PDA

View Full Version : Honesty at Cast Boolits

Jim
11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I've done a little 'horse trading' lately with a few members of the forum. I was just taping up another box when it occured to me that I'm sending something to a man I've never seen, nevermind never met. He will be sending something to me also.

This is probably the best forum on the net for a number of reasons. One in particular is that there is a trust among members here that is never questioned.

If you ever wonder how trustworthy all our members are, just take a look at the daily posts in "Swappin' & Sellin'". Almost every one of those posts are responded to with an offer to buy or trade, depending on the OP.

How long has it been since somebody was black listed for not holding up to their end of a deal? It's rare, indeed.

There's something about this forum that attracts the better of the casters, handloaders and shooters that are on the web.

Don Purcell
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
So true, It is a haven. Don

Ben
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Like I've said earlier......" You meet the best of the best here."

pdawg_shooter
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I am in Kansas and did a handgun trade with a guy in Florida a while back. He shipped his to my dealer and I shipped mine to his. Never met, never talked. You gotta trust somebody sometime.

thehouseproduct
11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
It's true, I have shipped and have had people ship things before payment was received. And it doesn't phase me to do so.

waksupi
11-11-2011, 05:43 PM
The ones that WERE booted for bad dealings, if you go out and watch on a dark night, you can still see the sparks from their butts bouncing down the pavement.

:lovebooli

hiram1
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
YES good guys here one and all

Jim
11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
The ones that WERE booted for bad dealings, if you go out and watch on a dark night, you can still see the sparks from their butts bouncing down the pavement.

That's funny, Ric!!

HollowPoint
11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I think it's because the hobby of bullet casting is based on traditions handed down from the days when Honor and Integrity were still a normal part of the culture.

It's hard to find that in the general public today.

My dad use to tell us when we were kids, "If you can't keep your word, what the hell good are you?" And he was a raging alcoholic. Despite that addiction, he managed to hang on to some sense of Honor and some sense of Integrity. That's how deeply rooted it was in his generation.

Thankfully, the vast majority of bullets casters on this forum have managed to integrate Honor and Integrity with their traditional bullet casting hobby as well.

I hope you get my point. I'm not saying we're all a bunch of honest but drunken bullet casters.:2 drunk buddies::goodpost:

HollowPoint

trooperdan
11-11-2011, 06:44 PM
HollowPoint,
Nicely expressed! Much better than I could have said but I agree 100% with what you said. BTW, I do like my craft beers! :)

6.5 mike
11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Learned growing up that a mans word & his handshake were better then most written contracts, that has not changed for me.

Dframe
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Learned growing up that a mans word & his handshake were better then most written contracts, that has not changed for me.

Nor has it for me. Guess I'm just old school. When I give my word it's my bond.
I think a lot of the folks here are just like that.

Jim
11-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I admit I have been late a few times on getting a package to the post office. But I have NEVER taken somebody's trade or money and not delivered my end of the deal. Honestly, not only am I not that way, I'm scared to death of the reputation it would bring on me.

clintsfolly
11-11-2011, 07:47 PM
No one dares to try a scam on this board Screw with one and the rest hunt you down and handle it!! I'll get the feathers!!!!! Clint

geargnasher
11-11-2011, 09:20 PM
No one dares to try a scam on this board Screw with one and the rest hunt you down and handle it!! I'll get the feathers!!!!! Clint

True, and no telling how many scammers get nipped in the bud by our staff before they even have a chance to do evil, but I don't think it's the threat of consequences that keeps people straight here, I agree with Jim that this board is simply filled with good, honest folks to begin with.

Gear

Big Boomer
11-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Gear, you are right.

I have both bought and sold on this forum and have not been disappointed, nor did those to whom I sold an item or items complain. If a man is not as good as his word, he is not worth much!

I don't post very often but I read the posts a lot and have learned a great deal from this group. Appreciate everyone at Cast Boolits. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

badbob454
11-11-2011, 10:01 PM
We're a fine bunch of men ... and women

i was once talking to a guy at a gun show said he never got a bad check at a gun show
shows the integrity of the people here and gun owners . in general , after all they have guns don't mess with them ..he he

frkelly74
11-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I saw mention above of a mans word being better than a written contract. The written contract is mostly a vehicle that carries in it the traps and loopholes and dirty tricks that one person wants to perpetrate on another person. At least that has been my experience.

Most unpleasantness can be avoided if people just treat others as they would like to be treated.

mroliver77
11-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I got a mold in the mail from one of the long time members here a couple years back. I had bought and sold a few things close together and could not really even remember the deal. It kept bugging me till I went and read PM's, emails and looked at check book. I found no evidence of having paid for it. I sent a PM asking him if I had paid. "I dunno" was his answer. After checking his records he found no evidence either of being paid. I sent it promptly and all was well. I am very happy that this type of trust is common here.

