PDA

View Full Version : .30 Mauser Ohaus Mould ??????

Muskrat Mike
02-18-2007, 05:38 PM
I went to a small gun show this afternoon and came out with a bunch of decent priced brass and a couple of moulds. I paid $10.00 for an Ohaus 2 cavity .30 Mauser 85 grain Round Nose only because I thought it might work for my 32-20. and it's in good shape. My questions are to find out if anybody has any experience with that mold and what handles might fit it? Does Ohaus still make moulds?:coffee:
Mike

PPpastordon
02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I suspect, unless you actually have a .30-20, the Mauser mould will cast too small. J bullets for it are .309, if I remember correctly. However, many who have them shoot regular .308 j bullets.
If it does cast as big as 312 to 314, it should work fine.
Also, it seems to me that Ohaus was once tied to Lyman. With that in mind, I would think Lyman handles should work fine.

Muskrat Mike
02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I suspect, unless you actually have a .30-20, the Mauser mould will cast too small. J bullets for it are .309, if I remember correctly. However, many who have them shoot regular .308 j bullets.
If it does cast as big as 312 to 314, it should work fine.
Also, it seems to me that Ohaus was once tied to Lyman. With that in mind, I would think Lyman handles should work fine.

Thanks! I have to try the lyman handles.
The two bullets that were stored in it mike at .312 and the directions on the box recommend sizing to .311 for the Mauser so I think if find handles to fit I 'll be able to try it for the 32-20.
Thanks again
Mike

w30wcf
02-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Muskrat Mike,

I believe that it was RCBS that took over the Ohaus line. THe mold dimensions are very similar. The Ohaus 2 cavity mold I had required RCBS handles.

Good luck,

w30wcf

NVcurmudgeon
02-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I believe that RCBS got into the casting business by buying out Ohaus' mold line. AFAIK, Ohaus still makes RCBS scales. Ohaus molds are very good, but I have no experience with the one mentioned. Believe RCBS handles fit Ohaus moulds.

KCSO
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Mine use rcbs handles. That bullet will make a fine plinking bullet in any 30-303 rifle. I just got done shooting some of those in my Argentine behind 5.5 of unique. At 25 yards they will throw into one ragged hole and make less noise than a 22.

Sailman
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a single cavity Ohaus mold 30-170-F. My single cavity Lyman handles fit that mold and allow the mold to close properly. My Lyman double cavity handles fit the single cavity mold but do not allow the single cavity mold to close completely. However, I have a second set of Lyman double cavity handles that have been altered and that allows the single cavity mold to close correctly.

If you have an Ohaus single cavity mold and a Lyman double cavity handle, mount the mold in the double cavity handle and it will be obvious where you have to remove metal. A good vice, a good course file, a good fine file, and a little work will do the trick.

If however, you have an Ohaus double cavity mold ( I don't know if they made a double mold ), try the Lyman double cavity mold handles to see if they work.

Sailman

beagle
02-18-2007, 11:55 PM
My .32-20 shoots great with .311 bullets so that one should work out all right for you.

I prefer a little heavier bullet but that one should work fine./beagle

Muskrat Mike
02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Muskrat Mike,

I believe that it was RCBS that took over the Ohaus line. THe mold dimensions are very similar. The Ohaus 2 cavity mold I had required RCBS handles.

Good luck,

w30wcf

RCBS Handles fit perfectly and the mould cast nice little bullets. I ran off 200 to try out the mould and they look like I should try them in my 32-20 and possibly as plinkers for other .30 cal guns.
I'm trying to join the modern era and attach my first ever picture to a post. I hope it works!
Mike

leftiye
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Cute boolit! I'm working on a k frame .25 hornet conversion right now, maybe I should go .30 carbine and use that boolit?

Muskrat Mike
02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
As cast they weigh 87 grains with my mix ( 19# WW-1# 95/5 soldier) and measure .312
Mike

Nueces
02-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!

leftiye! We gotta talk!

Please say more about your 25 Hornet project: ie, base gun, rim-to-center-fire conversion, who's doing the barrel, all that stuff.

And, if you decide to go with the 308 bore, you might consider the 30 on the 357 case. I have Paco Kelly's old reamer for his version, with the gentle shoulder, which I'm sure would work well in a revolver. I've considered this myself. Be glad to lend you the reamer. Whatever you decide, be assured of at least one rabidly interested reader for all your reports on this project.

Let us know, Mark

PPpastordon
02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
leftiye;
"Cute boolit! I'm working on a k frame .25 hornet conversion right now, maybe I should go .30 carbine and use that boolit?"

I gotta tell ya, it sure looks like a great .30 Carbine boolit to me!

Muskrat Mike
02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Loaded up 50 of them tonight for the 32-20. They loaded fine and work through the old Marlin action. Now to get the weather and time to try them at the range!