PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone shoot low numbered first gen 1873 Colt SA revolvers?

Hang Fire
11-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I know many say never fire them, OTH some do. I would just like to put a few low pressure loads through mine, but hesitate to do so. If any of you Guys do shoot them, what would be a good cast boolit and low pressure load to use?

I lucked into a buy from my neighbor, he had both the Colt and a JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific 45-70 which had been in his family for decades. I have pestered him for years about buying them, but he wasn’t interested, until the other day he asked if I still wanted them and asked $1200.00 for both. Took me about a nano second to say yes.

I have shot the Ballard with 500 grain boolits and it is one of the most accurate big bore BP rifles I have ever fired.

The Colt is a 44-40, (marked 44 CAL on left front side of trigger guard) it may have been marked with the acid etched "Frontier Six Shooter" on left side of barrel. But if so ,it is long gone as the exterior finish is well worn. But surprisingly internally shows little wear and mechanically very sound with a great bore, locks up tight and looks like it was not fired that much.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010259.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010258.jpg

Mk42gunner
11-25-2011, 07:23 PM
It is my understanding that the Colts with the set screw cylinder pin retainer were all blackpowder frames, I think some of the cross pin retainers are also under the serial number that Colt said was the majic number for smokless; if I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

I fail to see how occasionally shooting a gun (with light loads) can hurt the value, as long as it is cleaned properly after use. It isn't like it is in unfired condition. I would not go out and start shooting CAS with it.

Just remember the cylinder walls are pretty thin under the locking notches on the thre main calibers it was made in. Its not like it is a store brand top break that you have no idea who the manufacturer was.

With that stated; if I was to shoot that revolver, it would be with blackpowder, probably 2F.

Robert

Hang Fire
11-25-2011, 07:48 PM
It is my understanding that the Colts with the set screw cylinder pin retainer were all blackpowder frames, I think some of the cross pin retainers are also under the serial number that Colt said was the majic number for smokless; if I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

I fail to see how occasionally shooting a gun (with light loads) can hurt the value, as long as it is cleaned properly after use. It isn't like it is in unfired condition. I would not go out and start shooting CAS with it.

Just remember the cylinder walls are pretty thin under the locking notches on the thre main calibers it was made in. Its not like it is a store brand top break that you have no idea who the manufacturer was.

With that stated; if I was to shoot that revolver, it would be with blackpowder, probably 2F.

Robert

Thanks for the reply and info, as the pics show it is the set screw retaining model.

MtGun44
11-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Venturino reports that the set screw is not an absolute, they apparently didn't change it
as a particular marker of BP frames. Apparently good general indicator but not really
certain. Somebody has a SN limit, IIRC.

I'd love to shoot an old girl like that one. What is something like that worth these days?

Bill

Hang Fire
11-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Venturino reports that the set screw is not an absolute, they apparently didn't change it
as a particular marker of BP frames. Apparently good general indicator but not really
certain. Somebody has a SN limit, IIRC.

I'd love to shoot an old girl like that one. What is something like that worth these days?

Bill

SN is 116XXX which I think places it about 1886 and in BP era.

Not sure about the value, thinking about getting the $100.00 official Colt factory letter on it as to shipping date and to whom history.

williamwaco
11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
If I had one of those, she would be on the throne in my safe.

gandydancer
11-26-2011, 02:45 PM
you only pass this way but once. shootem if you got em. enyoy em while you can. to soon OLD. to soon DEAD. GD

captaint
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm with gandydancer here. If were mine, I would load up some PB and have some real fun. Gimmie a call, I'll go with ya. enjoy Mike

hydraulic
11-26-2011, 06:43 PM
In response to the position that it is your gun and you live but once; it is not just your gun; it will belong to a great many other people, in years to come, many of them your descendents, hopefully, and it is your duty and obligation, as temporary custodian, to pass it on in as close to original condition as possible. It will not harm the gun to shoot it with black powder and cast lead bullets, as it was made to be shot, but avoid the use of smokeless powder because of the danger of double charges. I have an 1896 Colt SAA in .38-40 which I shoot often. It has very little original finish left, but it will be passed on to my grandson sans reblue, sans modern sights, sans anything but gun oil. With a caseful of 2f and a cast .401 ww bullet I can hit tin cans and a steel plate at 25 yds., most of the time, and the great cloud of white smoke adds substantially to the enjoyment of this revolver.

shovel80
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
In a gun shop where I live..there is a first generation for sale...it is 2000.00....And not in as good as shape as yours looks!

Damn I''d love to have one!!

Terry

captaint
11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I would really like to have an original too, but i won't pay that price for a gun that's not in vey good condition. And I won't EVEN pay for one in great condition. I just don't have that kind of money. So, I did what I thought was the next best thing. I bought a USFA premium SAA. It's really a beautiful piece. AND I can look at it and say "so this is what they looked like when they were brand new". I enjoy shooting it a lot. Mike