PDA

View Full Version : Question help please

LGH
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I recently bought some Precision cast bullets, some 200 grain LSWC, and some 230 grain LRN. I bought these to shoot through my .45 1911, to see how they perform and if casting is what I want to do. The LSWC's no problem, but my question is about the LRN. To get them to go into battery, I have to set the oal at 1.239, does this seem right? My manual tested at 1.270, so I'm set .031 deeper.

Have any of you tried these bullets? I went to their site and it is no longer there. I did make some up at speers min load for 231, and they shot fine, so should I just work up as usual?

I'm guilty of having just the speer specific manual so please forgive me, but I am by no means uneducated about reloading. I reference all available info. All responses welcome and appreciated. JGH :drinks:

454PB
11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular LRN, but it's not unusual to have to seat a round nose deeper for proper chambering. Just adjust your load downwards to compensate for the case volume reduction.

LGH
11-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Thats what I was doing but I just wanted to get some varification. Thanks454PB The ones I downloaded shot fantastic.

runfiverun
11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
welcome to cast bullets.-101
molds are a bit different, and you need to adjust things to fit your particular needs.
tinkering a bit with things is a way of life when you make your own or buy from a casting company.
jaxketed thingies come out the same pretty much every time and have a standardized close enough to them.
we do too. but your eaa and my thompson are really not gonna like the same thngs.
they'll interchange be closish and all that but probably not the best for both.

LGH
11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
welcome to cast bullets.-101
molds are a bit different, and you need to adjust things to fit your particular needs.
tinkering a bit with things is a way of life when you make your own or buy from a casting company.
jaxketed thingies come out the same pretty much every time and have a standardized close enough to them.
we do too. but your eaa and my thompson are really not gonna like the same thngs.
they'll interchange be closish and all that but probably not the best for both.

Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with what your saying. The ogive is so high on these, and first time loading cast just wanted to make sure my tinkering was in the right direction. I'm really liking the feel of these cast boolits though, and can see myself becoming a leadhead soon.

fredj338
11-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Regardless of what your manual tells you, OAL IS ALWAYS bullet & gun specific, always. You just need to seat short enough to allow functioning. If you are not loading at the top end, now owrries, if you are, then back off 0.1-0.2gr to accomidate the deeper seating.