PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Handi Rifle Who has one?

cabezaverde
02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I have been thinking about sending my HR target rifle in to get a 30-30 barrel fitted and then having it rechambered to 30-40 Krag.

Does anyone have any input on how the 30-30 Handi barrels shoot?

hpdrifter
02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
mine shoots pretty good. never benched it, but it'll shoot 1.5-2" over a tree limb whill standing at ~60 yards

Tom W.
02-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Mine is an older one, but it shoots anything that I put in it quite well.

PPpastordon
02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Never benched mine, either. However, it seems to be a good shooter. Need to get to somewhere a bench is available and try it. It, also, is an older model that I have had for years. Was simply more interested in my .45-70 than the .30-30. However, now with our coyote population ever increasing, I think it needs to be benched to make sure it is up to the task.

"Rolling soda cans and bustin' dirt clods;
sure ain't much of a test for live game shootin'!"

KB291
02-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Mine will group 1" to 11/4" at 100 yds from bench. Load is 32 gr H335, Win primer, Win case, 150 gr Sierra SPBT. Chronograph at 2175 fps. Still working on cast loads but they are promising.

Uncle R.
02-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Mine's not a Handi-Rifle but an older Topper model 158 with .30-30 and 20 gauge barrels. I bought it many years ago to use as a loaner for those people who don't deserve to get their hands on one of my good guns.
:-D
The .30-30 barrel shoots very well. I've never had anything but a 2-1/2X scope on it and with that glass it'll shoot around 2MOA with the dreaded j-words. Can you believe I've never put a real boolit through it?
:roll:
So many projects - so little time...
Uncle R.

Char-Gar
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Not much to be gained in rechambering to 30-40 as most 30-30s comes with a 1-12 tsist barrel. This limits bullet length/weight to about 190 grains. The 30-30 has enough powder capacity to push bullets this weight to cast bullet limits.

The 30-40 is a great round, but the extra powder capacity doesn't help until you get to the heavier bullets above 200 grains. It takes a 1-10 twist barrel to do right by these longer bullets.

cabezaverde
02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Not much to be gained in rechambering to 30-40 as most 30-30s comes with a 1-12 tsist barrel. This limits bullet length/weight to about 190 grains. The 30-30 has enough powder capacity to push bullets this weight to cast bullet limits.

The 30-40 is a great round, but the extra powder capacity doesn't help until you get to the heavier bullets above 200 grains. It takes a 1-10 twist barrel to do right by these longer bullets.

Thanks for the input. The Handi 30-30 barrels are 1 in 10" twist.

Has anyone rechambered a handi ? Should be quite easy.

cabezaverde
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh man.

I just sent my Target frame off for a 30-30 and 45-70 fitting yesterday. Today, I get an email from a guy that has an absolutely gorgeous Ruger #1 he wants to sell me.

Jack Stanley
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Mine is a old Topper with a chamber so large you'd think it was supposed to take 30-40 ammo !!:roll:
On the good side though , I setup a sizer die just for this rifle and have a load that does very well . I keep the cases and ammo separate from the lever rifle and so far case life and accuracy are fine . It's a neat rifle to fool with , I just wish they would have done it right the first time up .

Jack

joeb33050
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM

Chargar;
Greenhill says a .308" 1:12 barrel will stabilize a bullet 1.186" long. My estimator says that 1.186" ~ 207 grains. My guns stabilize 311299 and 314299 at ~208 grains in WW, at least to 200 yards. For long range maybe a shorter/lighter bullet is better.
joe b.

w30wcf
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Regarding the max. bullet weight that a 1/12" twist .30 caliber barrel will stabilize, I have had excellent results with Lyman's 311284 (220 grs. in w.w.+2% tin) in my Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative '94 all the way out to 1,000 yards.:-D

w30wcf

felix
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Salient rules: Heavier the boolit, less twist is needed; more pointed a boolit, less twist is needed; longer the boolit, more twist is needed; the windier the condition, more twist is needed; longer the range, more twist is needed; more of a boattail, more twist is needed; more hollow the point, less twist is needed. ... felix

RayinNH
03-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Felix, are you saying we need a two piece barrel with the lands only attached at the opposite ends from each other ? Need more twist turn the front of the barrel a bit, need less twist turn the barrel a bit in the other direction. The front sight problem will need to be worked out though. :-D...Ray

Marlin Junky
03-18-2007, 12:35 PM
What are those 30-30 Handi-Rifle chambers like? Are they sloppy? Do they have any throat? What's the rifling like? How deep are the grooves?

