PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas America

white eagle
11-13-2011, 11:04 AM
-----

> Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition<
>
As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods --
merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This
year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine
concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift
giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Yes
there is!
>
It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in
a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?
Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates
from your local American hair salon or barber?
>
Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some
health improvement.
>
Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned
detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a
book of gift certificates.
>
Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down
the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift
receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or
driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.
>
There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift

certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about
a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this
isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town
Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.
>
How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or
motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
>
Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a
local cleaning lady for a day.
>
My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is
struggling to get his repair business up and running.
>
OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin
their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery
and beautiful wooden boxes.
>
Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave
your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at
your hometown theatre.
>
Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.
>
Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese
lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about
fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to
burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.
>
You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that
China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about
US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow
their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our
communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.

white eagle
11-13-2011, 11:05 AM
now get out of Walmart and get rid your Toyotas

jackley
11-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I got this yesterday and I think its a great idea.

Jerry

redneckdan
11-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Toyota has 6 different manufacturing facilities in the United States.

A while back I started buying American made, cottage industry if possible. Found some great folks to deal with. NOE, MiHec, White Label, 7X Leather just to name a few here.

Empire Canvas outta Duluth is great to deal with, lots of old style heavy wool and canvas clothing. I prefer them over Filson. Blind Horse Knives outta Ohio makes the best knives I've ever laid a hand on.

hiram1
11-13-2011, 01:09 PM
louis evans. makes a real good knive . he wont use jap steel to do it.and there not that bad in price.here in dover arkansas.he worked with jimmy lile for a long long time

Bad Water Bill
11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Check out the knife donated by BOER RANCHER, a army vet that finds the rock and makes the whole thing in his home in MO.

white eagle
11-13-2011, 05:10 PM
is Toyata using American made parts
or are they just put together here which if that is the case
aint much better than being on the long boat ride over here

Springfield
11-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Great idea. I haven't been in a Wal-mart in about 5 years and I own 2 Fords and a Chevrolet. Although the Chevy was actually made in Canada, or at least assembled there.

Wayne Smith
11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Toyota has 6 different manufacturing facilities in the United States.

A while back I started buying American made, cottage industry if possible. Found some great folks to deal with. NOE, MiHec, White Label, 7X Leather just to name a few here.

Empire Canvas outta Duluth is great to deal with, lots of old style heavy wool and canvas clothing. I prefer them over Filson. Blind Horse Knives outta Ohio makes the best knives I've ever laid a hand on.

Except that Miha, or MiHec, is in Slovenia! I still have no problem doing business with him and will continue to do so. We make it a point to vacation at least once a year in the mountains where there are a lot of craft artists. We look for potters where ever we go.

redneckdan
11-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Except that Miha, or MiHec, is in Slovenia! I still have no problem doing business with him and will continue to do so. We make it a point to vacation at least once a year in the mountains where there are a lot of craft artists. We look for potters where ever we go.

Ya good point. Been one of those weekends.:veryconfu

Janoosh
11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, White Eagle. I'd never thought of gifting that way. Diner breakfasts are some of my friends favorites. And a number of Female aquaintainces really like homemade "craft" soap and potporri. I may just break into my private stock and gift some brass and bullets to my range rat buddies.

Smoke-um if you got-um
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I read it twice and found myself smiling and agreeing with all of them. We have most, if not all, of those trades somewhere within 20 miles of where I'm sitting right now. A lot of time and thought was put into the posting. I admit it gave me some excellent ideas for Christmas as well as other special occasion's.

Mike

smoked turkey
11-13-2011, 11:29 PM
This is a great way to jump start the local economy. Now we just need to put the plan into action. I too have seen how several of the ideas could work into my Christmas (birthdays too) giving. We always try to drop an offering in the red bucket of the local Salvation Army.

Bad Water Bill
11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
I check where everything is made. Made in the U S A goes in my cart.

I NEVER enter a TARGET store. They are French owned. Do NOT allow Salvation Army bell ringers. Do Not allow the MARINES to collect for Toys for Tots and the list goes on.

DIRT Farmer
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I think the 13th down. A lot of small tradesmen sure could use another small job to afford Christmas for their family and don't expect charity. Get your self a gift, home repair, yard work or whatever and give some else an honest days work. Every one gains.
I remember several years that a side job allowed me to put a few more good old American shells in my boys stocking. ( along with knives, traps and clothes)

P.K.
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
PEOPLE!

Target is French=Surrender Monkies

Where is the problem? We bailed them out of two world wars.......Sheesh! I have never or will ever shop there. Nor will anyone that knows me. I'm fired up on a few things and I guess folks don't like to hear me go on.....Target/French=Folks we fought Germany for. /Folks Obama apoligized too because of our nature.

