PDA

View Full Version : Master-Caster for Rifle bullets

dverna
11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I would like to get opinions from those of you who have been successful in producing accurate cast bullets using the Master-Caster.

I wish to produce inexpensive ammunition for a .308 Winchester sniper rifle and my goal is 10 shot 5" groups at 300 yards. Is this a reasonable expectation with semi-automatic casting equipment?

Thanks,

Don

ReloaderFred
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
The only rifle bullets I've produced on my Master Caster have been for the .45-70. The bullets cast with the machine were the equal, or perhaps even better than, hand cast bullets using similar molds.

In the case of the .45-70 bullets, ranging in weight from 300 grains to 370 grains for the molds I have for the Master Caster, production is pretty slow. This is due to the larger amount of molten lead being put into the mold. With these bullets I'm lucky to get 300 bullets an hour on the Master Caster, but still prefer it to hand casting any day of the week.

With a .30 caliber bullet, I would expect to get a production rate of 400+ bullets an hour, depending on the weight of the bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

finishman2000
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
my mastercaster makes very consitent boolits. i see reason why it wouldn't for rifle. they don't have any listed but will convert any 2 cavity meatl mold. as far as group size...too many factors involved to say it is the casting machines fault or reason for acc.

GabbyM
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Long skinny bullets seam to be difficult to bottom pour. At least for me.
I can drop pretty good 150 grain 30 caliber bullets from my Master Caster but the 200 grain bullets do better for me with a ladle with spout and pressure pour method. There’s a line between good enough bullets and perfect bullets which is a personal decision.

That said . If you can currently bottom pour your rifle bullets with any bottom pour pot. Then the master caster can do the same.

My first choice for volume rifle bullets would be a four cavity hand held pressure poured with a ladle. Two cavity hand pours keep up with my needs.

runfiverun
11-15-2011, 11:27 PM
i make an 165 fp plain base and the rcbs 165 silhouette on the master caster.
i use both ww's with some tin and 4/6/90 alloy to make them.
the master caster will shoot the stream directly in the mold and act like pressure pouring so much so that if you aren't careful it will make a heck of a mess.
i have also made 405 gr 45/70 boolits with no issues except i had to slow up my pace to avoid severe frosting.

44 WCF
11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
I use my Master Caster for 30 cal 180 and be dog gone but I have better consistency by weight than I did with the same mould before I had it converted. I also have able to cast very accurate 25 cal 114 NEI bullets for my 25-35. I've found for long skinny bullet with the Master Caster, you have to be detail, detail, detail which I tend to not do.