The one thing I do know about the Handi-Rifle is that NEF should stick to chambering it for rimmed cartridges. I purchased an SB2-135 (.35 Whelen) last fall, shot about 100 rounds through it and it's no longer extracting fired brass because the extractor isn't grabbing the rim. I'm sending it back to the factory with a note asking NEF to replace the barrel with one chamber for the 38-55 cartridge because I really can't imaging a poorer designed extractor for rimless cartridges.

MJ

randyrat
04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I have the Handi rifle chambered 30-06 and it shoots great,trigger is crisp and very heavy 6-8 lbs. It takes me 10 rds just to get used to the trigger. I have been thinking about sending the forarm and receiver in to get a different barrel fitted but am confused. I'm leaning toward a 30-30 so i can cast for it also so i can have open sites. I could try casting for the 06 but am stuck with the scope only, no open sites. Maybe i should save up and buy them all.

versifier
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Felix, are you saying we need a two piece barrel with the lands only attached at the opposite ends from each other ? Need more twist turn the front of the barrel a bit, need less twist turn the barrel a bit in the other direction. The front sight problem will need to be worked out though. :-D...Ray

Sleeve the barrel. :-D

randyrat:
If you have more barrels fitted, then you'll still have the same crappy trigger with all of them. They're relatively inexpensive, but you get what you pay for - there's no free lunch. I have posted before about inconsistent heat treating of their bearing surfaces, too. Sometimes it's the barrel, sometimes the receiver. When it's the barrel, you can shim it, but when it's the receiver, you're screwed. Encores and Contenders are much more expensive, but the quality is there, the triggers are far superior, and the CS from T/C when you have problems is generally fantastic. When you buy good tools, you swear by them instead of at them. That won't sit too well with those who swear by their Handy Rrifles, but I have sworn at too many of them and would never recommend another one to anyone. Many of them do have very accurate barrels, and when they shoots themselves loose, you could always thread them and screw them into decent bolt actions. The .30-30 in a decent action, with a decent barrel, is well capable of subMOA accuracy with cast or jacketed. I would expect 2MOA or worse from and ancient and shot-out levergun, but from a new one, that does not meet the minimum standard, especially when a 10" Contender can easily shoot MOA at 100yds (and I have owned three: 10", 14", and now a carbine - they'll all do it.)

tom barthel
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I had one and made it an AI. Some will argue about the name. My reloads will drop into a AI chamber cut by pros. No problem. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. I am calling it an Ackley Improved chamber regardless of anyones thoughts on it. I'm a disabled shooter. I've shot 3 rounds into a .70 inch group from a benched position. That's rare for me. An able shooter with my NEF Handi-rifle should do a lot better. I shoot the LEE c309-170f cast bullet. My weight on this bullet with gas check is about 178-179 grains. I also shoot remington 150 and 165 grain psp core lock (sp?) bullets. This little rifle grows on you. Any of my rifles will outshoot me but, I usually go to my favorite little cheap gun for everything. I'm very impressed with my .30-30 AI Handi-rifle.

All NEF .30 cal barrels are 1in 10 twist. I had a .30-30 barrel reamed to .30-40. No problems. I like the .30-30 better. Besides, I have 9 .30 caliber rifles. I'd suggest staying with the standard .30-30. I re chambered mine to AI just to have something different. It's your money. If you want it and can afford it, go for it. Give yourself a treat. ENJOY.

Scrounger
04-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the Handi rifle chambered 30-06 and it shoots great,trigger is crisp and very heavy 6-8 lbs. It takes me 10 rds just to get used to the trigger. I have been thinking about sending the forarm and receiver in to get a different barrel fitted but am confused. I'm leaning toward a 30-30 so i can cast for it also so i can have open sites. I could try casting for the 06 but am stuck with the scope only, no open sites. Maybe i should save up and buy them all.

Randyrat, according to the Handiholics at Greybeard's Forum, if you send your rifle in to have a new barrel fitted, you can have the factory give you a nice trigger job for little or no cost. I would go for the .357 barrel or the .45-70 or even the .500 S&W. But whatever makes your bird whistle. I have a .223 Synthetic model Handi that I would like to sell so I could buy the .500 S&W.

joeb33050
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Salient rules: Heavier the boolit, less twist is needed;

I don't think so, the heavier the bullet the longer it is and faster twist is needed. The DENSER the bullet the slower twist is required.

