PDA

View Full Version : FCD and Carbide FCD Die: Not same

milprileb
11-13-2011, 11:05 AM
This causes all manner of confusion so maybe a Sticky is needed so we don't discuss this every other day.

Rifle: there is a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) and has merit.
Pistol: there is a carbide crimp die ... its not the same as a FCD and is a square wheel of no great use.

FCD is rifle , Carbide Crimp die is Pistol

Apples and Refrigerators... not same food group !

Besides, the Carbide Crimp die has yet to be proven to solve any issues
for cast bullet and only sizes Jacketed bullets for reliable feeding. If you
reload properly with Jacketed bullets you don't need this band aid.

I can say this: I own a 9mm and 45acp Carbide Crimp die and wonder what on earth I was thinking for buying them. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

mdi
11-13-2011, 11:42 AM
This causes all manner of confusion so maybe a Sticky is needed so we don't discuss this every other day.

Rifle: there is a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) and has merit.
Pistol: there is a carbide crimp die ... its not the same as a FCD and is a square wheel of no great use.

FCD is rifle , Carbide Crimp die is Pistol

Apples and Refrigerators... not same food group !

Besides, the Carbide Crimp die has yet to be proven to solve any issues
for cast bullet and only sizes Jacketed bullets for reliable feeding. If you
reload properly with Jacketed bullets you don't need this band aid.
I can say this: I own a 9mm and 45acp Carbide Crimp die and wonder what on earth I was thinking for buying them. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:
I agree 100%. And you don't need one when loading lead bullets either, as you noted; when loaded properly...

hedgehorn
11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I have knocked the carbide ring out of my fcd's I bought them to use with my three die sets that I use on my RL550b. The ring swages the bullet but the case springs back leaving little tension on the slug. Wishing I would have bought the Dillon crimp dies. :shock:

Colorado4wheel
11-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Lee makes a normal crimp die for pistol as well.

Dale53
11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I really don't understand all of the bad press directed towards the Lee Factory Crimp die. Just like any other tool, it works in some cases and doesn't work in others.

I have them for several different calibers and find them VERY useful. My particular firearms do not require really over size cast bullets. As a for instance, my revolvers and auto pistols use this sizing:
.32 is .313", .38/.357 uses .358", .44's use .430", and .45's use .452" (.45 ACP and .45 Colt). The Factory crimp die works perfectly well, for me at those diameters. In the .45 ACP (I have both revolvers and 1911's) I use both the taper crimp insert and the roll crimp insert (requires and additional spacer) to get perfect crimps. I especially appreciate the finger tip adjustment. I find it MUCH less troublesome when setting up compared with having to get a wrench of the proper size for my "standard" dies.

If it doesn't work for you, then don't use it. It is NOT necessary to assume because it doesn't work for you, it's no good....

Rant over...

Dale53

Char-Gar
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
A sticky is not going to settle the issue. People will continue to hold different opinions and they are not facts, just opinions.

1. Some opinions are based on no experience.
2. Some opinions are based on limited experience.
3. Some opinions are bases on experience not directly related to the issue at hand.
4. Some opinions are based on good experience

I have never bought or use a Lee FCD of any kind so I belong to No. 1 above. The best I can say, is that when reading posts and threads on the subject, the scales tilt toward the negative side on the subject. In the end, Larry has the best idea. If it works use it, it is doesn't don't.

But the debate will rage on, no matter how many stickies there are. We have lots of stickies, but folks don't take the time to read them, so the same questions/issues are hashed and rehashed ad nauseaum.

Sonnypie
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I use a Lee FCD for my rifle reloading now. I particularly enjoy watching the collet gently squeeze the neck, and the end result (http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny's/PB020363.JPG). All based on MY setting of the die.

As far as pistol loading is concerned, I'm happy with my work there. Which does not use a Lee FCD, but DOES use RCBS Carbide pistol dies, W/Tapered crimp. (Old dies) Exactly what is called for, for what I am loading.
What I really like is not having to lube for carbide dies. Less mess for me to deal with.
YMMV

And I'm going with a collet neck sizing die for my rifle rounds for similar reasons. No case lube, because the collet embraces the casing and gently presses where I set it back into a uniform size.

Please note "MY" and "I" in the above. I take FULL responsibility for the results and the quality of my work.
If my hammer leaves a dent, is it the hammers fault? Or the fool that used it?

+1 for Dale53
Life is full of choices.
Dad used to say, "You made your bed, lay in it."
So if something does not work for you, try looking in the mirror first. :violin:
Or take a giant step backwards to where you were before.
But don't curse the hammer. ;-)

montana_charlie
11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
If my hammer leaves a dent, is it the hammers fault? Or the fool that used it?
In the eyes of some (like Obama) the fault lies with the dented object ... for having been present when the hammer arrived.

sqlbullet
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
The carbide dies is a great cheap way to iron out a glock smile BEFORE belling, priming, charging, seating and crimping.

In other words it is a fast and nifty push through size die if you have a high pressure pistol round in a chamber with less than ideal support.

I have no use for it as a crimp die.

Like the OP said, the non carbide dies are great and can provide a reliable and repeatable roll crimp that works great.

Colorado4wheel
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Even in this thread people keep calling it the FCD when in reality the only consistent bad press is related to the Carbide FCD (for pistol). That leads to a lot of confusion. Kinda like when people say "I love my Lee Classic Turret" and then others say my Lee Turret was not that great, I had it 15 years ago and I never liked it. Of course they are not talking about the CLASSIC turret. But the difference is lost on them because they don't know any better.

montana_charlie
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't understand what it is about Lee's Factory Crimp Dies that confuses people.
They all use a squeeze from a collet to crimp the case mouth, ergo the name.

The pistol FCD dies have carbide sizing rings in them, the rifle dies don't.
There are no other factors to understand.

CM

11-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Char-Gar wrote: "But the debate will rage on, no matter how many stickies there are. We have lots of stickies, but folks don't take the time to read them, so the same questions/issues are hashed and rehashed ad nauseaum."

The information, pro and con, is there in many threads but some people are just too lazy to look for it.

Montana Charlie wrote: "I don't understand what it is about Lee's Factory Crimp Dies that confuses people."

The confusion comes about becasue Lee uses "Factory Crimp" to market two dies that have absolutely nothing in common in their design or operation, and the people mentioned above won't take the time to learn the difference.

parson48
11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I have found that my carbide crimp die for .38 bullets will size my cast to cycle and fire well in my 9mm XD.