PDA

View Full Version : Range Brass

colt 357
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Ok do you guys throw out any brass that has a small crush in the mouth of the case. I keep and use any that have a small crush less then a 1/8 th of the case mouth width.
Also do you guys keep any of the cases that have a small dink in the case I keep any that have a small dink I found the dink gets ironed out the first time they are shoot. I toss any large dents or large case mouth crushes.
The reason I ask is I have alot of range pick up to the point i am going to sell off some of it. How do you guys sort the brass when selling it. I sorted it so far as brass that I would reload for myself. I know some people like perfect brass and I don't wont to sell something someone didn't want.

btroj
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I sell my at the scrap yard. They don't care what it looks like.

marvelshooter
11-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I keep and reuse any (pistol) brass that will start into the sizing die. As long as it starts into the die it comes out fine. I mostly reload for pistol and can't offer comment on rifle brass.

williamwaco
11-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I keep and reuse any (pistol) brass that will start into the sizing die. As long as it starts into the die it comes out fine. I mostly reload for pistol and can't offer comment on rifle brass.

Ditto.

If it comes out of the resizing die and the expander die round, load it.

jcwit
11-18-2011, 07:38 PM
And further is its rifle brass it will fire form upon firing. No reason not to use it.

bob208
11-18-2011, 07:49 PM
when i first started loading .30-06 i got alot of lube dents just under the neck. every one of them smoothed right out on firing.

dale2242
11-18-2011, 08:18 PM
20K-65K PSI vs brass cases. It will iron out
If I need the brass bad enough, I straighten it well enough to get it in the FL sizer die.
I use it for practice. After it`s fired it will be straight.
I will not not use any that are nicked, split or otherwise severly damaged.
I will not sell or trade any brass that are crushed or deformed in any way, however....dale

Ickisrulz
11-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Reminds me of the case iron offered here:

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 12:35 PM
much like the needle nose pliars i use to push the dent back out.
the sizing die,expander ball, or firing will get the case round.

fatelk
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
There is quit a difference of opinion on this sort of thing. I will also use brass that is not split, cracked, or gouged as long as I can straighten it enough to fit in the sizer die.

Just for curiosity I once picked up a handful of 30-06 brass from a gravel logging road. They had been run over pretty bad; crushed necks and huge body dents. I'm sure I'll get flamed for admitting to this, but I straightened them out as best I could (not easy), annealed and loaded them light. They fire-formed out OK and I've loaded them several times since. Out of 11 pieces, I think four have split on subsequent firings due to the original severe dents, and the other 7 are still going.

I don't make a normal practice of loading brass that has been run over by log trucks nor do I recommend it. I only mention it because I've heard so many people over the years that say if it has the slightest dent it MUST go in the garbage. I have a friend who refuses to load any brass that he did not purchase new himself. He thinks that anyone who uses range brass must be borderline suicidal, as it will surely blow up your gun at any moment. Whatever.

As to the original question about SELLING range brass, I would definitely sort it with the thought that a potential buyer might be a lot pickier than I am, and keep any borderline brass for myself.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
sell them with honest discriptions, you can't go wrong.
posting a photo is a good idea too.

Many times If there are a few questionable cases,
I just throw them in <for free> on a deal.
Jon

BOOM BOOM
11-20-2011, 05:10 AM
HI,
Being an old wildcatter( shooter of a carterage not made by factories) , I shoot a lot of fire-formed brass. In fact most of my brass is range brass. I know that small dents in pistol/rifle brass are not a problem as they shoot out.:Fire::Fire:

southpaw
11-20-2011, 07:57 AM
sell them with honest discriptions, you can't go wrong.
posting a photo is a good idea too.

Many times If there are a few questionable cases,
I just throw them in <for free> on a deal.
Jon

Ditto. Be honest upfront and there will be no room for someone to complain.

Also you could sort out the dented ones and keep them for your own use and sell the good looking ones.

Jerry Jr.

Kraschenbirn
11-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I freely admit to being something of a "brass rat"...I pick up anything and everything. When sorting, for the most part, I don't bother with "onesy-twosy" quantities; those go straight to the recycle bucket. Brass that I can use for myself...7.62x51/.308, .30-06, .45 ACP, .38/.357...gets cleaned, inspected, and (rifle rounds) trimmed before going into my reloading bins...all the rest goes to the recycler with the proceeds used to buy WWs/scrap lead (from the same recycler).

Bill

Rokkit Syinss
11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I use slightly dented brass as well. As long as it goes in the die and comes out it's good enough. As mentioned just be up front on condition.

Jason30-30
11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Ditto On The Needle Nose Pliers

DLCTEX
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm happy for some to be so anal about brass. Makes it better for me.

azrednek
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Having loaded for several years for two US GI 45's. A good portion of the expended brass was dinged or dented. Like the previous poster. If my brass came out round with no splits I loaded it. Occasionally I'd have to use the needle nose or the expander die to get the brass round enough to coax it in the resizing die.

If I was shooting match or bullseye it might be a different story. Shooting a hodge-podge of commercial and govt headstamps and not separating any of it. I never had a problem I can recall ironing out dinged brass.

frkelly74
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
If I come across a lot of nice brass quite often I will offer them for sale or trade even in a caliber I use. The scratch and dents I will use if at all possible for my own shooting. Until they are unusable, then it's the scrap bucket. Quite a bit of my equipment has been purchased with brass money.

1Shirt
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Depends on what the case is! If it is a case that I shoot and have few of, I will take the time for small/minor dings/dents etc. If they are dinged and dented and I have more than an adequate supply of what I shoot, they go in a bucket which is eventually headed for the scrap yard for sale.
1Shirt!:coffee:

ku4hx
11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
If the small dents and dings on straight-walled pistol brass are removed upon resizing, they're keepers. Real damage (tears, cracks and etc.) results in a pitch to the scrap bucket.

I was born a scrounger and after 40+ years of hand loading I still am. Picking up found brass feels the same to me as picking up money. Maybe even better.

redhead
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
If i can get it open enough to resize i use it. I do not sell brass and I have tens of thousands of pieces laying around. I have given some away to other reloaders but only in managable quantites. Load and shoot. What calibers that I do not load today I may load later. I have had to purchase only 280 pieces of 45/70 brass and that was because I could not pick it up off the ground (too rare at my range).

caseyboy
11-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I pick it all up. If I need it I keep it and if not, it goes to the recycler. The other day I got $65 for half a five gallon bucket. This gets "reinvested" into primers and powder.