PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Hornady bullet puller to work in your lathe

Swagerman
02-17-2007, 09:20 PM
This is certainly no biggie as a project, but have converted my Hornady bullet puller to work in my mini-lathe, to hold lead cast bullets for turning lube rings where needed, that is, to turn lube rings at a different area or make the existing one larger.

It could also be adapted to making hollow bases, or hollow pointed bullets while turning said bullet in the lathe.

Sure, there are better ways to make HP or HB bullets, have a mould that does it, or use swaging equipment like I have.

But I offer the Hornady converted BP to accept a threaded bolt of 5/8X18 tpi for which I made on my little lathe.

Easy to make a bullet holder for a lathe, and once mounted in the chuck you can open and close the bullet puller's clamping effect by merely twisting the die body back and forth...makes for quick insert and release.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P6160027Hornadybulletholder609X.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P6180030HornadyBP650X.jpg

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Swagerman, pretty neat rig, like a mini collet holder for the lathe, I'll keep that rig in mind, gotta be something I can use it for!!!!
Thanks, Nick:drinks: :drinks:

Swagerman
02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I forgot to mention when making HP or HB bullets with it, you could use the approapriate size drill bit mounted in your lathe's tail stock.

Of course when drilling out a wee bit of lead will lighten your bullet a tad.

Jim :drinks:

Catshooter
02-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Jim,

Got a pic of it in your little lathe? And what kind of little lathe ya got?

Cat

Swagerman
02-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I'll take a picture of the Harbor Freight 7X10 metal lathe with the doodad in it tomorrow.

I've had this little metal turning lathe for about 8 or 9 years, the electric motor is getting kind of tired by some of the sounds its making, very jerky at lowest speed.

I shudder at the prospects of taking it apart to get at the motor if it goes belly up on me.

My metal lathe skills are self taught over a long period of time, and the list of things I do with it are a bit short. Would have been swell if someone in this northwoods area was a master machinest and could show me the ropes.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P5250006mini-lathe.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P6180031HornadyBPholderformini-lath.jpg

C A Plater
02-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Here is a link for parts and accessories for the mini-lathes: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php
They are good folks to deal with.

NVWalt
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Swagerman,
Before you get into your motor on that lathe replace the brushes. If that doesn't help then you don't have much choice but to perform surgery on it lol ...Walt

Swagerman
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, C A Plater, I've done some business with The Little Machine Shop. Bought a nice adustable tool post, and three size tool knurler...plus other odds and ends.

I see the electric motor is $119.95 before shipping...zowie. If it does go out on me, will try an Upper Penensula Michigan electric motor works to rebuild this Chinese one. If they are still in business, been about 10 years since I was last up that way near Bessimer.

One thing about making this threaded 5/8 X 18 tpi lathe bolt, make sure you get a snug thread fit so you don't have any concintric wobble when it turns.

Jim

uscra112
02-25-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm assuming your lathe has a DC motor, and aside from the bearings, the only thing in it that's likely to be bad is the commutator and brushes. The commutator you can rework right on the lathe. (You'll have to turn it by hand, but it won't be hard.) Put the armature between centers, and smooth up the commutator with a VERY sharp tool that has about 2 or 3 degrees positive rake and a small (say .015") nose radius. Polish with crocus cloth or 1200 grit wet-or-dry paper. Next, you will need to clean out the spaces between the segments. For this, grind up a little scraper tool, (it will look like a very thin cutoff tool). Set it in the toolpost and run the carriage back and forth to undercut the mica between the segments. Undercut by at least .010". This is fussy, and you have old eyes like mine you will need your strongest pair of reading glasses. I've done this to restore several antique BMW generator armatures, which are unobtainable now. Takes some time and careful manipulation of the headstock, but it will save you that 120 bucks, and be very satisfying at the same time.

Finding new brushes may seem hard, but some of the REAL hardware stores around here actually do have some, in those little cardboard drawers with all the oddball nuts and screws and pins and stuff. Or the lathe supplier may be able to sell you some. Every gasoline engine starter motor and alternator ever made has brushes. Also look into McMaster-Carr and W.W.Grainger. They have some - you can order online and there is no minimum. All you need is brushes that have more or less the right wire coming out, and are big enough that you can trim them down with a file to fit your brush holders.

Hairtrigger
02-25-2007, 09:03 AM
I need a mini lathe!

Swagerman
02-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks, uscra112. But I can't see very good these days. Such intricate work is beyond me at 71 years.

But do appreciate the amount of excellent information you gave me on it.

Jim :)

floodgate
02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Hairtrigger:

"I need a mini lathe!"

Check MicroMark <www.micromark.com>; they have a 7" x 14" (the longest of these little lathes) with inch dials, lots of acessories, and a matching little mill. Decent price, too. You can get them cheaper at Harbor Freight, but....

floodgate

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Hairtrigger.................Be very very careful, you think rifles,peestolas, molds etc. are habit forming (disease?), lathes are worse!!!!!! Always something else you "need" for the "baby", eat money like a bad wife. I'm up to 3 now, 6", 12",
16" always looking for some tool or part. Like to have a mill but I'm afraid to buy one!!!!
Buy it you'll like it!:mrgreen:
Nick

leftiye
02-26-2007, 04:25 AM
So, Packrat, What you need is a milling attachment for your lathe!

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
leftiye: I have two, one for 12", one for 16", about 7 chucks, 5 dial idicators, steadyrests, drawers full of tooling, looking at quickchange tooling now!!! see what I meen?????????[smilie=1:
Nick:mrgreen:

leftiye
02-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Gawd! I've got a full size Leblond, and a Bridgeport, and I aint got THAT problem THAT bad!

gzig5
02-27-2007, 12:31 AM
I've got the same problem, but with mills. A big and a small vertical and a horizontal with a vertical head on the overarm. At least I don't have to change setups very often....

Sadly, only one lathe. But I'm still looking to correct that deficiency!!
Greg

Antietamgw
02-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I recently picked up an old Van Norman Duplex mill - horizontal or vertical. Someone mounted a separate Rusnok vertical head on it. Pretty sweet. I can handle the light delicate stuff with the Rusnok head, mill a tapered oct. barrel or rebuild a manure spreader axle all on one machine. Downside? It's a BIG son of a gun and uses Hardinge and B&S toolholders. Price was right though.