"more pointed a boolit, less twist is needed; "

I don't think so, Greenhill says twist required is a function of bullet length for a caliber. A 1" 30 caliber flat nose requires the same twist as a 1" 30 caliber spire point.

"longer the boolit, more twist is needed;"

Mr. Greenhill and I agree

"the windier the condition, more twist is needed;"

I don't think so, wind deflection is a function of BC and wind v and mv. Faster twist doesn't reduce wind deflection. Stabilized 22 and 45 at mv with BC have same wind deflection.

"longer the range, more twist is needed;"

Maybe, at low MVs-but the jury's out.

"more of a boattail, more twist is needed;"

No, don't think so-see about pointed bullets above. The boattail has higher BC at lower v's, so lest wind defl.

"more hollow the point, less twist is needed"

No, see boattail and pointed bullets, above. HP = <SD = <BC = more wind defl.

. ... felix

The minimum twist required to stabilize a bullet of a given caliber is a function of bullet length (BIG EFFECT), bullet density so lead stabilizes better than copper etc, the density of the medium the bullet is going through-air is good, water is bad, lower density air at higher elevations is better than sea level air, and muzzle velocity (SMALL EFFECT).
Wind deflection for a given mv is a function of only BC and wind velocity-keeping in mind that velocity is a vector quantity.

Now, I could very well be wrong, and would like to see any data supporting other contentions.
joe brennan

randyrat
04-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Randyrat, according to the Handiholics at Greybeard's Forum, if you send your rifle in to have a new barrel fitted, you can have the factory give you a nice trigger job for little or no cost. I would go for the .357 barrel or the .45-70 or even the .500 S&W. But whatever makes your bird whistle. I have a .223 Synthetic model Handi that I would like to sell so I could buy the .500 S&W. The 45-70 is also on my mind. I'm going check on a trigger job from factory. So far i have had the gun for about 5 years and haven't shot it like other guns but can't complain for $150. As for, you get what you pay for- i did and i'm not complaining.

clearwater
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I have one and did the rechamber to 30-40. I use the open sights so the
2" groups I get are the limit for my eyes. Someday I will scope it to see how
it does. I have it as a mountain bike rifle where I have to ride in on fire roads where
cars aren't allowed. That way if I take a tumble I won't ruin a good scope. It is
also fairly light at 7 lbs.

I sent the rifle back for the free trigger work when I added a shotgun barrel. It is now
a nice 3 lbs. The shotgun barrel makes it a nice walking (or riding) turkey gun.

With the 30-30 barrel and 150 grain nosler accubonds I could get close to 2400 fps
with reloader 15. With the rechamber over 2600 fps with imr 4350. I have loaded up
some 180 ballistic tips and 220 grain round noses to try.

Cast loads so far with 170 grain gas checked are similar in both chamberings about
1700 fps. I haven't done much with the krag yet.

One other good thing about the Krag rechamber, is the great number of loading data
for heavier bullets of all kinds. An it has an even longer neck and wider rim than the
30-30, good for cast bullets in a single shot.

With any of the Handi rifles I would suggest buffing out the chamber with flitz
to keep stuck cases to a minimum. Also be sure the front forearm screw is snug
for best accuracy and if on a bench, rest the front bags under the action or hold
the forearm in your hand while on the bags. Stay away from the ultralight barrels,
they walk all over the place.

lovedogs
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Just for info... yes, the boys at NEF will do sort of a trigger job for free if you send your gun in. But they will only go down to, I believe, about 5 lbs. I've been fortunate with two of my BC's, I guess. After douching them out with a degreaser I squirt Break-Free in their actions and let them drip dry and wound up with crisp 3 3/4 & 4 lb. pulls. Not fantastic, but useable.

drinks
04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
All 3 actions I have, have nice triggers.
I have 2 rimless barrels, .308 and .35 Whelen, both do fine, no extractor problems, notice I said extractor, not ejector, I converted my 3 actions to extractor and did a 30 second modification to the extractor profile on my .35 Whelen with a needle file and cured any problem with it.
Over 1000 rounds in the .45-70, including 1800+fps 500gr loads and all are still tight.
Just a LOT of bang for the buck!

cabezaverde
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Drinks,

Please tell how you did the conversion. I hate the ejectors.

Swampman
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Most Handis have great trigger pulls.

rhead
06-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Mine is a tack driver. Sub moa with mild loads if I do my part at the casting pot and reloading bench. 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" with full bore cast. The trigger is a crisp 3.5# out of the box. If the chamber is sloppy I have a few other "better" rifles that need to be slopped up a bit.

barrabruce
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Me.
Mine is a 157pardner 30-30 barrel on a newer NEF action. Think its a SB1

I have gotten 1" @ 100 yds and less 5 shot groups with 150 hornady pointy jacketed stuff loaded up.

