PDA

View Full Version : USPS time of the year again

Tom-ADC
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Always seems funny to me that the USPS slows down this time of the year at least right after Thanksgiving, they must get one heck of a influx of mail/packages then.
I've been trying to get a conformation number to pop up but it isn't in the system yet.
Back log I'm sure.
I must be getting impatient in my old age.

Blacksmith
11-26-2011, 12:29 PM
They also want to raise rates and cut service so maybe a slowdown is their persuader.

Blacksmith

EDK
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
The pending closing of various post offices is only going to make things worse. I bought a RUGER VAQUERO...smokin' deal on gunbroker!....and the post office at the sellers end sent the certified/registered letter with money order and FFL to another zip code AFTER it arrived at the correct one. That wasted a day!

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE and second day air is another joke. The VAQUERO went out Wedsday pm from East Rochester NY...logged in to Louisville KY on Thursday am...finally hit the St Louis MO hub Saturday am (today)...delivery by Monday pm! While I realize Thursday was Thanksgiving day, it still got logged in...and then sat for a day plus at the hub. Evidently UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday either.

None of the services are cheap...I don't mind paying for efficient service. BUT this has been a disaster. It doesn't help that I get home at 1700 week days and it is almost dark so I can't walk down the hill to shoot. My M1A came back from SPRINGFIELD ARMORY on Monday and I got to run a few rounds through it before it starts raining today (Excellent work and the sights were dead on.)

I would strongly recommend that any transaction be done registered/certified mail ON BOTH ENDS so you can have a tracking number. You will at least know how the morons at UPS or USPS are giving the competent majority a bad name.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

3006guns
11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I've purchased numerous things over the last year and the seller was kind enough to provide a USPS tracking number, which I check every day...

First day: received at the shipping end and entered into the system.
Second day: no change
Third day: no change
Fourth day: no change
Fifth day: delivered to my house, checked the system and suddenly there's all the information regarding shipping points including "out for delivery".......while I'm holding it in my hands.

Why bother to have a "tracking system" if you can't track it until after it's delivered? This has happened on virtually everything I've ordered lately.

Tom-ADC
11-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Okay I see the info now so all is cool at this end.

rockrat
11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I sent a barrel to a guy and he sent another caiber to me, one day apart. I got his barrel in 3 days and it took 18 days for him to get mine. I sent him the tracking number, it was supposed to be delivered on Monday, the 8th. He got it last week. USPS.

PatMarlin
11-26-2011, 07:40 PM
A lot depends on the local PO. Tracking from here is a nightmare.

I even get notices of the parcel tracking saying it's coming right back here and then it shows at the customers doorstep- Sig Com!

They are a mess.

azrednek
11-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been retired for several years from the USPS so things may have changed. When I was still active there would be a rush of 3rd Class mail right after Thanksgiving. The USPS encouraged the so-called junk mailers, magazines, utility bills etc to get their stuff in the system before the Christmas rush. The rush before the Christmas rush was always a difficult time for USPS employees and managers. With the lower revenue from 2nd and 3rd class mail the USPS was real chinsey with the overtime needed to carry the load. The higher revenue from 1st Class mail like Christmas cards and Priority Mail and a lower overtime rate paid employees during December. Made things go a bit more smoothly as managers were allowed enough man-hours to do the job.

Why bother to have a "tracking system" if you can't track it until after it's delivered? This has happened on virtually everything I've ordered lately.

The USPS number is "delivery confirmation" it is not a tracking number like UPS and FedEx uses. Eventually the entire USPS system will be capable of tracking a parcel but in the mean time you can only count on delivery confirmation. Bear in mind the USPS moves more in one day than UPS, FedEx and all the others do combined in a year.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
This is a bad time of year to get stuff that is shipped. I ordered a trolling motor on a holiday sale and it arrived with the head of the unit broken off. Back it went and another is on its way. I'm glad I'm not planning any fishing trips soon.

GLL
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I send a Priority Mail letter to Indiana each month and get one in return. It takes 3 days from Indiana to Los Angeles but 7 days from Los Angeles to Indiana ! :( :(
The five "junk mail" letters I get each day seem to be handled efficiently though ! ;)

Jerry

Bad Water Bill
11-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I've purchased numerous things over the last year and the seller was kind enough to provide a USPS tracking number, which I check every day...

First day: received at the shipping end and entered into the system.
Second day: no change
Third day: no change
Fourth day: no change
Fifth day: delivered to my house, checked the system and suddenly there's all the information regarding shipping points including "out for delivery".......while I'm holding it in my hands.

Funny I thought it was only me that that happened to. UPS and FEDEX can get it correct as private carriers but the GOVERNMENT run outfit can not keep track of anything. Why does that NOT surprise me.