PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check or not

wv109323
11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
With all factors equal, are Gas Checked bullets more accurate than a plain based bullet of the same design?
Let us assume the following conditions:
Cartridge is a .38 Special.
Bullet is a 158 gn. SWC
Velocity is around 800-850 FPS.
Firearm is of the quality to expect accuracy. Colt S&W or Ruger.
Bullets are properly cast.

I could ask the question this way:
If you were going to buy a 158 gn. bullet mold would you buy a Gas check or non gas checked mold?
Does the base of a gas checked bullet contribute to accuracy since the base is flat and more consistent than a bullet with a cut sprue?
Would a gas checked bullet lead less, thus increase accuracy due to no leading? This question would be based on the condition that the firearm is used in competition and could not be cleaned until the competition is over.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

HammerMTB
11-15-2011, 12:16 AM
For a .38 special, I would get a PB boolit. The reason is, you will not develop the velocity that would make a GC needed. A GC adds cost, and while per boolit it doesn't seem like much ($.04 or so) shoot a few thou of them and it ads up.
Change that to a .357 in a rifle, it may be a different story.
I don't think GCs are "inherently" more accurate, but they may be easier to obtain accuracy from a beginning caster.
Flaws in the boolit base can be concealed by a GC. They will CAUSE inaccuracy in a PB

Bret4207
11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Hammer cover it pretty well. If I had a 357 and wanted to shoot 38 and 357, and could only have one mould- then I'd get the GC. But moulds are relatively inexpensive these days. Having a 358477 for the 38 brass and a 358156 for the 357 is certainly do-able with a few less Mc Value meals.

Hurricane
11-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Get a plain base bullet for the 38 Special. A few good bullet molds are Lee 158 RFN, RCBS 38-150 SWC, Lyman 358477. Any one of these will give you good service.

bobthenailer
11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
IMO get a pb bullet they are very accurate ! I personaly only use a gas checked bullet for loads over 1300 fps , I must be lucky because 3 GC bullets that ive tried shooting without the GC installed at 800 to 1100 fps are very accurate but i havent tried it with my other 4 GC moulds as i dont shoot them that much.

44man
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
So far I do not have a revolver that needs a GC. I use PB in the 45-70 at 1632 FPS with super accuracy.
I have never found the GC boolit is more accurate, I call them equal.
Proper alloy! A GC boolit can be softer so I would base the decision on the lead you plan on shooting.
I shot some 1" groups at 50 yards from a friends .454 loaded to 55,000 PSI to test primers and a PB boolit. I made the boolits hard. I have no idea the velocity! I never take the chronograph down.
I really believe the tipping point will be based on alloy used.
We are shooting PB from the .475, .500 JRH and even the .500 S&W.

dale2242
11-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I have PB and GC boolit molds in 30,38/357 and 44 cal.
I can get no better or worse accuracy out of either design.
BTW, the 38/357 and 44 boolits are used only in revolvers.
They will all shoot equally well if a load is worked up for EACH individual boolit.
Buy the PB mold and save the cost of GCs.
We recently did an accuracy test,, while chronographing each load. We were shooting a 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk .
We got several very accurate loads with PB boolits in the 1300-1400 FPS range with NO leading.
The boolits were cast from my generic Lyman #2 alloy....dale

KYCaster
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
With all factors equal, are Gas Checked bullets more accurate than a plain based bullet of the same design?
Let us assume the following conditions:
Cartridge is a .38 Special.
Bullet is a 158 gn. SWC
Velocity is around 800-850 FPS.
Firearm is of the quality to expect accuracy. Colt S&W or Ruger.
Bullets are properly cast.
At 850 fps I don't think you'll be able to see any difference.

