PDA

View Full Version : Shooting w/o gas checks?

Ohio Rusty
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Recently a fellow gave me about 100 158 gr. LSWC boolits that have a recess around the bottom where a gas check can be crimped on. The problem is I don't own gas checks, or have any machines to apply gas checks. It wouldn't be worth it to buy something for 100 boolits or less, so I assume I can shoot these just like any other lead boolit without gas checks? They are hard, like they were made from wheel weights as I can't hardly scratch them with a fingernail.
Thanx ...
Ohio Rusty

mooman76
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I assume that they are pistol bullets. I'd just shoot them. I have heard that it does matter to a degree but since pistols shoot at a lower velocity I don't believe it matters as much. It is said the heat when firing will cut onlong the missing gas check area and cause leading sooner than a flat based bullet. Also pistols are easier to remove a little leading than a long gun so shoot and enjoy!

TDB9901
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
They may not be quite as accurate without the checks, as with, but they should shoot just fine. At normal pistol velocities, I doubt the difference in leading is even worth mentioning, all else being equal.

Tom

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I've gotten by with leaving out the gascheck in pistol target loads, and shot a LOT of .45/70 RCBS 45/70 400 gr. boolits naked at 1300 fps, with no troubles.

44man
02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Forget the leading problems! What you have to match is the boolit drive area to the twist. When you leave off the check, you lose a drive band and if the boolit is then too short for the twist rate it will not be accurate. If it is still long enough it will shoot just fine. The only way to tell is to shoot them in your gun.
There is no pat answer.