PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Top-Punch

don45
11-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I've been testing new bullet lube and have loaded it in my Saeco Lube Sizer.
I'm trying to size 311291, 311284, 311466 and 311467.
From references I've seen these all use either saeco 465 or 467. I have the 467 but not the 465 which is for a more round nose. It also seems to not match the 284' and the 467 punch marks the bullet nose with a distinct ring.

Do you know the correct top punch for these, particularly the 311284 and 311291?
Remember the saeco uses the screw-in punches, not the Lyman style.

Also, I've heard of making these using epoxy to match the bullet exactly. How do you do this?

Iron Mike Golf
11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I have a SAECO lubrisizer. I have used Lymand and RCBS style top punches in it by just using some lube to "glue" it to the frame.

Also check out http://www.hollowpointmold.com for Lyman/RCBS to SAECO top punch adapters.

As to using epoxy to customize a top punch:

1. Stetch plastic wrap or cling film over the bullet nose
2. Mix up the expoxy
3. Put some in the top punch
4. Seat the bullet in the top punch
5. Wait

Some folks have used hot melt glue instead of epoxy so they could un-do things.

I have also used SAECO to punches on non-SAECO bullet designs and used a stone and sandpaper to ease the edge. In some cases, this was enough to eliminate the ring. YMMV according to your aloy hardness. Mine is 14 BHN and higher.

theperfessor
11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Email me, I've got what you need.

sig2009
11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Email me, I've got what you need.

The professor stuff is top notch. I have ordered various top punches from him. Both flat and cone. I made my round nose with JB weld with the cone punch he supplied me and it fits like a glove. I was casting with a saeco mold and their top punch did not fit the profile and it was for that mold. I recently ordered a 9mm and 40 S&W flat punch and they work great!!!!

Thanks Keith!

41 mag fan
11-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Can't go wrong with theperfessor.
Keiths a really good guy to deal with, and just overall a nice guy to be friends with.
I've got close to a 1/2 doz, I think of his top punches.

Now if I can talk him into making sizers for my RCBS.......I'm still working on him, he'll cave eventually!!