PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron Model P Jr. Shoots Bullets Sideways

bowfin
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM

sqlbullet
11-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Those are some big throats. You have it, so try and see, but I fear you will get enough blow-by in the throats to eliminate your lube before you get to the barrel.

Not sure what to advise.

uscra112
11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Not familiar with that one. It must have two cylinders, to handle those two cartridges, nicht war? So, how about the .32-20 thoats, then.

That's a ridiculously large set of throats for a .32 H&R. It wasn't bought new, I take it, so if the .32-20 cylinder doesn't work, you've got an expensive paperweight there.

Unless you can get hollowbase wadcutters to slug up in the throat sufficiently to seal.

cajun shooter
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Bowfin, It has been my experience that a lot of guns that are built as convertibles have similar problems. The gun makers make these type of guns to increase sales.
I shoot 44-40 which is .427 in my USFA revolvers and Uberti 73. They have companies that make guns with both cylinders. One 44-40 and one 44 magnum. The problem is that most 44 magnums slug at .430-431. Something has to give so they make the barrel so that it fires the larger bullet. When fired with .427 bullets which maybe .004 smaller,then the problem starts. The bullet will have hot gases going by the bullet and it will not spin as it should. It instead ends up with a sideways hit on target.
My books show the 32 H&R to be .312 and the 32-20 at .314 so this along with gun measurements could lead to problems.
This problem has shown up when they make a gun to shoot 45ACP and 45 Colt which in a lot of guns have a difference that maybe hard to overcome. You have .451 and .454 which does not work out most times. Later David

captaint
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I've been considering getting a 44-40 cylinder for my USFA revolver. I'd have to get with the USFA folks prior to doing that, it appears. It's a 44 SPL now. If the chamber throats are going to be that different, I'll just can that idea. Mike

Dale53
11-22-2011, 05:13 PM
There is NOTHING wrong with the convertible idea. In the particular case here, the execution is the problem. Having .317" throats for an H&R is horrible! I have a number of .32 H&R chambered revolvers and ALL of them work just fine with .313" cast bullets.

Further, I have a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible that shoots like a match gun with either cylinder. This particular revolver was shipped with undersize cylinder throats. I reamed them (both cylinders) to .4525" and now it is a DANDY.

Don't slam all convertibles - many are wonderful combinations.

I have heard of a number of the Ruger Buckeye Specials (.32/20 and .32 H&R) that work extremely well.

Dale53

bowfin
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I am going to slug the barrel and chamber throats again, for lack of anything better to do, and make sure I am not mistaken. I haven't slugged the .32-20 cylinder yet.

I put my name down for one of Mihec's .32 hollow based wadcutter moulds, as that seems like my best chance of getting this revolver to shoot with the current .32 H&R cylinder, if it does measure out again with such oversize throats.

By the way, I just bought a .401 Herter's Powermag with a .38-40 convertible cylinder. My son wants to get one more cylinder in 10mm magnum for the heighth of ...well, whatever disease that afflicts people to lust after obscure guns and cartridges...

Yance
11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Cimmarron tends to sell "pretty". I'm working on a Model P .44-40 for a friend. It has a similar problem, only with one more fly in the ointment.

Chambers were reamed to original dimensions figuring on a .427 dai bullet. No biggie except that the throats mic .434-.435 so the bullet can start to turn sideways before hitting a .429 groove barrel.

Anyone interested I'll forward the letter I wrote to Cimmarron about their QC.

I'm about to start work with a heeled bullet, grease/felt wad, and FFFg. We'll see how that goes.