PDA

View Full Version : Smelting, how heavy?

Canuck Bob
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I have a turkey fryer and cutdown propane cylinder for smelting. How many pounds of lead would you guys consider safe?

It is one of those typical Chinese fryers. I beefed up the spot welds with my torch welder so the legs and deck pieces are secure.

arjacobson
11-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I cut the legs down on mine and rewelded the top ring it so it was closer to the flame. I have done 180lbs in one batch without too much trouble. I tested mine by standing on it and jumping up and down(high tech!) You should be able to run about the same if your smelting pot is large enough.

imashooter2
11-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I stacked 300 weighed pounds on mine then gave a healthy lean on it. It held that, so I figure it GTG for 150 pounds working weight.

I would recommend the same sort of twice working weight test for your setup.

Mk42gunner
11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I tested mine like arjacobson did.

I need to make a new base for mine, the daughter kind of rearranged it with a pickup tire:oops:

Robert

hk33ka1
11-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I collapsed my Bass Pro fryer with somewhere around 200lbs in a cut down BBQ tank. It happened after things got heated up. I now rest my Bass Pro burner on a metal frame I have and it holds up to whatever my lead pot holds.

I have this model.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Stainless-Steel-Turkey-Fryer-with-Spigot/product/10211714/123840

Lefty SRH
11-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a turkey fryer and cutdown propane cylinder for smelting. How many pounds of lead would you guys consider safe?

It is one of those typical Chinese fryers. I beefed up the spot welds with my torch welder so the legs and deck pieces are secure.

I cut the legs down on mine and rewelded the top ring it so it was closer to the flame. I have done 180lbs in one batch without too much trouble. I tested mine by standing on it and jumping up and down(high tech!) You should be able to run about the same if your smelting pot is large enough.

I'd like to see pics (PLEASE) of this set up. I want to build a smelting pot and have a couple extra gas grill propane tanks.