Cast I get an honest 1 1/8" @ 100yrds that blow out to 6" at 300 mtres if I do my bit with 170fp lee loaded slow.
5-10 rounds mostly.

My barrell was sordda new when I got it.
Bad chatter marks near the chamber end from the rifling machine kept it in new condition for me,
(no one wanted it)
A bit of lapping etc and a home trigger job helped it preform.
Light but crisp without being too light.
PP bullets I have tried and played with around the 2 to 1 1/2 moa. Sometimes better.
Still has a bit of a ****ty start at the front of the barrel but it shoots good enough for me for what I want.

Mine has deeper rifling bore 303 groove 308 1:12 inch twist.
I think it is the lighter barrel that's not supposed to shoot to good.

Still it is capable of head shooting rabbits to 150yds if given the right loads.

I'm happy with my "useless single shot.....just a bit of a joke really....grandpa outdated obsolete cartridge firing wobbly stretchy actioned...never load it in time....slow firing hammer whacking shuttering... short barrelled poky thing that'd be flat out hitt'n nothing past say 100yds" gun
:) :)
Still working on it.
And having fun loading cast and PP boolits with me lee whack'em loading tools at the range.

My fun thing is loads with about 3 gns bullesye 170 plain cast tumble lubed around 1000fps hitting the 300 mtre gong.
Bang......wait for it..............ding ....heeeheeeheee.
Sick.

They tend to grow on 'yu once you get past the "mustta fell out of the ugly tree and landed head first look"
The monel die cast looking action and stamped out innard looking bits!!!!!
I think I can use this more as a tool more than a range queen that I'd be coddling after all day in case it got a scratch or something.

Consider it as a reliable paddock basher not a merc to turn up to the opera in and enjoy.
Barra

Moonie
06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
My 11 year old is wanting a handi rifle for her 12'th birthday. I had been thinking .223 but perhaps something in 30 cal. With boolits I can load even a 30-06 (which I load for a much older son) soft enough for her and she does want to go hunting with me and her older brothers sometime soon.

lonewolf5347
06-18-2010, 04:14 PM

I just pick up a 2004 action for a 243 cal. barrel SB2 the trigger pull man 85oz
I have 2 other SB2 both break at 3lbs I was lucky the old H@R did the trigger jobs for free no need to purchase any barrels.I here the new remington will not touch them any more unless they are really heavy.I can say it was simple to do you need a plate knock out block and a slave pin hammer and a 5/32 punch and and real small punch one for the front pin ,pins get knocked out right to left drop the lower have and polish the sear .
I now got it to break at 48 oz man what a difference and simple I found the ruff part was to get the housing back into the action took the most time.

barrabruce
06-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Iv'e heard the triggers can tend to lighten with age as well.

I just mostly polished all contact and bearing surfaces.

Took out the trigger return spring and replaced it with a weaker ball point pen one IIRC.

That lightened it up some.

After a while and a good run in I then lightened it a tad more to what ....I .....wanted it to be.

Ohh Iv'e heard that they would re- do the triggers fiting barrels heavier if they were worked lighter than 3 pounds

Barra

jaguarxk120
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Many of todays firearms are fitted with the lawyer trigger 6lb.++++ and many of todays shooters do not know ant better.

If they shot a 3 lb or less trigger pull with no creap they would be astounded.

Swampman
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Most Handis come with a nice light trigger.

Swampman
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Here's mine I paid $225.00 with the scope.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Woodsman1956/NEF/100_2663.jpg

GetBulletsandBrass
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I have my NEF with 3 barrels.
.223 bull barrel
.243 bull barrel
12 gauge rifled slug barrel

This rifle is by far one of my most favorite and accurate rifles in my collection. I'm thinking of sending it back in to get it fitted for 7.62x39, .500 S&W, .50 muzzle loader, and .270. For the price you can't beat the price to have them done.

http://www.getbulletsandbrass.com/images/New_England_Rifle_with_ATN_scope.jpg

Catshooter
09-03-2010, 11:04 PM
My H&Rs are my "last" rifles. I have three actions, blackpowder, shotgun and rifle.

The blackpowder is an old .58 Huntsman that I shortened to 20"

Shotgun is fitted to .410, 20 and 12 gauge.

