PDA

View Full Version : Tried a 6 hole mold for 1st time

MikeSSS
02-19-2007, 12:54 AM
A shooting bud gave me a Lee 6 cavity mold for the .45, it casts truncated cone tumble lube boolits and they are not accurate for him.

I like RN FP's but wanted to try 6 cavity before buying one. I had to shape the new handles a bit to make them work but then they did.

Well, the 6 cylinder worked like a champ. I used a mix of used boolits and wheel weights, had to run it a bit hotter than just using used boolits.

Poured one cavity at a time from a Lee bottom pour pot till all six were filled.

The boolits came out fine and lots of em in a given amount of time. After each cast I put the sprues back in the pot, that worked.

I made a dummy round, it was too long and I don't want to change the seater so I'll order a 6 cavity 250 gr RNFP Lee mold. These boolits will go back into the pot or be used in the Model P revolvers.

Think I'll get six cavity molds for the .45LC/ACP, 44-40 and 38sp/9mm.

Faster is better!

Love the silver stream.

Sundogg1911
02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I just finally broke down and ordered 2 six cavity Lee's after not using Lee molds for years (I had a few of the 2 cavity molds kind of self destruct on me) The new 6 bangers work nice. They seem to be of a better quality than the double and single cavity Lee molds. I got the .40 cal 175 gr TC, and the 9mm. 125 gr. TC. knocked out a few thousand of each and they shoot well. Even found Lyman top punches that fit like a glove. I'm not ready to sell off my Lyman, RCBS, Hensley & Gibbs, or Saeco molds, but the 6 cavity Lee's are a welcome addition. I'm getting ready to order 3 more!

Dale53
02-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I got introduced to the Lee products by a friend who is a Lee Distributor. The price offered so much value that I had to try them. Lee has done a great deal for reloaders by offering innovative products at VERY reasonable prices.

All moulds, including iron ones, are VERY fragile. They need lubed at critical points and they need tended to like a baby. If you take care of your equipment (be gentle:)) they will last longer than you will.

Bullshop sprueplate lube is worthy of your consideration. I would not want to be without it. I only know Bullshop from this Forum but I sure do like his Sprue Plate Lube (and he is a nice fellow to do business with).

Dale53

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
The six holers' rate of production is intoxicating! I can empty out a 20 pound pot right quickly with one.

Dropping the sprues straight back into the pot is OK. But if you drop reject boolits out of the mould into the pot you'll soon regret it. Lead splashed on the faces of the moulds keeps them from closing tightly, and it'll drive you batty trying to figure out why your boolits are coming out finned and oversized. Then it'll aggravate you to death trying to get all the stuff cleaned off that's keeping them from closing properly.

The wooden handle covers sometimes slip off too easily. I dropped a whole six-holer mould full of hot .44 boolits into my water bucket recently as I went to drop the boolits. Didn't hurt it, I jammed the handle back on, shook it off well, warmed it on top of the pot for a while and went back to casting.

tomf52
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Ricochet - That mold handle problem is common with the six bangers. To fix mmine I roughed up the handle tangs with a file and secured them with epoxy. Seems to have taken care of it.

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Good idea!

imashooter2
02-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Even better than epoxy is silicone caulk.

Freightman
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I drilled a small hole in the metal at the front of the handles , made an indention on the metal and put a set screw in didn't have any epoxie and didn't want to run get any.

Buckshot
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
..................Roll pin works great.

..............Buckshot

Dale53
02-20-2007, 02:21 AM
My "handle fix" for various moulds, for years has been to drill through the escutcheon and metal part of the handle. Then put a close fitting (#5x40) screw and nut. Totally cures the problem for all time. However, it IS a bit of work and when someone on here mentioned that he found high temperature silicon (the red stuff from the auto parts store) to work well, I gave it a try. It works VERY well. I now keep a small tube on my casting bench. When a handle comes lose, I just pull it off, silicone it up, and continue. That solves that RIGHT NOW!

Dale53