PDA

View Full Version : Butt Ugly

IcerUSA
02-17-2007, 11:42 PM
This is my first attempt at mold makeing :oops: [smilie=b: . Think I need to reshape my cutter a little ROFL. Well anyway, they are kind of oval, running from about .359 to .370ish. They also weigh in at about 147grains .

Sized a few and about wiped the lube grooves off for the 9mm, bummer.
I have 72 that are ugly but if someone wants to play with them give me a PM and I'll send them to ya :drinks::cbpour: :holysheep

Keith

Mk42gunner
02-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey everybody has to learn somewhere. They at least look like boolits not sinkers.
Don't get dicouraged.

Robert

RANGER RICK
02-18-2007, 12:16 AM
One good thing about butt ugly bullets is you can remelt them and do them over .
Keep the silver stream going !!!!!

RR

GP100man
02-18-2007, 12:21 AM
icer
they look like some cowboy boolits ???
price on mold???
i have a gp100 that has 3585 throats.
GP

leftiye
02-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Heh, Heh. You didn't expect the first one to be perfect or somethin, did ya? How in blazes could you know everything before you tried? They don't look so bad to me. Do you have an idea why they turned out oval?

I'm going to make lube grooved boolit molds someday, I'm fiddling with the design for the vise to close the halves on the cherry at present. Come back and tell us how you made your cutter (cherry) when you've got a minute or so.

44man
02-18-2007, 09:18 AM
If that mold was cherry cut, the blocks were most likely moving as the cutting edges hit the parting line. Everything has to be super ridgid and the only things you want to move are the vise jaws, in and out, no side play. Eack block half has to be clamped tight in the vise jaw.
I lock everything down on my lathe-mill tight.
Lathe boring will give you the same problem if something is moving, very hard to see a few thousandths motion. Even loading the chuck with off center weight will make it wobble enough to cause an oval cut.
Go back and look at your setup.

IcerUSA
02-18-2007, 12:55 PM
leftiye, soon as I can get a pic of the cutter I'll post it, left it at work this week end :) .

44man, I cut the mold on a CNC Mill, the aluminum block was in a 12,000 lb hydrolic(sp) vice, don't think it moved hehe . I think the cutter dosn't have enough relief on it and it rubbed, leaveing the hole a little oblong, Oh Well hehe , back to the drawing board :mrgreen:

I didn't think it was to bad for the first try, I'll rework the cutter and do a little more testing as time permits, got to do this when I don't have a job on the mills bed, OH! by the way, I'm a Die Maker and run a mill for makeing car body dies :) not a little machine :) . I can put castings that weigh upto 20,000 lbs on my mill, don't want to drop one of those on your toe, OUCH! hehe

I'll get that cutter right , just need to do a little work on it , still playing with the design of it and how I need to cut the hole to get a good nose profile , nose is a little flater than what I wanted (OINK-OINK) hehe

OK , enough wind for now ROFL Will report back in a couple days tho, Thanks for all the input , good , bad, or indifferant, it all helps :)

Keith

Dale53
02-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Icer USA;
Just remember, "The longest journey starts with but a single step". You'll get there.

Dale53

44man
02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
A cutter that vibrates is as bad as the chuck that vibrates so you are on the right track. Let us know how it goes.

IcerUSA
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Here is a sample drawing of what the tool looks like, mines not as good as the drawing of course LOL

it is a 1 flute design and should work in a mill or a lathe with a boreing head, I did mine by circle interpolation on a CNC Mill

Buckshot
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
................I've heard it said and I believe it, that even a failure teaches and is a worthwhile event. I just wish some of'em weren't so gosh danged expensive, painfull, or embarassing :-)

................Buckshot

IcerUSA
02-20-2007, 03:26 AM
I hear ya Buckshot :)

leftiye, here are a couple pics of that cutter I made, cleaned it up a little and reworked the back clearance and nose a little. I think it will cut better next time :)
Couple are a little blurred but my camera sucks he he

IcerUSA
02-20-2007, 03:31 AM
icer
they look like some cowboy boolits ???
price on mold???
i have a gp100 that has 3585 throats.
GP

This is a mold that I'm working on from scratch, ran a couple thru my sizer die for 9mm and almost lost all the lube grooves, just a tad big, ooop's[smilie=l:

44man
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I have had some problems with cherries that I didn't get sharp enough. It is very hard when the final sharpening and relieving has to be done by hand with files and a stone.
My biggest problem is figuring out how big to cut a cherry for each caliber and it has been hit and miss. The only way to know what comes out is to finish a mold and cast with it.

IcerUSA
02-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Thats true 44man, but it would have been better if it had been a little under size, not as much work to open it up a tad to get the diameter right than to be too big.

44man
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I can see that would work great on lathe boring because you can leave everything set up, remove the blocks and cast a few. Then with care it can be put back and another light cut taken. A bad cherry means starting from the beginning again. It takes me a day or longer to make a cherry.
Someday I am going to buy some more dial indicator setups and try lathe boring. I only have a Smithy lathe-mill. I can't depend on the dials at all and have to sneak up close on dimensions, then polish to final. Every part is full of backlash too even though I have worked on them. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had something accurate.