the girls in the class! I may not have had the right motives, but it worked out well in the end. It is kind of like riding a bicycle. You don't forget. After decades of not typing, it came back in short order. I don't think about it, it just kind of happens. Strange.

Blacksmith
11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Charlie

You are never to old to learn, look at all we are learning about casting. Here are a couple of links that may help you with your searches from the Google search engine.

This is their Help page for basic searches which tells you what is important and gives suggestions that will help you think like a computer.
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=134479

This is their advanced search help page for when you are ready to go further.
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861&rd=1

Finally Google also has some specialized searches if you are looking for certain things.
http://www.google.com/help/features.html#essentials

Blacksmith

45nut
11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, you know, I could just see 45nut wondering if a sight like this would ever take off 'cause you know, useful people who shoot guns and make things dont have much use for computers and stuff.
I wonder if he had a "if you build it they will come" moment.
I have never been much of a computer guy, just used google search to see if anybody on the worldwidewasteland had an interesting take on something I was doing. I found cast boolits doing a search for how to paper patch rifle boolits. Now I can type about twice as fast as when I started, I know how to compress pictures and load them on photobucket and then transfer them to this sight, I actualy started checking my e-mail once a week etc. etc.
Cast boolits has brought me into the twenty-first century!

It was similar to that indeed, I knew from shooters.com that there were indeed folks out there that not only knew the subject, but also those that desired the knowledge of cast.

I was hanging around folks in those days that gave me the courage to try it and not limit my vision of what could be done not only with the molds and other tools used but with each gun as well and if only the skills could be gathered and distributed then quite a few people could be helped and the guns otherwise self exiled to the history bins could be wiped off and brought into the present day.

I had no pre-conceived notion that I was qualified to take on the task, but then I had no reason not to try it either. Like many I was/am just a redneck that wanted more information and skill sets and my lack of education in a new field worked not against me but indeed, for me as I was not really alone and I could lean on the fence and ask advice from a varied group of folks willing to share their skills.

The last few years have been special indeed , many blessings come with sharing a
path such as this. I really appreciate the skills that every individual can bring, although sometimes the methods can really be a burden!
With those burdens though come a reward, and I am really beyond blessed with the people drawn here and the willingness to believe that ideas do not have to be
restricted.

:redneck: Thanks to everyone that believes in the mission here, the site IS the people. I really am still humbled by what has been accomplished.

Guesser
11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I can read and write; BUT, I don't know how to hilite links or include "quotes" or attach anything to anything else unless I use duct tape, JB Weld or pop rivets. I don't own a camera and the only "digital" tool I own is a 6" caliper, even then I like a conventional micrometer better.
I'm way behind the power curve and it makes me think I should try to catch up, sometimes, but so far I have been able to procrastinate my way to nirvana laziness.

bbs70
11-27-2011, 01:35 PM
At 63 I sometimes wonder if all this new stuff makes our lives any better or easier like I've been told it does.

Guesser
11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I can see this new stuff making life better, certainly communications are faster; easier? I don't think so!! life is more complicated and requires paying a lot closer attention mainly because everything moves so much faster.
I spent 23+ years in the Navy in a sea going rating. It was great to go to sea, no mail, no telephones, no problems. Today it is not like that, Damned Email, there is no place to hide!!!!!!!!!

Charlie Two Tracks
11-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Blacksmith, thanks for the links. I will try to get them down. I know this computer will do a lot more than I have it doing right now, and the more I learn about how to use it, the more I will be able to find here.

DIRT Farmer
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
45 NUT I have been shooting cast for more than 40 years, mostly in pistols, but some in rifles just because some of my old war horses have had a rough enough life already and I thought it was time for them to relax. I have learned a lot in the last few years here With modern. I diden't have a place like Friendship where I learned the capibilites of muzzle loaders and had a ready source of information and mentering.
As far as the computer, I am dislexic ( however you spell the word). It would be easier if the info was on paper. As far as pictures, I have a picture on my phone that I need for a class to verfy I was there, so far two kids and a grand kid can't figure how to down load it and print it so I am going to make a three hour drive each way and just show them the picture on the phone.

looseprojectile
11-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I didn't learn typing in school but I would have if I had thought about it the way you did. I thought I was smart.
I feel that much of high school was wasted learning stuff like algebra.
My reasoning for not taking typing was that I didn't want to get stuck in a desk job. I wanted to be in the trenches where the exciting stuff would be happening.
Using that reasoning has had the effect of relegating me to low paying jobs all my life. I have been happy there and would not change a thing.
High school kids now have the internet to help them determine where they want to go and what they will do with their life. Sadly I feel that they have no more of a clue than I did without the world wide web.
Somewhere in the recent past I discovered that the world was not put here just for me and the rest of humanity was just along for my ride.
Like you I found this place when looking for a soloution to a cast boolit problem.
Kinda like going to a Church and being welcomed and becoming one of the fold.
A friend recently bought his elderly mother a computer and showed her how to email her Granddaughter in Florida. After sending the email the old gal said that she would now send her Granddaughter a letter informing her of that fact.
Sometimes understanding is way behind reality.
I think that we old ones have trouble letting go of some things and embracing the new because of the percieved value or how it feels to us and that is the way it has always been.
Heck I just posted my first picture here early this morning and I think I can do it again.

Life is good

Blacksmith
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Charlie

The easyest way to "get them down" would be to click on the link and while the computer is at the web page add that URL (the link) to your bookmarks. If you don't understand what I just wrote there should be on your computer a way to save the links you want to return to. It may be called Bookmarks, or Favorites or something else and what it is called and how to get to it will depend on what computer and operating system software you are using.

I am no expert (that is a former drip under pressure) in computers but if you tell us what you are using someone will try to talk you thru it.

Blacksmith

P.K.
11-28-2011, 12:31 AM
I find the easiest (sp) way to search anythin' is to put these little (") on either side.....Just frame a word or question between "........" and you will find your answer.;-)