If I stiff anybody it is not because I aimed to it is because sometimes Mr. Brain is not firing on all 8 cylinders.

SmuvBoGa
11-11-2011, 10:57 PM
We are ALL Good Looking, TOO ! - No joke, there CAN be honor & fair dealings. This is nice, Gentlemen.

JohnMc

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-11-2011, 11:44 PM
my swapping and selling has been a most pleasant experience, i have also received offers from other members for a few of this or that to try , when i wasn't even asking , maybe just had a question.

i have turned down some of the overwhelming generosity also , as i didn't feel i could adequately
pay it forward to settle my conscience , how foreign a concept that must be for some but i am sure, not to many of you here.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-12-2011, 12:05 AM
We're a fine bunch of men ... and women

i was once talking to a guy at a gun show said he never got a bad check at a gun show
shows the integrity of the people here and gun owners . in general , after all they have guns don't mess with them ..he he

I had seen some statistics at one time about Michigan concealed carry holders , some very large percentage of the general population of Michigan had been convicted of a felony like 1 in 5 not sure exactly what it was but it seemed very high yet something like 1 in 32 or more CC card holders had even a speeding ticket in the last 5 years.

so there may be something to guns and honest people. i know a lot of you are CCW CCP CCL holders

so when you come up behind my car and i am doing 55 in a 55 your just going to have to pass me , i got my one speeding ticket , enough years ago , and yes really i was late for church but that was no excuse for speeding , but when i realized i could buy a rifle for my 167.50 in ticket (that was the minimum ticket at the time) i just started leaving earlier. or calling to say i would be late.

PatMarlin
11-12-2011, 12:52 AM

lol ...:mrgreen:

Rangefinder
11-12-2011, 01:49 AM
My take on the matter is, to put it in simple terms, that this "hobby" (if you can call it something so subtle and refrain from using terms like obsession, lunacy, addiction, etc) isn't exactly the hip, new, modern fashion in things to do with your spare time. It doesn't have buttons or a WiFi signal, doesn't come with downloadable songs or sounds, etc. It's just a little bit older in design and much deeper in the commitment requirements involved. Is it really any surprise that those who are as deeply rooted in such a thing might have a bit more character behind them? I'm not surprised in the least. Honored to be present, but not surprised by the quality involved.

a.squibload
11-12-2011, 03:05 AM
You WOULD mention that.
I just spent a couple hours trying to add an email account to a new Iphone,
had to get it for the job, seems paper is required but is too slow.
I was able to add my Gmail account to the Iphone so I know it works.

Anyway the client's site has no email server, so they recommended Incredimail.
Got Incredimail to read email from the client's site, but can't get the right combination
of info to add the Incredimail account to the Iphone.
Got frustrated, turned it off and logged on here.
Any insight would be helpful.

And yes, in my few dealings on Swap & Sell and Group Buy (maybe too many!),
no problems, good treatment, and sometimes surprise when I receive an item
and know the check hasn't had time to clear.

Glad I found this group, thanks for letting me hang around.:grin:

bob208
11-12-2011, 08:59 AM
i have never dealings with anyone here. but i would not give it second thought to do it .

i have bought machine and tractor parts off ebay never had a problem. bought guns and gun parts off auction arms and gun broker. never had a problem.

when i had my shop open doing welding and machine work i would get bruned at least 1-2 times a month.

casterofboolits
11-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I have bought three times and sold once with only one small problem. I was a bit late getting the payment out on my last buy. I had a stroke last August and was in the hospital for ten days and then transferred to a nursing home for rehab.

My daughter came to visit the first week I was in the nursing home. The letter was on my "puter desk" ready to go, so I had my daughter pick up the letter and dig the money (stashed behind the photos) out of the innards of my wallet, buy a money order and send it off.

I was raised to keep my word at all costs. :redneck:

steg
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I think alot of it is the way we were brought up, but their is alot of personal choice there also, I'm 65 years old and I've never cheated anyone in my life, though I've been cheated many times for being trusting, but never on this site, or any others like it, I go by the Golden Rule and thats my choice, and I believe that is also the choice of many of the members here..........steg

MtGun44
11-13-2011, 01:50 AM
I once thought we had a dishonest member here. It sure looked like it, no doubt. I was real
surprised and disappointed.

In the long run we found out that we were wrong and the member was a good person that
had run into some bad times and overload. He made everything right and is a solid person.
I would never say who it was.

So - I can say - "I once thought we had a bad member, but turns out I was wrong."