The rifle is fitted for .225 Winchester (was a .223), .30-30, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, and .45-70.

The .45-70 can give me inch and an eigth groups, the .225 three quarter inch.

I love 'em.

Cat

Papa Jack
09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I have three Handi Rifles, SB-2 frames, I have sent em all back at one time or another for extra barrels. All seem to shoot real good If I can hold em steady, and see what I'm shootin at.
So Far I have:
.22 hornet
.204 ruger
.22-250
.243 win
.280 Rem.
.7mm-08
.30-30 win
.308 win
.357 mag.
.44 magnum
.45-70
.450 marlin

The .450 marlin barrel I need to send back, it just won't always eject the brass, the little ejector thingy snaps under the brass rim and refuses to push it out. Not good If I need a fast second shot..
I'd like to get a .444 Marlin barrel too, wish I could find a .375 Win. barrel, but they don't offer them anymore ( I have brass, bullets, dies...)
Why three frames ??? Well, I have three grandsons, so I want to make sure each one gets a gun and a couple calibers to play with. Now I have a new grandson this summer so I need to buy another Handi Rifle, and barrel it up.
These guns are fun to cast boolits for and shoot, my barrels look like mirrors in side !
"PJ"

Shooter
09-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Mine's not a Handi-Rifle but an older Topper model 158 with .30-30 and 20 gauge barrels. I bought it many years ago to use as a loaner for those people who don't deserve to get their hands on one of my good guns.
:-D
The .30-30 barrel shoots very well. I've never had anything but a 2-1/2X scope on it and with that glass it'll shoot around 2MOA with the dreaded j-words. Can you believe I've never put a real boolit through it?
:roll:
So many projects - so little time...
Uncle R.

I have a 158 set from the 70's. Mine is .22 hornet and 20 Ga. Sure would like to find a .30-30 barrel to complete the set.

onondaga
10-07-2010, 02:53 AM
I have a newer SB2 Ultra Handi-Rifle, purchased it in .223 with heavy Bull Barrel and added a .500 S&W Mag Barrel and factory trigger job. In .500 S&W I have never used factory ammo and now use cast bullets in both calibers. The .500 will group less than one inch consistently for me at 50 yd. with Bushnell 2-7 shotgun scope and DeadNutz one piece base/rings. The .223 groups .621" @ 100 yd. I weighted the butt stock with a drop-in cast lead cylinder to reduce recoil with .500 S&W. When the .500 barrel was new it consistently fired the first shot 2 inches high until I honed the bore with chrome scratch remover polish about 80 strokes with a snug patch. Problem gone completely now. The trigger originally was 6 lbs 2 oz and their free work was excellent. 3 lbs 1 oz and no creep. Next is a .308 Win bull barrel for me! The laminated Ultra Varmint stock is a little flashy in color but the Monti Carlo cheek is a good height for scope use. I've fired over 2000 rounds .500 S&W and 1000 rounds .223 with this rig and like it a lot.

Butcher45
11-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the input. The Handi 30-30 barrels are 1 in 10" twist.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to inform everyone that there were indeed 1:12 twist 30-30's put out by NEF. Look for the ones made in the early 90's.

Texas by God
11-29-2018, 12:40 AM
I would rechamber one with either twist. The 30-40 is great and I don't need the heavies anyway.

Ranch Dog
11-29-2018, 08:30 AM
This will go off topic on this older topic, but any 30-30 single shot guys should look at this auction: Rossi Single Shot 7.62x39 (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790795396). It is more of a "buy it now" with free shipping, I have no stake in it

I've had a couple of Handi's; 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, 35 Rem, and two 444 Marlins. Hands down, I felt the Rossi's were better. I've owned them chambered in 308 Win, 7.62x39, 44 Mag, rechambered a 44 Mag to 444 Marlin, and a 45-70. Of all of these, Handi's and Rossi's, the only one I regret getting rid of was the Rossi 7.62x39. My rifle was cut to the SAAMI spec, .300 bore, .310 groove, and with a 9.45 twist.

I have more guns than a small town gun store so, though tempted, I'm not going to buy it even though I want it. Thought I would mention it to you single shot guys that are trying to feed an addiction.

sparky45
11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
I recently had one of my Handi's rechambered to a 7.62 x 39 and it's a joy to shoot. I had Tim Malcolm (forum member) do the work and it seems to be spot on. That Rossi looks good but since I already have a single shot 7.62 x 39 I'll pass.

ulav8r
11-29-2018, 07:28 PM
This will go off topic on this older topic, but any 30-30 single shot guys should look at this auction: Rossi Single Shot 7.62x39 (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790795396). It is more of a "buy it now" with free shipping, I have no stake in it
Only problem is that is a $150 gun.

