PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite single shot?

PPpastordon
02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Many have listed their single shot collection. Phil has shown us his favorite. Now, what is your favorite? And, "No," you don't need a picture. But pictures are nice.

I suppose if one goes by what one keeps returning to, mine is definitely the Contender Carbine. I am sure that mine in the .357 Max will remain my overall favorite. It has done great work for the years I have owned it. It is accurate enough for varmints, but is also capable for deer. It is also a great companion to the Super 14 T/C barrel and with my "home-made" Ruger in the same chambering.
Nothing especially beautiful, except in function!

madcaster
02-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Hmmm,
Right now I don't own one(a single shot rifle that is!),but I kinda like the Sharps Bochart in a way,but also a Remington Rolling Block and Stevens,etc.,,,,

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Shiloh Sharps LRE in 45-70. Upgrade wood, pewter nose cap, french grey finish, shotgun butt plate.

Rich
DRSS

threett1
02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Well....at the moment my Italian Sharps. Very nice finish. 40/65. Shoots better than I can by far. Have a friend that loves for me to bring it to his place. He is the one that can shoot it good. Now when I get that Roller built....

MtGun44
02-19-2007, 01:41 AM
I have a wonderfully accurate and beautiful (to my eyes at least)
Rem RB #4 .22 LR. With original sights I have shot 50 yd groups
that you can cover with a nickel on multiple occasions. I had to
rebuild the trigger when I first got it, but otherwise it was in
extremely good shape.

A couple pix. My rule on squirrels is head shots only. :)

I also have a well used RB#5 in 7x57 that shoots very well, but
it isn't as pretty.

Bill

Boz330
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Depends on what day it is. I shoot my 40-65 Highwall for BPCRS a 75 Shaps in 38-55 for hunting deer and several Martinis for grins and giggles. Sometimes depends on what I have loaded on the shelf. I spend a a lot of powder and lead on the highwall though.

Bob

Harry Eales
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Hmmm,
Right now I don't own one(a single shot rifle that is!),but I kinda like the Sharps Bochart in a way,but also a Remington Rolling Block and Stevens,etc.,,,,

Hello madcaster,

I fully agree with you, The Sharps Borchadt is 'THE' singleshot rifle. Not having seen a single specimen in 50 years of shooting on this side of 'the pond' I've started to build my own.

I've had a few hickups along the way, but I'm slowly getting there. I'm planning not only to build the rifle but also the sights as well. I'm in no rush, I'm just taking my time. The attached photograph is the last I took of the current state of completion, but that was taken a couple of months ago. With luck I'll have it belching smoke and lead later in the year.

I'm just starting off with the breechblock now. I've duplicated many parts, there's no harm in having a spare part or two.

Harry

Bent Ramrod
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I like the Stevens line best; the 44 and the 44-1/2, with the Ballard maybe second and the others in third place. Can't say I actively dislike any of them; I've tried to get specimens of every one I can afford.

Harry, have you found out what the function is of those holes in the lower rear of the Borchardt receiver, besides holding plug screws? Congratulations on your effort to make your own authentic replica; with no model to copy, just getting the parts beyond the drawing stage is an achievement. It's a brilliant design, too.

AkMike
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I was under the impression that the factory used those holes for their jigs during the machineing operations.

My favorite is the side levers like Hepburn or Westley Richards.

longhorn
02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Shiloh Saddle Rifle, .45-70

That's sure a handsome old W-R, AkMike!

NickSS
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
My favort is a C. Sharps 1875 business rifle in 45-70 I've put more rounds by double through it than any other single shot I own (perhaps it's because I have had it longest but it's the one I pick up most often to go to the range with.

Larry Gibson
02-20-2007, 01:31 PM
H&R Officers Model Trapdoor Springfield.

Larry Gibson

lovedogs
02-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Most of my SS's are Contenders and I truly love 'em. They're all great. But my favorite, and you can laugh if you want to, is my H&R (actually a W&H) Buffalo Classic .45-70. It only cost me about $320 new but I've had more fun with it than any gun I own, I think. Some of the members of our local silhouette club own high-dollar rifles, Sharps, Rollers, etc., but this cheap BC outshoots them all. My best showing on a freshly-painted 876 yd. buffalo last summer was five shots in
5 1/2 inches. It shoots 500 gr. 1881 RN's into MOA with three different powders. It also shoots jacketed 300gr. into MOA. It's a lot of overkill with prairie dogs and coyotes but is one of the best deer guns going. They don't go far if they move at all after being hit by her. And she's light enough to carry hunting all day. Good gun! The Sharps and others get all the glory, it seems, but this one has outshot every .45-70 it's gone against. One guy almost threw his $6,000 Sharps in the dirt summer before last when he saw what I'd outshot him with. He was almost in tears. What can I say? Beauty is as beauty does! I'll take my BC (named Juanita) out any day!

Harry Eales
02-24-2007, 07:36 AM
I like the Stevens line best; the 44 and the 44-1/2, with the Ballard maybe second and the others in third place. Can't say I actively dislike any of them; I've tried to get specimens of every one I can afford.

Harry, have you found out what the function is of those holes in the lower rear of the Borchardt receiver, besides holding plug screws? Congratulations on your effort to make your own authentic replica; with no model to copy, just getting the parts beyond the drawing stage is an achievement. It's a brilliant design, too.

Hello Bent Ramrod.
The plug screws towards the back of the Borchardt action are simply to cover a hole through the action, that provided a chip clearance when the action was being machined. The rear square end of the breechblock mortice was cut to final shape using a vertical shaper. It is possible to mill out most of this metal, but the final finishing had to be done by a shaping machine, hence the need for a chip clearance hole.

Today it would be possible to cut/erode this area using a 'plunge' EDM former, but it is an expensive way of doing the job. Back in the 1880's they didn't have this facility, and simply used the tools that were available at the time.

Those plugs do look a little ugly, and that is why the panelled sections were inserted in the 'civilian' versions of the 1878 Borchardt rifle. They look good, and they did cover up those ugly screw holes in the very pretty manner.

If you can get your hands on a Borchardt and strip it down you'll see exactly what I mean.

Harry

Bent Ramrod
02-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Harry. It's been a while since took my Borchardt varmint rifle apart, but I'll look for where the mortise ends next time I do.

Gussy
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Browning 1885's. Shoot very well (BPCR's) and look great.
Gus

Bigjohn
02-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Browning 1885 BPCR, Pedersoli 1874 Sharps and MARTINI'S (Henrey's, Enfield & Cadets).

The only way to go.

John.

PatMarlin
02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I have a wonderfully accurate and beautiful (to my eyes at least)
Rem RB #4 .22 LR. With original sights I have shot 50 yd groups
that you can cover with a nickel on multiple occasions. I had to
rebuild the trigger when I first got it, but otherwise it was in
extremely good shape.

A couple pix. My rule on squirrels is head shots only. :)

I also have a well used RB#5 in 7x57 that shoots very well, but
it isn't as pretty.

Bill

That is a gem Bill... :drinks: