PDA

View Full Version : New leather for old colt

FrankG
11-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Traded for an lil Colt 38 an thought it needed a holster. After a little sketching and fudging on the pattern this is what I got stitched up. I put a little forward kick to butt for crossdraw worn on left.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/ModocWrangler/Holsters/ColtPP001.jpg

Dan Cash
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Fine looking classic holster.

plmitch
11-11-2011, 01:12 AM
very nice work done there

FrankG
11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks fellas ! I like the western flavored leather . Still trying to figure out something for my 500 S&W . Maybe something like a rifle scabbord worn across chest and hip :Fire:

plmitch
11-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks fellas ! I like the western flavored leather . Still trying to figure out something for my 500 S&W . Maybe something like a rifle scabbord worn across chest and hip :Fire:

be sure to post a pic of what you make for that 500s&w

Tristan
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Great bit of kit there, Frank!

11-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Very nicely done.

Dutchie
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Indeed, nice ,also a question.

Shouldn't the trigger be a bit more covered to be sure to don't have a mishap, like a premature thingy ?

Hans.

FrankG
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Shouldn't the trigger be a bit more covered to be sure to don't have a mishap, like a premature thingy ?

Hans.

Nopey not on a sort of Western style .

helice
12-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice work.
Glad to see that other folks appreciate the cross draw.

Hang Fire
01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Very nice leather work, you did good.

I recently bought a early (Colt Letter mfg 1886) black powder frame Colt SAA and it came with a period holster. The holster has no markings whatsoever, it was dirty and dried but no cracks, saddle soap and neatsfoot oil brought it back to life. From carrying the muzzle beat the bottom stitching out, I have considered having it restiched, but not sure if that would hurt collector value or not. The holes are all there, couild it be done to match original stitching?

In pic, if gun was shoved in, the holster would swallow it with over 2" of barrel sticking out.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010279.jpg

Springfield
01-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Unless you are going to sell it collector value, if any, doesn't matter. I have re-sewn quite a few old leather goods and mostly I don't like it because old leather tends to be rotted and you can't do a good job sewing without tearing through the old holes. It is also difficult to exactly match up the old thread. With MY old leather I re-do I tend to just re-sew the whole thing. Takes longer but then I don't charge myself that much! If that was MY holster I would just re-do the whole length with this nice older offwhite/yellow thicker cotton thread that I have. Then oil it a bit and no one would be able to tell it was re-done. If you do decide to have it re-sewn make sure they are going to do it by hand, no machine. The last thing you need is a new set of holes poked in your holster, it's weak enough already.

FrankG
01-01-2012, 03:45 PM
If you look online you can find Barbours Irish Linen stitching cord in different weights.

The old leather was generally stitched with a waxed linen cord/thread from what I have read . I use 5 cord linen when hand stitching.

FrankG
01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
My bud picked up a S&W 32-20 and I thought it needed some leather . I sort of an ti qued it a bit to match some . I made it cross draw style for him .

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/ModocWrangler/sw27007.jpg

ADfields
01-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Very nice work there, I love doing leather work also. For your S&W 500 the best way to go is a good chest rig. I have X-frames also, two 460Vs (5”) and a 460XVR and all pack nicely in chest rigs. I have a Diamond-D Guides Choice (made here in Anchorage Alaska) I bought then I copped it for many other guns because it’s the best there is when you got to pack all summer for bears.
Diamond-D Leather (http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php)

idahomike
10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Fine looking leather there sir. I like the classic lines to go with the classic wheelguns. Keep up the good work.

Dan Cash
10-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Hans.

The covered trigger guard is a relatively recent concept intended to keep amatures and nincompoops from shooting themselves. Said persons should practice methodically drawing an UNLOADED handgun in a safe area until muscle memory develops and the finger is kept off the trigger. A covered hammeer and trigger may have value if one is working in very dense brush but that is a specialized and uncommon event.

Wayne Smith
10-18-2012, 09:02 AM
The covered trigger guard is a relatively recent concept intended to keep amatures and nincompoops from shooting themselves. Said persons should practice methodically drawing an UNLOADED handgun in a safe area until muscle memory develops and the finger is kept off the trigger. A covered hammeer and trigger may have value if one is working in very dense brush but that is a specialized and uncommon event.

That completely depends on where you live, Dan. East of the Mississippi it is probably more common than not. Around here going into the woods means dealing with Virginia Creeper and lots of other small stuff. I want close to a full flap.

_Hawkeye_
10-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Very nice leather work, you did good.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010279.jpg

Love this, feels like the old west to me.

PS Paul
10-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Nice work there, frank. Bu din't we see recently you were trying to "thin the collection" and get rid of some of your guns and NOT get more?:kidding:

FrankG
10-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Ya .....I know ...kinda like a racoon .....attracted to shiny things ! ha ha ha ha!!!!!!