PDA

View Full Version : what & how? lube sizer questions

Dr.Doug
02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
A friend gave me this lube sizer, 2 top punches, 2 sizing dies, and 2 sticks of SPG. My only experience is with Lee sizers, so I have a lot to learn. First off, who made this little orange wonder? What should I be cautious of and what tricks will make it work better? Thanks for your help.

Doug

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3177&d=1171979694

scrapcan
02-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Link is not wokring for me. But if it is Orange it could be a lyman. I am sure someone who can get to the link will tell us what you have.

Pepe Ray
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Can't make the link work. Need a picture.
Orange indicates Lyman.
3 basic versions made over the decades. Increasing in strength primarily.
Lyman website will show an operators manual. Be careful to not loose the wrench that fits the die retaining nut. They're hard to replace. Not that you cant release the nut w/other wrenches, but the factory issue is sooooo- much faster and easier.
Look at the manual ,then ask your questions.
Pepe Ray

Dr.Doug
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry, I thought I had the photo function figured out. One of the top punches and one of the sizers are in Lyman boxes. I'll check out their web site and see what I can learn. I found nothing about the unit in Lyman's cast bullet manual.

montana_charlie
02-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Since eBay has at least one of everything on the planet, you can usually find a picture there. Does this look like your unit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-45-Sizing-Tool-dies_W0QQitemZ280083219516QQihZ018QQcategoryZ71120 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
CM

Dr.Doug
02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
That's the one! Thanks, Montana Charlie! Only difference is mine is missing the wooden handle and was $75 cheaper.

I printed the instructions for Lyman's 450 & 4500; I'll see how they compare to my model 45.

Pepe Ray- you warned about loss of the wrench that fits the die retaining nut- I don't have one- how can I get the thing out? (acutally, I don't recall seeing a retaining nut but instead a hex set screw. I'll have another look when I get home; maybe then I can ask intellegent questions!)

Duckiller
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
45 uses a set screw to hold die. Allen wrench. If you need instructions for #45 PM me or talk to Lyman. They sent me a copy about 10 years ago. Duckiller

lovedogs
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Dr. Doug I have no idea what you're shooting but will mention something that may save you some grief. That SPG lube isn't very good stuff, at least in my opinion. It sort of works for some things but after trying it a while I became very dissatisfied with it. There are lots of better products out there. Depending on application you may encounter a leading problem by using it. I would suggest you contact one of our site members who makes THE BEST LUBE I've ever used. Glenn Larsen at (208) 237-9546, www.lsstuff.com/lube Glenn will even send you a free sample to try. It's great stuff at a real good price. He's a great guy to do business with, too.

Sundogg1911
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
My Dillon Bench wrench fits the Sizing die retaining nut on the 450. I bought mine used (for $20) over a decade ago. With a heating element. I've used it for everything that I cast. It's a little slow, and doesnt work well with Bevel Base bullets, but it gets the job done. My Star should be here by the weekend. I'm planning to slowly migrate to that, starting with the calibers that I have BB molds in. I plan to keep using the 450 for oddball stuff, and calibers that I cast few of.
I'm like a kid waiting for Santa to show up :-)

Cherokee
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
The #45 is a good machine. I still use the one I started with in 1968, along with my Lyman 4500 and Star.

montana_charlie
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Pepe Ray- you warned about loss of the wrench that fits the die retaining nut- I don't have one-
Do a Google search for Chapman screwdrivers. They make a rachet that is used with a screwdriver bit to make an offset screwdriver...that rachets.
That is the 'wrench' that comes with the Lyman 45 (and 450) lubrisizers, and is used to operate the lube reservoir.

The #45 does not use a die retaining nut. Instead, there is an allen-headed setscrew.
CM

Scrounger
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Do a Google search for Chapman screwdrivers. They make a rachet that is used with a screwdriver bit to make an offset screwdriver...that rachets.
That is the 'wrench' that comes with the Lyman 45 (and 450) lubrisizers, and is used to operate the lube reservoir.

The #45 does not use a die retaining nut. Instead, there is an allen-headed setscrew.
CM

You can order it online or by phone direct from Chapman: http://www.chapmanmfg.com/ The part number is CM-13 and it costs $2.85.

Dr.Doug
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I do have the wrench that fits the reservoir, and apparently the model I have uses a set screw instead of a die retaining nut. I've spent a little more time with it and *think* I have a pretty good handle on it's operation and adjustments. As soon as I get the die I need, I'll put my education to work.

lovedogs- thanks for the lube tip. To start with, I'll be sizing RCBS 45-270-SAA's to .454", and expect to shoot them at about 1000fps in my 454 Super Redhawk.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. This board is a great resource!

Doug

TAWILDCATT
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
One Learns Some Thing Every Day I Wondered What Nut Was Being Talked About I Will Have To Take Another Look A Lymans Sizer.i Have A Lyman 45 And A Mepos Sizer.the Lyman Leaks.so May Be I Can Use Newer Dies To Stop It

carpetman
02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
TAWILDCATT---When your luber is not in use,back off on the pressure and that should take care of the leaking problem.

Norton
02-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I would suggest you contact one of our site members who makes THE BEST LUBE I've ever used. Glenn Larsen at (208) 237-9546, www.lsstuff.com/lube Glenn will even send you a free sample to try. It's great stuff at a real good price. He's a great guy to do business with, too.

It looks like a good place to do my shopping..

Thanks for the link