30-30 guy
12-01-2018, 12:00 AM
I have an old topper 30-30 with a redone 2# trigger pull that shoots a 170 grain lee flatnose lubbed with alox and 20 grains of BLC-2 into 7/8 inch at 100 yards. Beats my Thompson encore with an mgm barrel and 2# trigger with the same load by 1/4 inch. Best 2 cast boolit guns I own. Working on my new henry 30-30 now!!

Tom W.
12-01-2018, 01:27 AM
I posted earlier ( like 2007 or so ) that I have one. A few months ago I had it rechambered to 30/30 a.i.
Next weekend I'll try a few a.i. loads, but am having a ball just shooting fire forming loads.

Ranch Dog
12-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Only problem is that is a $150 gun.
Sorry fellow, but they all were once. My first Handi 30-30 Win was about $95 at Wal-Mart. Would not eject a cartridge (three returns to the factory), hunted with a wooden dowel on my pack, and the trigger needed a crank winch to pull (factory wouldn't touch it).

curator
12-02-2018, 08:42 PM
I've had an SB2 Handi in .30-30 for about 20 years. It was made with an 1 in 10" rifling twist so I reamed the chamber for .30-30AI, 40 degree. Now I shoot 200 to 220 grain cast flat nose boolits in it with accuracy to 2000 fps. Cases seem to last nearly forever and accuracy hovers around 1.5 MOA from 100 to 250 yards.

rking22
12-03-2018, 07:52 PM
3030ai seems interesting. My 3030 handi was a factory fit barrel to my sb2 4570, just because. I like 3030 and was sending it in for a 20ga and 357mag barrel setup. Well after I had the 3030 for a couple years I found it to have excessive headzpace,, REALLY factory fit and they couldnt get that right! It's so deep I get liggt strikes, other barrels are great.So, what $$$ and who is reccomendrd for a ream to AI? Or, better yet,is there a "shared reamer" out there?
Thanks for any help.

ulav8r
12-03-2018, 08:11 PM
3030ai seems interesting. My 3030 handi was a factory fit barrel to my sb2 4570, just because. I like 3030 and was sending it in for a 20ga and 357mag barrel setup. Well after I had the 3030 for a couple years I found it to have excessive headzpace,, REALLY factory fit and they couldnt get that right! It's so deep I get liggt strikes, other barrels are great.So, what $$$ and who is reccomendrd for a ream to AI? Or, better yet,is there a "shared reamer" out there?
Thanks for any help.

Since the 30/30 AND the AI both headspace on the rim, you will still have excessive head space. If you size your cases to seat on the shoulder instead of the rim, there is no "need" to re-chamber. You will have to rely on hand loads to eliminate headspace or have the rim cut shimmed to give proper headspacing on the rim.

rking22
12-03-2018, 08:49 PM
As a 30Herrett shooter, I just set it up on the shoulder. Pain in the rear when I get some of that brass mixed with the other. Yes, I could stand to be better organized, but a 3030 AI would keep my brass easy and.... I don't have one of those ..yet [smilie=l:

HangFireW8
12-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Since the 30/30 AND the AI both headspace on the rim, you will still have excessive head space. If you size your cases to seat on the shoulder instead of the rim, there is no "need" to re-chamber. You will have to rely on hand loads to eliminate headspace or have the rim cut shimmed to give proper headspacing on the rim.

rking22, ulav8r is right, just rechambering won't help, the barrel has to be set further back against the breech in some way.

As an expediency, headspacing on the shoulder (AI or not) can be done, as long as you don't share brass with another 30/30. It is accomplished starting with new or other-gun brass by necking it up to the next caliber (8mm or so) then then necking it back down to .30 only as far as needed to get it to chamber. Then the bump on the 2-diameter neck will hold the rim against the breech.

Hamish
12-03-2018, 11:23 PM
A small pony-tail rubber band placed around the base of the brass will help keep the cartridge against the breech face, then just be careful not to bump the shoulder back, segregate the brass.

John Taylor
12-05-2018, 08:49 AM
I took two old H&R 30-30s in trade a while back. One of my customers was looking for a small caliber rifle for his two daughters so I made a new barrel for one in 32 S&W so he could use it to train the two girls and still have the 30-30 barrel for when they got old enough to hunt with him. I have had to many projects so little time to try out the other H&R.