PDA

View Full Version : Newbie making 35 Rem. boolits

GrizzLeeBear
02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey everyone, I finally took my first steps into bullet casting today! :drinks: After spending a few months collecting everything, I cast some boolits for my new (to me) Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. RCBS 35-200-FN. Been reading everything I can here and what a great resource you have here! Wheel weights with some lead free solder added worked pretty good. Had probably 30 - 40% rejects, mostly the first ones I cast until the mold got heated up. Ended up with about 85 good looking bullets. I'm sure I will get faster and have less rejects as I get the hang of it. They came out of the mold at just over .358. Slugged my Marlin at just over .358 at the chamber and .357-.358 at the muzzle. Gas checked and lubed with Javelina with my Lyman 450 with the .358 die and there was little to no sizing. So hopefully they will shoot good.

jhalcott
02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
CONGRATS ,GRIZ If I could do it any one can! Yes you will get better and faster.Just remember SAFETY FIRST! now I'll have to worry about YOU beating me out of those molds on e bay!

Gun Junkie
02-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Grizzleebear,

I just got a 'new to me' 35 Remington a few weeks ago myself, and it too is a Marlin. I had about decided on the 200 gr FN from RCBS as the right bullet for me.

I will be very interested in your progress as I hope to make a successful cast boolit gun out of my Marlin as well. I have cast off and on for awhile and this is a great forum to speed your learning curve along.

Good deal on the 85 good ones. My thoughts are that the 35 ought to be a great cast gun. All the uninvited advise I can give is to record everything you can think of when testing, even those things that you don't think are important. A ways down the road you may be glad for the extra things you wrote down.

I don't have my mold yet or even a set of dies and only 4 loaded rounds.....so I'm somewhat behind you on the 35. Most of those problems will be solved this next week.

Anyway best of luck with your 35 Remington and I look forward to hearing of your success with your cast boolits!

Gun Junkie

trk
02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I just got a 336 in .35 Rem (10 years or so ago) and just now got it into the que. The RCBS 35-200 works well. Feeds well. Started with the standard 10gr Unique and starting to wring it out. Need to retap the back two threaded holes from 6-32 to 8-32 so I can put the Williams sight on it. Will also be trying with something heavier.

Marlin Junky
02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
...Will also be trying with something heavier.

I'm currently working with SAECO 352 which looks real good over 38 to 39 grains of AA2520.

MJ

beagle
02-18-2007, 11:52 PM
I have an old (1951) 336 . The .35 Rem' with the 35-100-FN is one of the more accurate bullets I've used.

The.35's a winner with cast and one of the better shooting little cast guns around./beagle