I could ask the question this way:
If you were going to buy a 158 gn. bullet mold would you buy a Gas check or non gas checked mold?
I'd buy a mold without a GC. Personally, I don't see a need for a GC on any pistol boolit.
Does the base of a gas checked bullet contribute to accuracy since the base is flat and more consistent than a bullet with a cut sprue?
Would a gas checked bullet lead less, thus increase accuracy due to no leading? This question would be based on the condition that the firearm is used in competition and could not be cleaned until the competition is over.
I would appreciate your thoughts.
How many rounds are you talking about...100...200...400? There are other factors that will cause more problems than what's on the base of the boolit. I've had more issues with powder and lube fouling in the chamber than anything else, and a GC doesn't help that.

Jerry

x101airborne
11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
None of my pistol molds have a gas check. None of my big-bore rifle molds are gas checked. Now I do differ my alloy hardness based on what I am doing.... 357 mag gets water dropped, 38's do not, 44 mag is water dropped, 45 colt is not. That whole chestnut.

rintinglen
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
If I could only have one 38 mold, it would be a plain base. However, if 357's were on the list, I prefer GC boolits. My lead is whatever I can scrounge, with a spot of tin to insure fill out. Gas Checks make it easier to get good accuracy with light leading.
Now at the silhouette club, I'd never load a checkless boolit for a gun smaller than a 38-55. I have seen many a match ruined for a shooter when leading started to accumulate in the barrel. Invariably, they were trying to push a PB boolit fast.

MtGun44
11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
IMO, GCs are unneeded for .357 or .44 mag. I can get accurate loads at full magnum
velocities without them, so I do not use them in handguns.

For rifles, I keep some around for .44 mag, and use them in .45-70, .30 cal and 7mms
so far. Will try .22 cf one of these days.

For .38 Spl it would be a total waste for sure. Good people can disagree for the magnums,
but there is no doubt that the are NOT a requirement.

Bill

williamwaco
11-15-2011, 08:17 PM
IMO, GCs are unneeded for .357 or .44 mag. I can get accurate loads at full magnum velocities without them, so I do not use them in handguns.

For rifles, I keep some around for .44 mag, and use them in .45-70, .30 cal and 7mms so far. Will try .22 cf one of these days.

For .38 Spl it would be a total waste for sure. Good people can disagree for the magnums, but there is no doubt that the are NOT a requirement.

Bill

Amen to that.

I load plain base for .30 carbine, .357 mag, .44 Mag, 38-55, 30-30 rifles. I recently bought a .30 cal 170 grain gas check design to try out in the .308. I have yet to load or fire one.

DITTO!

canyon-ghost
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
A gas checked boolit works by transferring the force of the powder from the base to the center bands of the boolit, further up the middle of the boolit. Has to do with the elasticity of lead but, at revolver speeds you may not need it. You are also going to lose velocity in a shorter barrel with fast powder.

I buy gas checked boolit molds as I see fit, if I want to try them. I have plain based and gas checked for handguns. Sometimes I like the gas check better, sometimes not.

Good Luck,
Ron

Dorado
11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this but What about for a .357mag rifle with a 20" barrel? I'm looking to go hunting with it.

williamwaco
11-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this but What about for a .357mag rifle with a 20" barrel? I'm looking to go hunting with it.

I have a Winchester 20" M-92.

I have used three bullets in it.

Ballisti-cast 651 158 gr Keith style SWC

Lee C358-158-SWC Gas Check

TL358-158-SWC

I load all with a stiff charge of Accurate No.9 or 2400.

There is no discernable difference in accuracy and none of them produce any leading even in the 20 inch barrel.

The Ballisti-cast and the Lee gas check bullets are normally lubed with the Lyman 4500. Sized .357 and Lyman 50/50 Alox / Beeswax lube.

The Lee tumble lube SWC is always sized .357 and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.

I have experimented with Lee Liquid Alox on the other two bullets and believe it works fine. They do not lead in the rifle but I have only shot about 100 of each.

Summary:

I use the TL358-158-SWC for 99% of my .357 shooting in both handguns and the rifle. It is very accurate and the only way I know of to improve on it for hunting would be to use a hollow point mold.

My Lyman Cast Bullet manual says that load is clocking 1750 fps +/- from the 20" barrel.

1Shirt
11-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree with 44Man. Nice sharp bases are all you need with 38S vols.
1Shirt!:coffee: