PDA

View Full Version : New sprue plate.......

Lizard333
11-19-2011, 04:13 PM
So I'm thinking it's a good day. I get back from the gun show and I am looking forward to casting with my new (used) 45 acp mold and after casting the first couple of boolets, I motive the top cavity has spillover on the bottom of the sprue plate. The other cavity is fine. After looking a little closer, I notice the sprue is either warped or bent, either way I guess I need to replace it. The question is where do I get new sprue plates?? Btw, it is Lyman 452 374 F. If that helps.

MikeS
11-19-2011, 04:29 PM
You can buy a new sprue plate from Midway. They have a kit, it includes a new sprue plate, along with all the screws used on the mould. I've found that usually the screws to mount the mould to the handles that come in the kit have heads that are too large to fit older moulds. The sprue plate that comes in the kit is the newer thicker style that most people find work better than the thinner original ones. The mould rebuild kits sell for under $10.00 at Midway, but the kit comes from Lyman, so perhaps another supplier might have the kits cheaper. I replaced all the sprue plates on all the 2 cavity moulds I have (or had) as I like the newer sprue plate more than the older ones. Having said that, I have several of the older style sprue plates sitting around here doing nothing, if you want, send me you address in a PM, and I'll mail one out to you.

11-19-2011, 04:50 PM
That's a very generous offer, MikeS.

Lizard333
11-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I think I'll take you up on that offer. Very nice indeed. Pm on the way!

MikeS
11-20-2011, 01:41 AM
And in so taking up the offer, you have made one sprue plate very happy! No longer will it have to languish in a draw disconnected from those it so eagerly wants to serve, just knowing that soon it will be reconnected with a pair of mould blocks that will relish it's service to them, has made this a happy sprue plate! :)

Dennis Eugene
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
LOL a very generous guy and with a sense of humor too! Dennis