PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Marten

Ivantherussian03
02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I caught a nice male marten in one of my traps. :-D That makes me feel good inside.[smilie=1:

RugerFan
02-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Years ago I shot a pine marten with a load of #7 1/2s out of my .44mag BH. The little bugger was tying to munch the quartered blacktail buck I had hanging outside of our forestry cabin on Admiralty Island, Alaska. His running buddy was smarter and I never caught him in the act.

MtGun44
02-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I've got a Russian hat that is probably made from marten fur.
REALLY warm. Are the pelts worth much nowdays?

Bill

Ivantherussian03
02-25-2007, 02:09 AM
They average 50, but a dark one can be more. The highest i have seen is 86 bucks. They are a lot fun; I caught another today. I will post the photo.:-D

Ivantherussian03
02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
I caught this one in a toe trap. 1st time for that.[smilie=1:

AkMike
02-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Rugerfan
What you probably got was a mink. There aren't many if any marten in SE Ak. I've had to killthem with an ax handle to keep them off the deer when it's hanging. They're all over at night when the tides out.

Maineboy
02-25-2007, 07:03 AM
I watched a pine marten chasing a snowshoe hare down our road the other day. They went into the woods when they saw me, so I don't know if he caught him. we see alot more marten and fisher than we used to, but then we don't have very many trappers up here anymore.

monadnock#5
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I've never seen a snowshoe hare, and I live in an area that was once over run with them, according to the old timers. The game biologists claim that urban sprawl, and especially the fisher cat, is the cause. Feral cats don't last long either.

Ken

RugerFan
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Rugerfan
What you probably got was a mink. There aren't many if any marten in SE Ak. I've had to killthem with an ax handle to keep them off the deer when it's hanging. They're all over at night when the tides out.

That could be I suppose. I used to trap mink in Wisconsin (by accident anyway when they would stumble into one of my muscrat or raccoon sets). That critter I shot an Admiralty looked different. I took it to a taxidermist to have mounted and he thought it was a pine marten too. Although that guy turned out to be an idiot and did a horrible job on the mount. I gave it away.