PDA

View Full Version : Three new young hunters

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Interesting experience this past week.

A friend has friends down on the Oregon coast. 5 children, 3 teenage boys and a girl still at home.

Well Idaho has some type of a permit/lic for young deer hunters. The young person needs to be with an experienced hunter with a lic. and can hunt for the whitetails in this area.

First day, the youngest got his doe, in the evening from a tree stand. No luck for anyone that morning.

Second evening the next oldest took his doe from the same tree stand.

And finally the oldest boy stuck it out in another cold tree stand for about 5 hours and took his doe the last morning.

Some excited boys!

Deer were all harvested on the local friends property, and from the number of deer being seen in the general area, harvesting these three didn't make much of a dent in the numbers.

Good way to get some more people interested in hunting/shooting!

For sure, I am quickly moving towards the end of my hunting years, so it is good to be training some replacements.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

roverboy
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Thats a great way to start kids out. More kids need to get into hunting.

plmitch
11-12-2011, 10:26 PM
That sounds like a great time for everyone. Teach them young and it will stick with them for life.

1kshooter
11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I am only 37 but I think about the next generation of hunters and fishers...I have started to take kids with my own two out with me and get them started in the sport ...it allways gets me a little choked up to see a youngster get there first!
well done and keep it up!

runfiverun
11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
it's called the youth mentor program.
many of the areas in the state allow kids under 18 the option to take a doe or a buck.
it's a pretty good management program, and i wish i would have had that option when i was younger.
airc it took me about 8-9 years of hunting to get my first deer, and for many years I didn't even own an actual deer rifle, or even bother to go for that matter.
and many times i went, but didn't take a gun or buy a tag.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks runfiverun,

You are correct on the mentor program.

Keep em coming!

CDOC