PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt and oversized boolits

rockrat
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Have a way out question on oversized boolits. Have a gun, origionally designed to shoot black powder/round ball, redesigned to shoot 45Colt, but is not chambered in that caliber. Think of a coversion cylinder to shoot 45 Colt in a Ruger Old Army, but instead of a cylinder it uses a sleeve. It is chambered for the 45Colt, but the bore of the cylinder is .470"and the barrel is 45 Rifle dimensions , .450"/.458". The mfg. just took a black powder sleeve, I think, and machined the percussion cap end and chambered it for 45 Colt.

Been thinking of having other sleeves made with a .459" bore and just using a .459"/460" boolit.
Could I use a 475/480 boolit, possibly gas check design, sized to .470" and loaded like a heeled boolit? Or possibly a .470" boolit and just breech seating it to where when I put a charged case in the sleeve, the boolit will just touch the casemouth?

Is the sizing down , from the sleeve to the barrel (breech kind of like a revolver) of a boolit .012" too much?

Thanks

mellonhead
11-26-2011, 09:18 AM
I think I understand what your talking about. How long is the sleeve? I my self don't think .012 is to much. When I shoot my Paradox revolver, I shot a .452 bullet through a .430 barrel. Are you planning on chambering this sleeve for 45 Colt?

Toby

rockrat
11-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Sleeve is 2.255" long and is already chambered in 45 Colt. Long distance for the boolit to rattle down the bore. Thought about rechambering to 460 S&W just so I can cut the distance down to under 1/2", instead of the inch and a quarter it is now.

MtGun44
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
The first thing to do is to find out of a .458 diam boolit seated in a .45 LC case will even
chamber. Make up a dummy round and try that. Then think hard about getting some
Win or Rem lead flat nosed factory ammo and try them. They have hollow based boolits
and are intended specifically to deal with this sort of an issue - early SAAs had huge
variations in dimensions and these are the major factories efforts to make something
mild that will shoot fairly accurately in these guns.

I think your best chance for success will be with very soft hollow based boolits at moderate
pressures, launched with fairly fast burning powders to bump up the HB boolits. Something
in the Unique range or faster.

Bill

mpmarty
11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Sleeve is 2.255" long and is already chambered in 45 Colt. Long distance for the boolit to rattle down the bore. Thought about rechambering to 460 S&W just so I can cut the distance down to under 1/2", instead of the inch and a quarter it is now.

I strongly advise against this as the chamber pressures of a 460 S&W are far and away too much for a black powder conversion.[smilie=6:

rockrat
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Not going to load to 460 pressures/ speeds, just 45Colt pressures/speeds. Plan on using Trailboss

Checking to see if a .460" boolit will chamber, is one of the next things I try.

geargnasher
11-27-2011, 12:33 AM
I think you're on track with the .460 brass, plus it's smaller than either .45 Colt or .454 Casull brass. .012" is a bunch, but with soft lead like Bill was suggesting it shouldn't be a problem unless the fast powder and long jump to the rifling causes excessive skidding of the rifling, i.e. enough skid to widen the engraves the whole length of the boolit and make the dreaded gas leaks that cause leading.

Gear