PDA

View Full Version : Electrochemical bore cleaner

kokomokid
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Anyone make and use a homemade electrochemical bore cleaner such as the one shown in American Gunsmith, Aug 1998? It looks as simple as outers III but dont know how well it would work on lead? THANKS LB

atr
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
made one and do use it....works great,,,
dont know what the one on american gunsmith looks like but the principle is straight forward and simple.
a couple of D batteries, a flashlight bulb, positive and negative leads and a straight steel rod
just make sure the rod is not touching the bore....add some ammonia,,,,be careful NOT to spill the ammonia on the stock or surface metal......and ALWAYS, after you have finished the cleaning process, run a patch with light machine oil down the bore; you dont want any ammonia traces left in the bore

swheeler
11-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I made one and use it often, works great. The solution I use is 1 part vinegar, 1 part household ammonia-3% and 2 parts distilled water.

kokomokid
11-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I have been ask about the article I posted about http://www.geocities.com/kemays/foulout.htm
Some have used pure household ammonia but that sounds pretty aggresive to me? Not worried about copper just need the lead out.

swheeler
11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
The link does not work for me, says website no longer available.

Calamity Jake
11-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I have been ask about the article I posted about http://www.geocities.com/kemays/foulout.htm
Some have used pure household ammonia but that sounds pretty aggresive to me? Not worried about copper just need the lead out.

The lead will not stick to the rod, the only thing the chemicals do in the case of lead is get under the lead so a tight brush on a cleaning rod can remove it.

Copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old bore brush does the same thing without the chemicals.

If you shoot the mil surp rifles then an electro chemical bore cleaner is good to have around.

Maximumbob54
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
The lead will not stick to the rod, the only thing the chemicals do in the case of lead is get under the lead so a tight brush on a cleaning rod can remove it.

Copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old bore brush does the same thing without the chemicals.

If you shoot the mil surp rifles then an electro chemical bore cleaner is good to have around.

So it's really too bad the ATF just banned copper Chore Boy.

omgb
11-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I have an Outers II. Using the new chemicals it works pretty fast. I made a bore cleaner once using plans off the internet. A flashlight, stainless rod, clips, o rings and a water/amonia mix. it worked pretty good too.

fiatmom
11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Could I use a homemade cleaner with Oters solutions?

omgb
11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure. I don't theink there would a problem such as a negative reaction, I just don't diluting the Outer's solutions wouold have an advantage

kokomokid
11-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Got my homemade rig going last night with Outers lead out and tried it on a .22 bbl about 100 years old. Had to clean the stainless rod 4 times and bbl 1 time in 2 hours. Took 12 tight flannel patches to get all the rust colored gunk out of the bbl. Dont know what it was , but I used a spent hull with teflon tape for a plug and it was somewhat ate up. It did do some foaming but not bad.

omgb
11-24-2011, 03:58 PM
When I used an electronic cleaner the first time several years ago, it was on an old 03A3 that had been bubbaed years before. I was amazed at the level of crud that came out. Layer upon layer. In the end, I actually had some deep grooves and sharp lands. This is the way to go for sure.

PatMarlin
12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm still on a mining dig project with my outers III and my M1891. It's gone from a layer of lead to copper, back to lead and I think I'm on to another layer of copper. Unbelievable. This is after choreboy, hoppes, and sweets by hand.

The bore is getting smoother and smoother and the shiny rifling is looking good. I would not have been able to clean this rifle without the Outers.