PDA

View Full Version : Looking for load data

44wcf
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I am trying to find load data for 38spl and 45 using IMR Hi Skor 700X powder.
All I can find is shot shell data, but it also says this is an excellent pistol target powder for such cartridges as the 38.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks 44wcf

mpmarty
11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
In my 45acp I find 700X is a good powder for 200gr cast using 5.0 gr.

Iron Mike Golf
11-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Check either Hodgdon's manual or web site. There's a number of loads published.

44wcf
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Check either Hodgdon's manual or web site. There's a number of loads published.

Thanks. For some dumb reason I was lookig in the wrong place.

MtGun44
11-18-2011, 03:49 PM
You DO have several good loading manuals in hard copy on your loading bench, right?

If not - PLEASE get them and READ them. This is not rocket science but you can
hurt your gun and yourself.

I am always a bit worried at folks seeking load data here - they should have a personal
library of load data. Now, if it is a new/odd/rare powder or seeking a personal favorite load, that is
just fine, but just asking for load data because you don't have a manual gives me the
willies.

Bill

LGH
11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I've used alot of 700x and love it in my .45 behind a 230 grain FMJ or I just tried some behind a 200 grain LSWC and was pleased as well But as MtGun44 states I hope you have a manual.

44wcf
11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
You DO have several good loading manuals in hard copy on your loading bench, right?

If not - PLEASE get them and READ them. This is not rocket science but you can
hurt your gun and yourself.

I am always a bit worried at folks seeking load data here - they should have a personal
library of load data. Now, if it is a new/odd/rare powder or seeking a personal favorite load, that is
just fine, but just asking for load data because you don't have a manual gives me the
willies.

Bill

If you would have read my reply you would have noted I said I was looking
in the wrong place(manuals) none of the 4 Lyman manuals I looked i showed data for that powder and cartridge I wanted. I failed to look in the Hodgdon manual.
Sorry if I got your blood pressure up.

tonyjones
11-19-2011, 12:50 AM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook No. 2 lists loads for 700X in both .38 Spl. and .45 ACP.

Tony

leadman
11-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I look in my manuals, Handloader magazine, etc., then cross-referencew ith the powder company or bullet manufacturer as a final check.
I have found a couple of mistakes in printed material by doing this.

Maybe the OP just had a brain fart, not uncommon, and at least he is aware enough to ask, rather than hurt a gun, someone else, or himself..
Glad he asked.

MikeS
11-19-2011, 01:52 AM
While on the topic of 700X, I've noticed that in my manuals that in many loadings it's close to the same quantity of Bullseye, and that both powders have close to the same burn rate. So I'm curious if anyone here has used both powders in the same cartridges, and if so how they compared? I have used 700X, but never BE, and was wondering, if I have one, do I need to get the other, or are they close enough in characteristics that it would be redundant? Or to put it another way, is there anything BE can do that 700X can't? And the other way too?

MtGun44
11-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Sorry if I offended, but we do get a lot of folks that do not have a loading manual at
all and we try first make sure that people are getting good advice on being safe.

This site used to be all experienced reloaders, and today there are a substantial number
that are very new to reloading, so sometimes I might be intentionally erring on the side
of safety. My BP is fine, just trying keep folks safe, sorry about the miscommunication.

Bill

felix
11-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Consider them to be same speed for "target" loads when comparing the two powders for a particular starting load range. 700X is very SPIKY with hotter loads. The kernel shapes of each are significantly different and account for their performance differences. ... felix

303Guy
11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
One cannot be too cautious and there is nothing wrong with being anal about safety.

Ummm ..... I don't exactly have a library of loading manuals. [smilie=1:

One does need to be careful about internet data - as official as it might sound. I found 'factory' load data for the 6.5x57 Rimmed for a combination gun which is just higher than SAAMI spec (or whatever they have in Europe). It was essentially bolt action data which could be too high for the original guns designed for that cartridge.

(Just supporting MtGun44's initial concern.)