PDA

View Full Version : Bass Ackward: Quickload?

BLTsandwedge1
06-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Bass,

Noticed your input on the trailing .338 thread. You speak well of a software pack called Quickload. Who? Where? What site? I've heard of it in passing but dismissed it as a reloading manual on CD. I gather it does more than that. Will it export to Excel? Does it have correlation capability (i.e. Pierson's product-moment correlation coefficient) and further SD tests? Those are in Excel if you know how to arrange the data and write the formulas but it's a pain in the ass with raw data.

You live in Washington, PA! Small, small world. There used to be a hotel in town that my father ran (can't remember the name of the hotel- the William Foor?); my sister and a brother were born in Washington, PA. I'm from Harrisburg/Lancaster; left there for Seattle, San Francisco and now to the Central Coast of KA- and am in the hotel business as well.

You live in a great part of the world!

Regards..........

Bass Ackward
06-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Bass,

Noticed your input on the trailing .338 thread. You speak well of a software pack called Quickload. Who? Where? What site? I've heard of it in passing but dismissed it as a reloading manual on CD. I gather it does more than that. Will it export to Excel? Does it have correlation capability (i.e. Pierson's product-moment correlation coefficient) and further SD tests?

BLT,

http://www.neconos.com/

Site has a program that you can practice on. Great when you learn how to take advantage of it. Much, much, much more than a loading manual. It's a loading manual where you set the pressure limits which is important for different lead hardness levels. Once you adjust the "Shot Start Pressure" factor to match one chronographed load, you never need a chrono again. So no wasted rounds. Once you learn what criteria works in your rifle, you can select loads without even firing them. So if the computer picks 10 loads at 34,000 psi, you simply fire those loads and pick the most accurate in your rifle. Save powder. Saves time too. And let's you match powders to any hardness / pressure level. That's the value of Quickload.

Once you have the load data, you can import it into the trajectory program. Not only does it provide trajectory, but can and will calculate ballistic coefficient as well. Great for lead! Downside? $150. But I saved that in well less than a year.

BLTsandwedge1
06-18-2005, 07:09 PM
BLT,

http://www.neconos.com/

Site has a program that you can practice on. Great when you learn how to take advantage of it. Much, much, much more than a loading manual. It's a loading manual where you set the pressure limits which is important for different lead hardness levels. Once you adjust the "Shot Start Pressure" factor to match one chronographed load, you never need a chrono again. So no wasted rounds. Once you learn what criteria works in your rifle, you can select loads without even firing them. So if the computer picks 10 loads at 34,000 psi, you simply fire those loads and pick the most accurate in your rifle. Save powder. Saves time too. And let's you match powders to any hardness / pressure level. That's the value of Quickload.

Once you have the load data, you can import it into the trajectory program. Not only does it provide trajectory, but can and will calculate ballistic coefficient as well. Great for lead! Downside? $150. But I saved that in well less than a year.

Very much appreciated Bass....I can't buy it right now but next month I'll order a copy. Software that is predicated on internal pressure with all the variables mixed in? $150 is cheap!

floodgate
06-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Bass: Do they have a group computer too? That would save a TON of wheelweights and lots of powder / primer $$$. floodgate

Bass Ackward
06-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Bass: Do they have a group computer too? That would save a TON of wheelweights and lots of powder / primer $$$. floodgate

Yes. That is exactly what I am telling you I am doing with the patterns I see from my rifles. All I need is one load example from one gun to show me what my particular rifle likes as far as barrel time or pressure. Then I can either play around myself or ask it to search for other powders producing those same variables. Those options often produce accuracy in the same class as the origional load. That is how it saves the time and money. I noticed the patterns, when I recorded loads that I had already developed.

Let's take Bruce's data that I just ran for the 338. I ran several powders, especially the slow ones, trying to see peek pressure occur the farthest down the barrel at that pressure level. The clear winner was IMR 4831 at a full 3.2" of bullet travel before 32,000 was reached. Obviously when you are trying for a high velocity load, you want to start the bullet off as easy as possible. Everything else before (here is the strange part) and ..... after that immediately dropped back to 2". The farther I got away from 4831, the more the drop off was. Both directions. What this means is that all other powders would reach maximum pressure sooner before the bullet overcomes inertia and thus have a LOWER (accurate) velocity ceiling. Now that doesn't mean 4831 will be "the most accurate" powder. But it will be the best at 28 - 32,000 psi for 2000 - 2300 fps dictated by a 12 BHN limit in a 338. I know of no other product or way to gain this knowledge or get this advantage.

Then I ran the 3031. Strangely enough, distance jumped back up to 2.9" under the same conditions. But the operating range (sweet spot) is very narrow at this pressure level. What I intrepret from my experience is that the 3031 is going to be fussy in the 338. It is going to be dependent on seating depth, or primer, or bullet shape or design, or maybe temperature. And his data gained from his rifle may not translate to someone elses. The 4831 on the other hand has a wide operating range and there is total flexibility.

The best example I can give here, was with my 35 Whelen. The winning, computer predicted powder across all bullet weights with a 32,000 psi ceiling, is RL15. I had Dan make my first mold as a 210 grainer for high velocity. That bullet shot under an inch with 53 grains at almost 2400 fps. Then my throat angle changed because I was fire lapping and the bullet wasn't long enough. So I designed a 220. Computer predicted 52.5 grains. It was actually 52 for 2320 fps at just over 1/2". My throat changed again. So I jumped to a 250 I designed. Computer predicted (all by pressure) 46 to 47 grains. It turned out to be 47 1/2 for 2150 fps. Again it would hold 3/4". Then I designed a 265 grain, semiwadcutter that was totally radical comparred to the others for cold weather use. Computer predicted 45 - 46 1/2 grains and it turned out to be 45 for 2050 fps. Now of course I was a non believer and tried outside of the ranges both above and below. And I tried other powders. And I wasted my money and time.