PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal and 1:12 twist and heavy bullets

RU shooter
11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I am watching a thread on another forum on twist rates in this case 30 cal. with a 1:12 , The conversation was mainly around jacketed bullets so I though I would get the opinion here relating to cast bullets and their generally lower speeds.So here it is, would a heavy cast bullet say the 311299/290/284 stabilize well enough in the 1:12 twist at lower speeds say down to subsonic levels if not is there a threshold for the speed or is it all dictated by the twist rate only. If possible how long/heavy would you say one could go. Also does barrel length have any effect on the outcome

Thanks,Tim

MT Chambers
11-10-2011, 07:31 PM
My .300 whisper shoots the long bullets more accurately at top speeds than it does at subsonic, it is a 1-12" barrel. I have 3 other .30 cal. rifles that have 1-12" twist and are accurate with loads over 1800fps, these latter 3 have not been tried subsonically.

1Shirt
11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Trial and error produces either satisfactory or unsatisfactory results. Try the long ones and see. All rifle bbls, like all women have different personalities, and what you feed them may produce different outcomes.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

sqlbullet
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Velocity does matter as well. And, generally speaking, heavier lead bullets can succeed where jacketed can't. Has to do with the fact the, generally speaking, a lead bullet will be shorter than a jacketed bullet of the same weight.

Barrel length should have no bearing, all other things being equal, which they aren't.

And, as 1Shirt says, each barrel is different. If you aren't at the limits, the personalities don't matter as much. Push them to the edge, and they really show their own unique charms (also applies to women).