PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into casting

vmthtr
11-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Dad and I bought 45 ACP's, got brass, and a Dillon to load on. Tried loading on my RCBS Single, but that dog ain't working. Now I need a mold or some cast bullets. Never used a "real" sizer, just a Lee push through for seating GC and sizing for 30, 44, 38, 9mm, and 45. How does say a Redding/Saeco sizer work and lube the bullet? Do you have to trun the wrench while the bullet is in the die or is the lube always under pressure?

Mike

alfloyd
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
The lube is always under SOME pressure, but you still need to turn the handle for each boolit while it is all the way down in the die. At least that is what happens in my RCBS lube/sizer. The Star sizer is a different type. It has a pump built into the system that pumps lube into the boolit when the handle is pulled all the way down.
The Redding/Saeco uses dies and top punches that are different than any other sizer. The Lyman and RCBS can use each others dies. The Star uses a different die also, but you can send them thru nose first.

Hope this helps.
Lafaun

captaint
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM
vmthtr - Do think about getting the Star. Nose first sizing, no top punches - ever. I don't regret buying the Star first time out. They're all good units, though. enjoy Mike

sqlbullet
11-17-2011, 12:34 PM
In my Lachmiller I give it a twist of one-click about every 5 boolits. Wish I could afford a Star. Seems like the way to go.

runfiverun
11-17-2011, 02:39 PM
i used a lyman for about one hour.
went half with my dad on the first star and added onto it as i went.
if you are gonna keep that dillon fed you will want to look into speed [with quality]
i use 4 cavity lymans for the pistol calibers and a magma 40 lb pot.
you can do it with a lee 20 lb pot and 6 cavity's too.
the way we worked it was i cast,pop lubed, and we both had a 550 set up, which worked well as we both bought conversions and shared them.

keep the rcbs set up you'll go back to it for other stuff.

1Shirt
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Like they said to Cotter, "Welcome Back!"
1Shirt!