PDA

View Full Version : 429244hp

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Just finished making, checking, sizing and lubing a bunch of these:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/429244HP.jpg

I think these are really pretty boolits. This happens to be the first cast boolit type I ever saw, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them. With a good stiff load in a .44 Magnum, they'll soften up most any heart.

singleshotbuff
02-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Ricochet,

Truely a thing of beauty. I feel the same way about 452424, the first/best/prettiest cast boolit I ever loaded in a real caliber (not counting a few hundred 358156). Would love to have a mold in HP form. Truely a "heart stopper" LOL.

SSB

leftiye
02-19-2007, 02:21 AM
devastating!

rvpilot76
02-19-2007, 03:59 AM
devastating!:-D

I really wish someone would make a HP mold in 45 caliber with about 300 grains of heft. Expansion AND penetration; whooda thunkit!

Kevin :castmine:

MT Gianni
02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Buckshot hp'd my mold and while I have never shot anything but paper and rocks with it,[ no sissors Carpetman] it is a great bullet. Gianni.

Dale53
02-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I recently wrote Lyman about the possibility of them making the Keith Hollow Points again. They replied that there was little call for hollow point moulds. I wish all of you good people would write and suggest a run of the three caliber Keith Hollow point moulds (.358, .430, and .452). Actually, I would be happy with the either of the Ray Thompson's designs. The gas check models have the advantage of using softer bullets without leading. Since I would only be using these for hunting, the slow production would be of little concern (I use gang moulds for practice use).

Send a note to Lyman, it can't hurt. Maybe we could get them to make a Group Buy run?

Dale53

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Good idea, Dale.

The #452424 (and #454424) are really pretty boolits, too.

Funny thing about the Lyman Keith moulds, in the catalogs when I was growing up they only showed a few with the hollow points like the #429244HP and #457122HP. I think it was in there that you could special order a lot of mould types as a hollow point, but I'd never heard of anyone hollowpointing a Keith boolit until I happened to see a #429421 hollowpoint in a Gun Digest article in maybe the late '80s-early '90s. Maybe they don't have demand for them because few know about them.

Wonder how the new Devastators with the big hollow noses are selling? That might revive some interest in them.

This batch of boolits is really soft. Easily thumbnail dentable. I'll find out before long whether that'll work with a full load of WC820 in my Super Blackhawk with the check and my scientifically developed "Brown Thunder" lube. :lol: It works well with the same soft alloy, heat treated to harden it a bit, in the plain based Lee 429-255-SWC. I uncharacteristically dropped these on a cloth and air cooled them.

These checked hollow points are way too labor intensive to make for random plinking. For that I'll stick with the plain based boolits from a six holer mould that I don't even have to size, just tumble or dip lube, load and shoot. But these are way cool!

Hey, as for the .45HP in the 300 grain range, has anyone tried sizing down a #457122HP to .45 pistol diameter? Surely it's been done.

Bullshop
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
They do! The Lyman #122 HP. Just size it down, works great. My Rugers love it. Try something like a 30/1 alloy and you will be impressed with the expansion.
BIC/BS

leftiye
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah, what he said! (bullshop re. Lyman 457122 sized down).

I suspect that most casters have been indoctrinated with the "you can't shoot soft lead fast, and you can't rely on hollowpoint lead only boolits not falling apart, and so you'd better get a big meplat flat nosed really hard boolit and shoot it really fast" religion.

First, It seems to me that just like shotshell loads, velocity isn't the whole answer. Those large meplat boolits are unstable ballistically, and tumble when they slow down. AND they slow down fast because of the large meplat, so velocity ends up being the same at long range as a ballistically efficient boolit that was started out much slower (just like the shot from the fast load in the shotshells). And where the round nose hollow point now can still open up at this lower speed and do great damage, the flat nose tumbles intead. Unless used only at close range the really large meplat boolits don't work as advertised. It gets worse as the caliber gets bigger too. Elmer's SWCs didn't tumble (smaller meplats), he shot deer at 500 yds with them! But in this case you still have only a solid boolit which has a really poor ballistic coefficient.

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, I know that my Uncle Don killed a bunch of deer with his .44 shooting these hollow point boolits. His were cast very soft. Most people with .44 Magnums were loading 22 grains of 2400 then; I expect that's what he had under them.

Ricochet
04-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Here are some of these same boolits from the same batch. They have been in an unsealed plastic bag in the basement which has had some flooding issues and been rather humid. The lead has some white carbonate corrosion, and the copper has bright green verdigris apparently from free fatty acids in the lube. Lanolin and beeswax are the ingredients containing fatty acids. All of my stored boolits lubed with this stuff have the same green checks. Unlubed checked boolits, jacketed bullets and brass cases stored in the same place are bright. I'm going to have to rethink my lube choices.

Ricochet
04-16-2016, 08:41 AM
These boolits still load and shoot fine, though. I won't leave them unfired for long as I expect the lube affects brass as it does the copper checks. These have a full load of WC820 under them, in Winchester -Western cases I've had and used since the early 1970s.

W.R.Buchanan
04-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Mihec made both .429421 (H&G 503 clone) and 429244GC with HP pins. The first one was my First Mihec Mould and the 429244 came along a year or so ago.

Both make these boolits in a variety of configurations. Small Round HP, Large Round HP, Pentagonal HP, and Solids. You couldn't ask for more.

I think you could do just about anything you could possibly want to do with a .44 Rifle or Pistol with these two moulds.

I load the .429244's in Magnum rounds intended for my Marlin 1894 CB with 22 gr of H110 1600 fps and very accurate. These also work in my SBH Bisley.

the H&G 503 is loaded in .44 Specials relatively mild for my S&W 696 and Mid Range for the Ruger SB Bisley , and then in Magnum cases for the SBH Bisley Mid Range and Hotter.

These two boolits will cover anything from Personal Defense to Big Game Hunting or possibly shooting cars or other inanimate objects where the intention is to put big holes thru things.

Randy

Char-Gar
04-17-2016, 06:08 PM
429244 was designed by Ray Thompson and has always been a great bullet for the 44 Mag. I have a HP version and a 4 cavity solid version.