Good folks here, in my experience. Wouldn't stay around otherwise.

Bill

waksupi
11-13-2011, 02:30 AM
I oncethlought we had a dishonest member here. It sure looked like it, no doubt. I was real
surprised and disappointed.

In the long run we found out that we were wrong and the member was a good person that
had run into some bad times and overload. He made everything right and is a solid person.
I would never say who it was.

So - I can say - "I once thought we had a bad member, but turns out I was wrong."

Good folks here, in my experience. Wouldn't stay around otherwise.

Bill

Bill, you must have forgot the great mountain man sharpening stone debacle! :takinWiz:

Treetop
11-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I couldn't agree more with the OP and all who posted before me! I once bought a mold from a Cast Boolit member. Not only did he make sure that I knew all of that particular mold's shortcomings beforehand. He sent the mold to me BEFORE I sent him my M.O! And all of this at a very reasonable price for an obsolete Lyman mold. He treated me EXACTLY the way I treat people. I love it here! Tt.

MtGun44
11-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Waksupi,

I was not in on that one, seems like I remember something like that going on, but never
knew the particulars. The case I was thinking about was a private sale, although there were
at least two of us that "got cheated", maybe more. In the end, it was just a member that
had life hand him a "$#!* sandwich" and he just had to work on other things for a while,
regardless of what we thought. When he got back to us, it was pretty clear that we had
misjudged the man and every thing was fixed up and then some.

Story me about the 'mountain man sharpening stone debacle', if it is OK to discuss in the
open forum.

Bill

waksupi
11-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Waksupi,

I was not in on that one, seems like I remember something like that going on, but never
knew the particulars. The case I was thinking about was a private sale, although there were
at least two of us that "got cheated", maybe more. In the end, it was just a member that
had life hand him a "$#!* sandwich" and he just had to work on other things for a while,
regardless of what we thought. When he got back to us, it was pretty clear that we had
misjudged the man and every thing was fixed up and then some.

Story me about the 'mountain man sharpening stone debacle', if it is OK to discuss in the
open forum.

Bill

Do a search for "Riverwalker", it will entertain you for an hour or two.

P.K.
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Do a search for "Riverwalker", it will entertain you for an hour or two.

That one right there should go on the required reading list for the swappin' n' sellin' area. What a nightmare. :coffeecom

41 mag fan
11-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Man I thought those were shooting stars and the satellites falling back to earth!!

IMHO, I think the gun culture has a breed of people in it that honesty and integrity go hand in hand with.
Everyone on here looks out for the other fellow member. Just to show an example

i'm on medical leave this month, was in on a GB, forgot I was on that GB, put my name in again stating if it was on schedule for dec, I'd be interested.
Al, let me know I was already on the GB, but since I was on med leave, and short of funds, he'd keep me on the list, make the mold up and he'd hold it till I got back to work. Granted he could eventually sell if I didn't pay, (which I did when I found out I was on it) but it was the thought and the trust and just a genuine integrity of helping out a fellow castboolits member that really got to me.
I don't think theres a person on here who wouldn't do the same for another member, but it's hard to get a neighbor to do something like this, let alone someone you've never met.

Linstrum
11-15-2011, 04:50 AM
To quote 41 mag fan:
"IMHO, I think the gun culture has a breed of people in it that honesty and integrity go hand in hand with.
Everyone on here looks out for the other fellow member."

~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+~-(&)-~+

Yup, I was going to say something along that line yesterday, but you beat me to it!

I think in general that people who are self-reliant and absolutely love to do things for themselves have an inherent respect for others. I don't know how that works, but I see it often enough to know that there is some kind of connection there. It probably has something to do with being able to see THE BIGGER PICTURE better than most, THE BIGGER PICTURE being about how the world should work so that we have what we need to live well and get along with each other better. It is also about knowing when THE BIGGER PICTURE is not working correctly and knowing what to do to fix it plus having the willingness to do so.

rl 1012

JJC
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't trust many people. But here for some reason I do. I put things in the mail and all was good. I had a member tell me we were complete strangers but I treated him like a friend. Thought that was nice. Can't agree more with what has been said about fellow casters and shooters.

captaint
11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I tend to trust people on this site more than anywhere else. I spend very little time on other websites anyway. This is where the good info is. This is where the good people are. If I'm Swappin & Sellin, I will look to see how long an individual has been around here. So many brand new folks selling stuff - drive by's. I don't view them the same as the Regulars. Mike

buck1
11-15-2011, 01:30 PM
When you get as opinionated as us , there is just no time to be dishonest! LOL

runfiverun
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
i think it has to do with the fact that we are willing to do the extra work involved to make the boolits, then to make them work properly in a particular firearm.
and we take the time to measure,weigh,scrounge,buy, borrow,modify and fret
this requires extra effort and time.
there are no shortcuts.
this is carried over into,or brought over from "real life".

shooterg
11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
What, we have maybe 5-6 miscreants outed in the "deadbeat" thread, out of 10,000+ ?

