PDA

View Full Version : Lead is heavy!

Freightman
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Went to the range today wind was running 30+ so accuracy wasn't in the books but didn't;t waste a trip. Went to the bulls eye range where all the cast boolit events are held, had a five gallon pail took about ten minutes to get 1/2 full. I had a 1/4" hail screen sifter. went to pick up the pail, you have to be kidding I had to put 1/2 in another container. I got almost 200# and did shoot some not a bad day.
The lead runs about 75% hard cast 10% jacketed and 15% 22cal. Makes great boolits.

dmftoy1
02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
So I've always been curious . .do you just melt down the jacketed stuff too? (I'm assuming the jackets become dross that you skim off?)

Freightman
02-19-2007, 10:21 PM
If the jacket has a hole in it the lead will pour out and the jacket will float up. I had quite unique flux as we have a lot of sand burrs works great.

357maximum
02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Lead is heavy!

thanks I needed that...:mrgreen:

One thing to remember with range scrap, put in smelting pot when no melt is present, unless of course you want to invite the tinsel fairy for a visit. Old jackets and gas checks, cracks and crevices can hold alot of moisture even when they look dry....

NVcurmudgeon
02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
357 maximum is right on about nooks an crannys holding moisture. I once had some grudely made three pound sinkers that were mostly machine shop scrap with just enough lead ot fill the mould. They looked like prunes on the outside, and I had to pre-warm them with a propane torch to prevent the tinsel fairy from appearing. Also, as you get ready to smelt that scrap, be on the lookout for dud .22 RF rounds, one of those can ruin your day and the ceiling of your shop.

44man
02-20-2007, 01:15 AM
You sure are lucky. I went to my range where we shoot BPCR to see if I could salvage any lead. The berms are full of gravel and the boolits explode even at 500 meters. I didn't get but a few boolits.

randyrat
02-20-2007, 01:49 AM
If the jacket has a hole in it the lead will pour out and the jacket will float up. I had quite unique flux as we have a lot of sand burrs works great. I use saw dust, but heck those sand burrs would work just great! And to think people pay $$ for flux.