P.K.
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Well it's time our nature, being AMERICAN did it's job and got rid of an apoligetic SOB.

Rick N Bama
11-15-2011, 06:21 AM
is Toyata using American made parts
or are they just put together here which if that is the case
aint much better than being on the long boat ride over here

Toyota has an engine plant not far from me over in Huntsville, I know of a couple fellows that work there. I have neighbors working for a company supplying parts to Toyota & other Auto Mfgs. My new Toyota Venza is probably as much of an American Auto as any other car or truck.

Rick

theperfessor
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana (TMMI) hires a lot of our boys and girls. They pay well and the money comes into our local community. Lots of parts are made locally also.

Can't disagree with the rest of the OPs sentiments and suggestions, but Toyotas are as much "American Made" as any Ford or Chevy.

lbaize3
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Excellent thread! Lots of good information. Thanks all....

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
all i want for Christmas is a Ruger , its made in USA
well if your looking for a stocking suffer a kholster would be nice also

i definitely agree there are many local artists and crafts people almost every were you go we have potters , leather workers and much more around here

azrednek
11-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Except that Miha, or MiHec, is in Slovenia! I still have no problem doing business with him and will continue to do so.

I don't have a problem buying some foreign made goods but have a real problem with anything made in Red China.

oldgeezershooter
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
It ain't much, but Pilot ball point pens are American made.

runfiverun
11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
i am reading another tom grisham novel in which part of the plot involves american people boycotting red china and switching to taiwan et al..
anyways the chinese had overextended themselves buying materials such as oil and metals on the worlds market.
the boycotting of their products was not propulgated by the government

Janoosh
12-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Less than 10 days left, thought I'd bring this thread up again. Great ideas here. Many of our neighbors are the local waitress or mechanic or small business owner. Time to help them if we can. Sponsors of this great site also.

10x
12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana (TMMI) hires a lot of our boys and girls. They pay well and the money comes into our local community. Lots of parts are made locally also.

Can't disagree with the rest of the OPs sentiments and suggestions, but Toyotas are as much "American Made" as any Ford or Chevy.

My Toyota Tundra was built in the U.S.
I have no idea where my 2006 Chev Savanna was built but the body on it is a ***. It has 75,000 miles on it and it needs over $5000. in body parts. And no it has not been in an accident, the door hinges on the side doors cost $3800.00 in parts. The linkage in the doors is falling appart, the hood latch fell apart. The spare tire retainer fell apart. Plastic headlight holders have simply cracked and broken in the cold. The Air Conditioning lines to the rear have rusted out (another $3800 for parts).
I have owned 6 toyotas in forty years. I have kept most of them for 200,000 miles and they have only cost me gas, oil, tires, and brakes. I can NOT say the same for chev, ford, or dodge.
My 1998 ranger has cost me more in repairs after it was off warrantee than the original purchase price. It has 80,000 miles on it and it has not been abused.

waksupi
12-18-2011, 12:28 AM
I just got home from our muzzleloader club Christmas dinner. One of the gag prizes was a whoopie cushion. Made in America. Cutting edge technology!

geargnasher
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
10x, why, oh WHY did you stop buying Toyotas? I think you've proven to yourself what many already know about them, even the new ones. Money well spent.

Gear

Bad Water Bill
12-18-2011, 02:15 AM
My proof that American mfgrs do not care.

In the 50s VW sent over cars whos doors would close AND lock tight with just your little finger. I could do the same test on a big camper with the same results. Still need more than ONE finger on one of our so called American Mfgrd cars.

Today many foreign companies have assembly plants here using parts made here by U S citizens. Yes money goes out of the country. Buy their stock and bring the money back.

When they MANDATED we had to have a converter to meet the 75? pollution standards I think it was Toyota that took a Chevy engine and re engineered it to exceed the 2000 standards.

The cost difference was about $50.00 to the Chevy corp. They offered the design change which would work on ALL size engines to GM for $2,000,000.00. GM turned them down because they could charge much extra for a converter, pollution pump extra fan belts and pullys and the list went on and on.

Just an old man remembering.

gew98
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
I feel ya guys !. I have lost my love for "american made" vehicles. Too much el-cheapo-ness and cost cutting to afford the UAW costs make jack a dull product. I had an Isuzu spacecab pickup a decade ago and if it were not for a drunk driver that creamed it while it was parked I would likely still be driving it. I'm on my second Ranger PU and it's nothing but problem after problem ( again ) . I won't make that mistake again on my next vehicle purchase... especially since Ford discontinued the Ranger series stateside production . I'll go Honda,Toyota or Isuzu next time round and I sure won't feel bad about it at all.

white eagle
12-18-2011, 11:21 PM
nothing but Brownings for me either
US **** is for the birds