PDA

View Full Version : Lead free ammo

colt 357
11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
As everyone knows there is a movement towards a ban on lead ammo and going lead free. Does anyone have a plan for casting if this ban ever gets in. What are the ways for us to cast if we cant use lead. I heard the lead free bullet are all copper is this true. do they make molds and a pots to melt at cooper temps.
Is there other metals close to lead that we could use.
They try it here in Iowa but our governor shut them down. Way to go Gov.
So do you guys have plan B incase this band ever gets in.

gandydancer
11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't have a clue. they don't want the lead in the ground? GEE I wonder where they get lead from?? the powers that be have their heads up there ssa I often wonder how they walk? late 1960's north haven CT Winchester round house building shotgun range been there from the early 30's four high house & low house for skeet and two trap you could go there and rent any winchester shotgun 25 shells & 25 skeet and kid to push the button when you yelled pull for $5.00 plus a place to eat there and good food. they made winchester shut it down to much lead in pond Ducks where moving in. also winchester used to clean all the lead out every so often and reuse it. winchester built the ponds. no matter shut it down. so winchester shut it down. drained the ponds and filled them in and sold the land GD

PS the only lead I ever found in a Duck I PUT THERE.

Johnch
11-19-2011, 04:41 PM
2 types of lead free ammo I have used

1 is a copper or copper aloy that is normaly impact formed for pistol
Rifle some is turned

#2 is a copper jacket with a compress powder inside
Some have tin , copper or a mix
A few have Tungsten in the mix

A local PD shot a bunch of the lead free ammo with a pressed Tin core in the jacket
Sure made the next batch of range lead nice

John

firefly1957
11-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I have swaged copper wires in a jacket my press does not have the strength required to fill in all the voids between wires but the process has promise.

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 09:27 PM
there are, just look at what is available to the duck hunters.
unfortunately the best would most likely be zinc, or a bismuth tin mix.
you would lose any type of malleability, and would then have to rely on cutting and meplat to do the job that lead does now.
the issues are weight, malleability,and hardness.
substitutes yes, replacements no.

BOOM BOOM
11-19-2011, 11:57 PM
HI,
I and several others on the board have posted threads on casting zinc (Zn).
Do a thread search & you will find lots of info.:Fire::Fire:

Jason30-30
11-20-2011, 04:16 PM
We will have to use either zinc or hard to get expensive linotype

Jim
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll be going down to the nearest commercial plumbing supply distributor and buying plumber's lead in 25 pound chains.

Johnch
11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
We will have to use either zinc or hard to get expensive linotype

Errrr
Linotype is normaly 84% lead

4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead.

Not the best to make lead free bullets out of [smilie=1:

John

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I can't really imagine the banning of all shooting of Lead.

Now there are a few laws about NOT hunting with lead,
and maybe if 'they' totally ban hunting with Lead nationwide,
we'll just have to target practice and shoot leagues with Lead
and hunt with leadfree projectiles.

There will always be Lead around to cast our own,
it's just if 'they' make us outlaws to hunt with them or not.
Jon

1Shirt
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I hope to be long gone before lead is banned. Save the whalers and tree huggers are killing both this country and reality!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Recluse
11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
It would be just one more idiotic law I'd completely ignore.

:coffee:

sqlbullet
11-21-2011, 03:18 PM

We need a nod in silent agreement smiley.

Swaging would be an option too. The hard part will be figuring out a material for the core.

tommygirlMT
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Depleated Uranium ???? --- Heck if they ban lead just make them sh*t their pants when they here what you decided to use instead and they will reverse the ban in short order

Mumblypeg
11-21-2011, 10:10 PM

Ditto...

nanuk
11-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Plumbers lead, some solder and one of those copper paint pens......

trk
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Tin casts well in COLD moulds. Takes forever to cool if the mould is hot.

Zinc works and is within reason for home smelting/casting albeit a bit hard.

MikeS
11-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Would a tin/zinc alloy work? I would imagine pure tin could be used, it would be expensive, but then expensive is a relative term. I know I should probably know this, but what is the BHN of pure tin?

sqlbullet
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Depleated Uranium ????

Isotope lead is slowly being replaced (the big cores anyway) with DU. I have joked with some of the radio pharmacies about taking their depleted uranium cores to play with. Melting point is a little high though (2070° F). Also, being pyrophoric makes handling it tricky, and may detract from it's value as as a hunting projectile. Unless cooking meat at the same time you kill it is desired.

lrdg
11-22-2011, 08:15 PM
How about a copper capsule filled with mercury. Good mass, not sure I would want to hunt with it but might be interesting for self defense.

Alchemist
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
How about a copper capsule filled with mercury. Good mass, not sure I would want to hunt with it but might be interesting for self defense.

:holysheep :holysheep :shock: [smilie=b:

Have you heard the rumor that mercury is highly TOXIC?

lrdg
11-22-2011, 09:49 PM
:holysheep :holysheep :shock: [smilie=b:

Have you heard the rumor that mercury is highly TOXIC?

And the excuse for lead being outlawed is?????????????????

lavenatti
11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
I like the idea of mercury. They put it in all the new light bulbs, how can the grenies complain about it being in our bullets?

Maybe mercury with an arsenic jacket material.:)

45-70 Chevroner
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I think we are all missing the whole point of banning lead. It has nothing to do with protecting the environment or the duck and geese population or the vultures. It is about gun control and making it so expensive that we as a shooting society and a free people can't afford to protect our selves and be "free" to persue our sport. We are a threat to the liberals of this country and as things seem to be going they are starting to out number us. Hopefully we can turn that around.

Frank
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
45-70 Chevroner:

I think we are all missing the whole point of banning lead. It has nothing to do with protecting the environment or the duck and geese population or the vultures. It is about gun control and making it so expensive that we as a shooting society and a free people can't afford to protect our selves and be "free" to persue our sport. We are a threat to the liberals of this country and as things seem to be going they are starting to out number us. Hopefully we can turn that around.
Well said, sir! :coffeecom

dakotashooter2
11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
isn't it funny that the anti gun/tree hugger crowd is now pushing for the use of nonlead bullets that essentially have the same cutting type petals upon expansion, that they screamed about when black talon bullets came out...................... These people don't know what they want...........

mold maker
11-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Well it's obvious they are simple minded. :not listening:
This whole thread is the reason, I have advocated HOARDING lead. At 70, I have way more than I can cast and shoot in my remaining years. On the off chance, that I live past 100 like many of me relatives have, I am still collecting all I can get. :redneck:
The worst they can do is feed and clothe me, in a warm place, with TV, and companionship, for the rest of my days. Even than I'll be around guns, just not close enough.

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
+1 Zinc is probably the home bullet makers next best thing to lead. Problem is its not that friendly to get out of your gun if it should decide to foul. According to Richard Corbin one of the big failures of the Protex checks

shdwlkr
11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Heck why don't we use spent fuel rods from all those atomic reactors they are going to build and help them find a place to bury it? Can you just see the game warden when you tell him you have spent fuel rod bullets and would he like to glow in the dark too?
Maybe we should look at ice bullets might be tough to keep them from melting but just think when they hit and melted how do you explain the hole in the animal or target nothing left to find only a puddle.

jwmprock
11-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Fortunately have tons of linotype (literally TONS, no not for sale, not now, not ever). It will pass to my outlaw kids who will continue to lay waste to the environment with lead and teach their kids to do the same.