That's a level of honesty I doubt is even approached in the general population. Quite a few opinionated curmudgeons here, but they be HONEST curmudgeons !

waksupi
11-16-2011, 01:54 AM
What, we have maybe 5-6 miscreants outed in the "deadbeat" thread, out of 10,000+ ?

That's a level of honesty I doubt is even approached in the general population. Quite a few opinionated curmudgeons here, but they be HONEST curmudgeons !

Count again. we are approaching 21,000! :holysheep

shooterg
11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I knew someone in the know would post the number . Maybe we could have a "counter" at top of the site to track ? Amazing how it's grown. So those 6 represent less than .03 of a percent . We're more than 99.97% honest here !

waksupi
11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I knew someone in the know would post the number . Maybe we could have a "counter" at top of the site to track ? Amazing how it's grown. So those 6 represent less than .03 of a percent . We're more than 99.97% honest here !

Go to the main forum page, and scroll to the bottom. Also shows how many posts and threads there are.
By the way, we also set a record for the most people on line at one time the past few days.

Doc_Stihl
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
I just completed a transaction on the site. Bought 3 molds and 2 barrels sight unseen. Sent a Money Order for $300+ , the seller sent the package before receiving the funds.

Everything came as expected and I'm very pleased. That's a sign of a good community.

Ronbo256
11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
I'll say this is a great online community, I've had 2 people send me packages full of boolits to try on there own dime without receiving anything from me first. Lots of great people and good advice here!

Bullet Caster
11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Now it's time for my $.02 worth.
I've been to many web sites dealing with guns, ammo, etc. but here I have a home away from home. I agree with all who have posted on this thread. I haven't found such a nice a community as this one is. I use the chat room for my personal entertainment 'cause TV just don't get it. Now bear in mind I do have a 55" hangin' on the wall, but I find the chatroom a lot more entertaining and informative. My wife keeps telling me, "but you don't know the person." I keep tellin' her that you've just got to trust people sometimes. Now I haven't purchased or traded with anyone yet, but I would not hesitate to. Every member I have come into contact with has been a stellar person and I am happy to be a part of a community that are made up of individuals such as yourselves. It seems to me that the inherent trust comes from being responsible for not only firearms, but where that bullet or boolit may land. Keep up the good work, gentlemen and ladies; this is the best of any forum you could visit. BC

Buckshot
11-20-2011, 02:23 AM
..............The camaraderie goes WAY back to Shooters.com where Ammohead figured there were several of us living maybe not 'Next Door', but close enough for a get together? That was in 2000. There were 5 members, their wives and kids. In June 2012 we'll have the 13th Annual NCBS (Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot) held in Winnemucca, NV. I suspect there will be upwards of 40 shooters including wives and children.

You should check it out. Go to the "Our Town" forum then the "Get-Togethers, Competition and Results" sub-forum. Up top is a sticky for the 2011 shoot. You'll have to scroll back through the years to see the others.

If you have buddies who like to shoot, and/or notice other members that may be close to you, it'd sure be worthwhile to put something together, even if it's only for one day. The first NCBS was held at Topaz Lake, NV and no one knew each other's real names. My wife couldn't believe this was all dreamed up by 5 adult men, and we weren't even organized enough to know each others names. Didn't really matter much. We all found each other wihtout too much hassle :-)

..............Buckshot

Clinebo
11-20-2011, 02:57 AM
I have nothing but good to say about this site. I have learned a ton of things since signing up. And I have bought and sold thanks to the ads here. Happy Thanksgiving to all! :)

Chicken Thief
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Im a nutter from far away and here's my thoughts:

1) You have to be/have a special personality to have/use guns legally. It it a big responsibility to handle something that deadly in an always proper manner. That makes you special. (Strict/proper upbringing when guns are involved?)

2) Reloading is a lot of work and takes way long to master (so the wannabees will usually be culled before getting in here). Investing that much time and money into a hobby/(Lifestyle) takes patience and dedication (so much for the SMS generation).

3) Shooters are much like bikers, treat them proper and you'll never get into trouble. P!** on them and they'll man up and give you he**.

4) As for here, well: If the folks here has been through the above three "sieves" then we're left with a "few good men".

I have done deals and felt treated way better than promished, i have called for shipping favors and have always gotten help from members that asked for nothing inreturn.