PDA

View Full Version : Which ladle?

MikeS
11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi All.

I normally cast my boolits using Lyman #2 alloy in a bottom pour pot. When I cast pure for ML boolits I use a ladle. Up until now all my ML moulds have been either single or double cavity moulds. I now have a BigLube 6 cavity mould for my ROA that I've cast from my bottom pour pot (using Lyman #2, boolits are not going to be used for ML), but now I'm getting ready to cast up some pure lead, and this is where my question is. I have both a Lyman ladle, and a Rowell #1 ladle that I had bought for making ingots. Which of these ladles would be better for a 6 cavity mould?

Back when I was only casting with a ladle (the Lyman ladle) I almost always pressure cast, and usually kept the sprue on top of the sprue plate. I've seen videos on YouTube where people cast with a ladle, and basically pour the lead into the cavity, over the top of the mould, on the sides, etc. basically making a mess with lead all over the mould till it's dripping off the sides. Is that really needed, or can I just pour the lead into the cavities, and leave a sprue puddle just on top of the mould?

RU shooter
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
) I almost always pressure cast, and usually kept the sprue on top of the sprue plate. I've seen videos on YouTube where people cast with a ladle, and basically pour the lead into the cavity, over the top of the mould, on the sides, etc. basically making a mess with lead all over the mould till it's dripping off the sides. Is that really needed, or can I just pour the lead into the cavities, and leave a sprue puddle just on top of the mould?
I have never had a mould that needed pressure pouring to cast well, I also use a Lyman ladle ,What I normally do is have the spout about 3/4" above the sprue plate and just pour it into the hole stopping when I have an ample puddle, some moulds need a bigger puddle than others.

mooman76
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I have cast with the Lee ladle for years. There's no need to make a mess of it pouring over the sides. I just make a good size puddle on top and that works. It's fast and easy after you are used to it. No sometimes when I am first starting up if I find the mould is not up to temp yet, I'll pour a little extra and let it drip back into the pot but that's just to help heat the sprue plate.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
The Rowell ladle is the best without question.

I think mine is a #2, but have used it for years.

Have the other type, but that bottom pour Rowell is the clear winner.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Mk42gunner
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
There isn't any reason to make any more mess out of things when using a ladle than when bottom pouring. Each mold will let you know what to do. Try both of your ladles, one might be easier to use, or provide better fillout. I have been known to fill three cavities then refill the ladle for the last three.

I have one mold (SC Ideal 313445)that I absolutely could not get to cast a semi decent boolit by using a ladle, (either a modified soup ladle or an RCBS), the only way I ever got good boolits with it was to pressure fill from a full Lee 4-20. It is probably a venting issue, but I don't shoot that many of them anymore....

Robert

MikeS
11-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Well, I went ahead and cast about 100 of them using the Rowell ladle. I didn't try the Lyman, and now I probably won't again, as the Rowell worked so well. I don't know why, but when I used to use the Lyman ladle, I could never get good fill out unless I pressure cast. Maybe it's because of the larger capacity of the Rowell, or maybe I've just learned more since I used to use the Lyman, or a mix of the two, but I had no problems casting the boolits today. Right when I was done, the mail arrived, and with it my new Accurate mould I had ordered 10 days ago, so after dinner I went back out and cast a bunch more, but those were with my bottom pour pot, and they came out great, Tom really makes a nice mould!

Bullet Caster
11-14-2011, 01:14 AM
I also use a Lee ladel for all my casting. I have a smaller pot and those 255 grain sure use up the lead in a hurry.

Marlin Junky
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
http://theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

http://www.buffaloarms.com/lead_casting_ladles_pr-3900.aspx (It's mind boggling that the RCBS dipper is more expensive than the Rowell#2)

Basically, I use the #1 for double cavity .35 caliber molds and smaller. The #2 is used for big boolits. It's nice to pour enough metal to keep the spure plate warm and I pour over a big pot, so my system doesn't lend itself well to "Lee-sized" furnaces. These big ladles will reduce your power consumption while increasing your boolit weight consistency. They are very flexible in their application and limited only by the casters skill.

MJ

P.S. BTW, pressure is a function of column height and volume in the context of pouring molten metals, nothing else. The reason Lyman recommended holding its ladle's nipple on the sprue plate (which BTW is a very inefficient method) was to provide a reservoir for the sprue. RCBS followed later with a larger ladle which was similar in design because that's what casters were used to. If you want to fill your molds efficiently, buy a Rowell #1 and #2 and learn how to use them. Even if you're still using a Lee pot, you can place the furnace inside a drip pan and cast away with a Rowell #2. You can also use the drip pan to catch sprues so you're casting and cutting sprues in virtually the same spot, thereby further increasing your efficiency.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Interesting Marlin Junky,

I have tried a bottom pour, and personal opinion, didn't like the trip!

Have for a good number of years used a large cast iron pot 40 - 50 lb over an old colman stove.

When not casting boolits for my 45/70, I like to "team cast" with the two of us running 5 or so molds.

This large pot allows for us to keep almost continually casting, and the gas stove supplies enough heat to allow for adding ingets and the sprews back into the pot while maintaining casting temp.

Two of us can cast a lot of handgun boolits in a 2 - 3 hour session!

For the 45/70, using a 465gr - 4 cavity mold made by Bruce - BABore - so I use the same set up but am trying for better and more consistant weights and therefore cast by myself, still using the Rowell and the big pot.

Anyway, interesting to have at least one other person giving positive reports on the Rowell bottom pour ladles.

If people would just try them, I really think the numbers would go waaaaay up!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Marlin Junky
11-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyway, interesting to have at least one other person giving positive reports on the Rowell bottom pour ladles. If people would just try them, I really think the numbers would go waaaaay up!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

There's more than a few of us out there.

MJ