PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Data

ralph029
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey folks,
First let me say, I did try searching first...
I've been away from casting for a while and have decided to start up again. I would like to use a couple different Saeco molds. My concern is every boolit produces different results. Is anyone aware of a place where Saeco bullets are listed in reloading data? Thanks for the help.

williamwaco
11-18-2011, 06:35 PM
See Lyman Cast bullet Handbook No.4

rintinglen
11-19-2011, 03:17 AM
That is a problem.
Lyman does list loads for a few SAECO molds, but I have not found a dedicated source of tested data for SAECO's products. What I usually do is use the starting load for a similar RCBS or Lyman boolit and experiment from there. I have a 190 grain SAECO 301, I used Lyman data for the 311-644 to get started and a chronograph to check velocities. I also have a SAECO 45 mold that is a dead ringer for Lyman's 452-630 (which, in turn seems to be the old H&G 68), so I use that data without qualm. More problematic is a 32 caliber RN mold that I bought. It doesn't match anything. It has more bearing surface than a 311-008, but weighs 17 grains less I use Lyman's data for the heavier gas checked 311-316 and stay well under the top loads. It generally is safe to use loads for slightly heavier bullets, or for jacketed bullets of the same weight PROVIDED THAT YOU START AT THE STARTING LOADS and check carefully as you go.

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 12:56 PM
yep look for a similar boolit with similar bearing length.
i have a lyman mold for my 41 that i just couldn't even find anything close to it in design.
it's a wadcutter, i just had to go with what was used in the 44 and 38 and see just what was going on there.
i have a load now but it took a bit.

ralph029
11-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think that Fining the closest match upwards and using their starting points is a sound idea. I was just hoping that (100% being lazy) the data was already together. I do know that loads in the books have gotten progressively safer over the last 40 years as well. I do not own a chronograph. I might just have to invest in one. Am I missing something or does it seem that Saeco (Redding) doesn't want to make it easy to use their molds? I did submit this question to Redding and was told to "research online sources". Like I said, I have been away from casting for a while so are the Saeco dies worth the effort? I have always been a Lyman guy. The particular molds I'm looking at just seem to be more suited to what I'm looking for, 221, 265, and 431.

ralph029
11-19-2011, 01:44 PM
yep look for a similar boolit with similar bearing length.

I have never done this. Is there an easy way to do this without actually measuring a physical boolit? Is there a listing for bearing lengths? Sorry if this is an elementary question.

casterofboolits
11-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I look for similar weight and configuration boolits to develop my loads and peruse several loading manuals.

I have several out of production Lyman four cavity moulds for 9mm/38 Super that never made it into Lyman manuals. IE, 09-130-TCPB and 09-135-TCPB. :shock:

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 09:46 PM
go by the pictures in the manuals, i have both the lyman and the rcbs manuals.
if your's weighs 240 grs you should be able to find something similar.
go with a lower load and work up till you find happiness.