PDA

View Full Version : conversion question 7 mm ultra mag

Lloyd Smale
11-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Ive got a rem bdl in 7mm rem mag and a 7mm ultra barrel. I know the action is long enough but will the mag box and floor plate be the same or did remington use longer ones on the ultras.

Blanket
11-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Action feed rails are different, mag box and follower as well. I did just what you are thinking with the correct box and follower and feeding was poor. Russ

Nobade
11-15-2011, 08:49 AM
When I do this I have to open up the sides of the feed ramp with a die grinder and a stone, and as mentioned above also use an ultramag box and follower.

Keep in mind the 7mm Rem Mag is WAY more fun to shoot. And pretty much does the same thing for about 4 times as long before it's worn out.

Chakta
11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
As stated the 7mm mag is way more fun and far less expensive than any of those Ultra Mags. If your really looking for a big game caliber that covers all those bases and has more knock down (energy) than a 7mm mag caliber, go to the .338 Remington Ultra Magnum. The gunsmithing to do your original task will cost almost as much as a new rifle etc.

Lloyd Smale
11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Ive allready have 3 7mags. So i do know what there capable of. I just want something new to play with. Talking to my buddy whos a gunsmith ive about come to the conclusion that im going to sell one of my 7mags and by a rem sps in 7 ultra instead.

clintsfolly
11-28-2011, 01:41 PM
IMHO smart move Lloyd. Custom work is only cost effective on some thing that not offered or you just want to try some thing different. Clint