PDA

View Full Version : paper patch 7.62 x 39

medic44
02-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I've been wondering about trying to paper patch w/ soft lead for 7.62 x 39 by using a 160 gr .309 boolit. Any ideas if this would work and or if I should size this at .311 or .314. Could I use LEE push through sizer w/ this

Scrounger
02-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I've been wondering about trying to paper patch w/ soft lead for 7.62 x 39 by using a 160 gr .309 boolit. Any ideas if this would work and or if I should size this at .311 or .314. Could I use LEE push through sizer w/ this

If youWANT to paper-patch, that's your decision and no one else can decide for you; if you just want .314 bullets, why not buy one of the Lee molds below, they are cheap enough? And of course you can use the Lee bullet sizer; if they don't stock one in .314, they will custom make one for you in whatever size you want for $25. You also might try "Beagling" your mold to get fatter bullets. Link to "Beagling" http://www.castpics.net/RandD/mould_enhancement/mould_enhancement.htm

medic44
02-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I was thinking about paper patch so I could use soft lead for better expansion

longbow
02-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I've had good results paper patching for .44 mag and .308.

I used a 0.302" slug and 2 wraps of 0.004" paper. The bullets came out at 0.316" unsized. A little smaller than I would have expected (paper shrinkage?) but very large for .308. I originally patched them for a .303 British but oddly enough they worked in the .308 but not the .303 - go figure. I have a feeling rifling depth played a part here.

There are some good articles on paper patching on the internet.

Some here: http://www.303british.com/

And there is info in the Lyman cast bullet handbook.

I think a standard 30 cal. bullet at .309" will be too large.

Lyman recommends 0.301 for a 30 cal at 0.308" so you would want to size down to about 0.306" and use 0.002" to 0.003" thick paper for the 7.62x39 at about 0.312".

You might get away with using tracing paper on the 0.309" bullet. It is worth a try as all you have to lose is a bit of powder and time. If it is too big it will swage and just not shoot real well. Start with light loads though.

Longbow

9.3X62AL
02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Paul Matthews' book "The Paper Jacket" is a good source for info on paper patching boolits. FWIW, 2 wraps of 9# bond paper gives me about .008" more diameter to the boolit shank.

One other option to explore for expanding boolits is Bruce B's method for casting softpoint boolits. This enables soft point for expansion and a hard shank for rifling engagement with the drive bands. A search here will show his threads.

medic44
02-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I've looked at Bruce B's method. Cast a boolit, cut off the tip, put the tip back in the mold and hold the mold in the melt long enough to melt the tip, cool the mold, pour hard alloy in mold, cool, hold mold in melt long enough to melt sprue, hold mold closed until boolit is cool. Seams like I could make softer boolits faster w/ paper patch. Will read sights posted. Thanks guys

medic44
02-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I alsso was wondering about using the thin tissue paper that they give you w/ those cheap balsa model airplanes for my paper. I've never paper patched so if there is someone within 100 miles of Kansas City that could help me learn it would help. Thanks

dnepr
03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I am wondering if medic44 had any luck with the paper patched bullets in 7.62x39. I am a bit of a fan of paper patching . Ihave read Paul Mathews book , the paper jacket about a dozen times . I use paper patched in my .54 muzzle loader and am just starting to play with them in centerfires.
My question is how will paper patch bullets handle getting slammed around buy the sks action and and is there any problem with the paper patch and the gasport. Ihope to try this in my own siminov carbine ( like the sks but the actual russian model) but if the clog the gasport or won't handle the trip up the loading ramp there is probably not much point.

medic44
03-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Hadn't thought about the feeding and gas port. Sounds like real problems. Maybe I won't try it.

dnepr
03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
I didn't mean to discourage you in your attempts . I was hoping someone with more experience could pipe in and say if these were problems or not. I don't think you will damage anything on the rifle but there could be some accuracy problems or feeding problems.

Bigjohn
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
While most Paper patched designs are meant for single shot rifles, it is possible to load for repeaters.

The thought is that the patch must be protected by the case neck so as to avoid snagging it on an edge as it loads into the chamber or magazine.

I have a CBE .301" PP mold which casts a 155gr and 165gr Projectile and I have been preparing to load and shoot some through a .303" Brit, but I also have a AA M-10 in 7.62 x39 in which I could try some. It's a bolt action but uses the same type of magazine as the AK.

The recommendation is that the boolits are not seated below the shoulder in the case, this restricts the patch length to the length of the neck on the cartridge being used. The .30/06 neck length is ideal for this.

John.

Harter66
03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm very new to this myself,having an sks with a "generous chamber and throat" ,I tried a boolit that was a friction fit in the fired cases,.323 LLA'd and my Darrs variant which leaded from the gas port out w/several differant loads. Best group 3"sq, smallest 2x3. I read in here for........ well this post was on page 16 .

To the point ..... I rolled some 309-160 2R's up in printer paper (that's too heavy on boolits too big),and have launched about 20 with 5 shot strings doing about 4" at 25 yds off my knees. I did not have any identifiable paper or fuzz in the port or piston. This was my 1st real attempt at patching and I still feel like I'm missing something pretty major in the process .

Harter66
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Aaaaaa,sorry. I seem to have dug this up from the crypts foundation.

pdawg_shooter
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
While most Paper patched designs are meant for single shot rifles, it is possible to load for repeaters.

The thought is that the patch must be protected by the case neck so as to avoid snagging it on an edge as it loads into the chamber or magazine.

I have a CBE .301" PP mold which casts a 155gr and 165gr Projectile and I have been preparing to load and shoot some through a .303" Brit, but I also have a AA M-10 in 7.62 x39 in which I could try some. It's a bolt action but uses the same type of magazine as the AK.

The recommendation is that the boolits are not seated below the shoulder in the case, this restricts the patch length to the length of the neck on the cartridge being used. The .30/06 neck length is ideal for this.

John.

Seeing as how I dont have any single shot rifles I have to patch for my repeaters. Lets see, 2 30.30 leavers, a .308 bolt, 2 30.06 bolts, a 303 bolt, a .356 lever, a .375 bolt, a .45.70 lever and a .458 bolt. I patch all my bullets just forward of the start of the ogive. Works for me anyway.