PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 Clogged

41 mag fan
11-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Anybody have a fast way to unclog a clog in the Lee Pots?
I tried a paperclip but that didn't work, before it hardened up in the bottom.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get it unclogged. I'm not even for sure how small the hole is on it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all tomorrow !!

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I use a pair of vise grips and a small drill bit when the pot is hot I have heard of people using a propane torch but I have not tried that yet.

zomby woof
11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Propane torch, small allen wrench

41 mag fan
11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
I use a pair of vise grips and a small drill bit when the pot is hot I have heard of people using a propane torch but I have not tried that yet.

You going in I'm guessing from the inside of the pot??
That was probably a dumb question but I've only had this pot 6 mo if that.
Really hate to mess it up.

Propane torch, small allen wrench

The propane torch you using on the inside or outside of spout?

The small allen wrench I know for sure I've got, not sure about the drill bit like Reload mentioned.
Guess same question though, going from the inside or outside to try clearing it?

Sorry if the questions are dumb, but thank you for the help.

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I put on a big pair of welders gloves put the drill bit in a vise grip pliers have the pot at operating temp.....there is molten lead inside.. lift the handle with my free hand and poke the drill bit up through the spout from the out side ...(doesn't have to be a drill bit a stiff wire would work too.)

41 mag fan
11-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I put on a big pair of welders gloves put the drill bit in a vise grip pliers have the pot at operating temp.....there is molten lead inside.. lift the handle with my free hand and poke the drill bit up through the spout from the out side ...(doesn't have to be a drill bit a stiff wire would work too.)

Ahh, that I can do....thank you very much for the info.

tomme boy
11-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I use an old torch cleaning wire set. It has a bunch of differant sizes. Just run them up from the nozzle.

afish4570
11-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Of course a gloved hand, copper wire and inch or two long , or a tooth pick held by a pair of needle nosed plies with work too...afish4570.....Carefully too.;)

zomby woof
11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
The propane torch you using on the inside or outside of spout?

The small allen wrench I know for sure I've got, not sure about the drill bit like Reload mentioned.
Guess same question though, going from the inside or outside to try clearing it?

The allen wrench is bent, it will keep your hand away from the spout. heat up the spout and wrench. You need to poke around and clear the plug. make sure the pot is up to temp and flow some lead out. You're doing this from the outside.

41 mag fan
11-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I use an old torch cleaning wire set. It has a bunch of differant sizes. Just run them up from the nozzle.

I've got some old cleanouts from work we use on our water sprays when they clog on the belts....all different sizes. They'll work perfectly.

Ronbo256
11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I use welding torch cleanout rods, you can get a whole box for a few dollars at your local welding supply place. I wear heavy welding gloves and use a large pair of dykes to hold the wire while I pole the spout clean with an ingot tray under the spout. I use my free hand to keep the pot from moving, might be even better to clamp it down.

lunicy
11-24-2011, 03:00 PM
one more in the torch club.

Sonnypie
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
And for craps sakes, put a can under the spout. Tuna can...

Molten lead flowing (and burning everything like lava) everywhere is not a pretty sight.

Tom W.
11-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I use a custom made device and a small pair of channelocks....

Well, a re-formed big paperclip..

41 mag fan
11-25-2011, 03:22 PM
And for craps sakes, put a can under the spout. Tuna can...

Molten lead flowing (and burning everything like lava) everywhere is not a pretty sight.

Why sonnypie?? I could put a wet washrag down and have it looking like you see on TV with the volcanoes...nice and steamy :veryconfu

mdi
11-25-2011, 04:32 PM
The pot will need to be at operating temp. If I were to use a propane tourch, it would be from the outside against the nozzle, but if the pot is at operating temp, prolly not necessary (turn it up to max. if needed). I use a pair of long nose pliers and a paperclip...

trench
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
this is why I went with a big cast iron pot I got at Wallys, a propane fired plumber's furnace, and a Lyman dipper. I tried the open topped dipper, but it caused lots of bevel bases on bullets that are supposed to be flat based! :-) The dipper is just barely big enough for a 6 cavity .45 mold, if you are very careful. If your gang mold is bigger, you'd have to make a larger dipper somehow, I suppose.

41 mag fan
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Actually got my unclogged today...finally. Just kept putting it off.
But it only took me about 2 min. after the pot was heated up.